Help with Cable... and stuff

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Orsino2, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My old computer managed to crap out on me. I believe it's just the power supply, but I didn't have one that fit it, so I got this computer from a relative who didn't want it... :p Anyway, I'm running dial-up at the moment. Not just any dial-up buttttt... the dreaded AOL. A friend is letting me borrow his S/N and all until I can get things resolved.

Anyway, AOL is currently set as the default ISP and I have a motorola surfboard cable modem connected and all... and I have it connected via ethernet. I can't seem to manage to get it to work. I went to properties but was left clueless...

Help. :)

2. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

What OS are you running?

3. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

cable usually comes with some cd's, some configuration stuff, or the like.

did you get any of those?

4. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Is the ethernet card in the box working properly? TCP/IP protocol installed?

5. _ian_

_ian_ Member

ok here are a few suggestions. first off if you have a cable connection and its working i would junk that horrable aol software. i was never a fan of it... asside from the fact that you dont need a browser built to store a ton of cookies and miages to "speed up" a connection (dialup) thats already been outdated and slow. now on to your ethernet card. if it is working, say you can ping something like www.yahoo.com from command prompt, or your browser works then yout allset. if not i would start by pulling the power out of cable modem and let is sit for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. around here that will generally solve any issues with the modem and your box. if thats not it try uninstalling and reinstalling your ethernet drivers. if your on 2k or xp dose should have saved the drivers and you should have no problems. generally that should set everything back to default, so say they had a static ip on there old network and your not to fimiliar with going through the settings, thats the easy way. if you are then check out the propertys on your tcp/ip settings for the ethernet connection. set everything to manual and try resetting the modem again. that should generally do it. no go get yourself firefox and your off and running....

6. the6peace8keeper

the6peace8keeper Born Again Satanist

Most the time when you just hook it up it appears your on the net, but its only a half truth, your cable company has to est. a link between your puter and thier server, so if you call the cable company cust support they should talk you through a few minute process to do this, this is how it was when I had cable.

7. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

whats wrong with AOL? im just wondering.. lol

8. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

AOL is just too slow for the price you pay. :p

Alrighty, I solved the problem myself. I went to properties on my computer and added the cable modem and then reconnected the coaxial cable and I was done. All taken care of.