Help With Bad Trip.

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by hippieatheart, Aug 24, 2005.

1. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

me and my friend tried shrooms 2 times before. my trips were okay and fun, but both times my friend would get really scared and just cry and freak out the whole time. i want to be able to have fun with her when we do shrooms, and not sitting and having to tell her theres nothing to worry about. i dont know how else to say it can be a good trip. can anyone else give me advice?

2. Weatherman

Weatherman Member

Have her hippyflip.

3. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

Tell her that there's absolutely no reason to freak out. I can't stand people who have bad trips. I can't even comprehend how people have bad trips, it makes no sense. Trip on a bright, sunny day and go outside. If she has a bad trip then, then tell her never to do mushrooms again.

4. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

good idea...it's like 5x as intense... well, it's probably better that she stays away from mushrooms/lsd/etc..

5. somethingwitty

somethingwitty Member

If someone is flipping out for no reason (ie the setting is good, etc.) then the problem is with them personally, and not the drugs. Doing more drugs is probably only going to exacerbate the problem.

6. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

yeah thanks for the help, we're planning on trippin again soon, i'll just have to calm her down or something. i dont want her to have anymore bad trips

7. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

Don't push your friend. Some people do not respond well to major psychedelics, some people even have total mental breakdowns if they are prone to that. If she is telling you something seems wrong, then the smart thing to do is to listen. It's her body telling her that something is not right.

8. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

the psychedelic expirience is a product of dose, set, and setting...if one keeps these three factors in check, a bad trip isnt possible.

your friends bad trips are a result of her state of mind....she'll have to figure out for herself how to change that.

9. Weatherman

Weatherman Member

How do you figure? Not cognitively, and if they're good rolls it should completely remove the "dark side" of the mushroom trip.

10. Dan67

Dan67 Member

Drugs don't give you bad trips if you don't take them. Drugs have become a false god for many people. See my site and get a clue.

11. Blind_Melon_Chitlin'

Blind_Melon_Chitlin' Member

Yeah, it says nothing about tripping in the Bible, guess you're out of luck...

12. Flabbergast

Flabbergast Member

This is very naive IMHO. Please keep in mind that the 'dose/set/setting' equation was generated by rather sophisticated *adults*, Leary, Alpert, Huxley and their ilk, who had quite a bit of living experience and had wrestled with some fundamentals of existence, personally and professionally. In other words, they were PREPARED for the experience. Just the inability for most teenagers to *really* control their set and setting (such as, having to sneak off to even DO such things, easily increasing the 'fear' vibe to those already susceptible to it) should make it pretty obvious just how easily they CAN happen to people who *think* they are controlling their environment to the best of their ability.

Furthermore, there IS such a thing as biochemistry. Personally I find the concept of 'chemical imbalance', which is a polite way of saying 'chemical FLAW', to be a bit suspect if not just outright WRONG on so many levels. However I think it is pretty easy to see that humans are put together differently, and their chemistry can be a volatile brew -- we *still* don't know much about how various chemical 'aberattions' (if we must call them that) react to psychedelic alkaloids.

I think the 'chemical imbalance freakout' is hyped in the anti-drug propaganda, for sure, but I think it is reactionary to act like it DOESN'T happen, although not as much as people are led to believe.

I agree with those who have told you -- Don't push your friend. At best, she's just not in a place in her life where she's ready for this --- And at worst, there could be some serious psycho-physiology coming unglued and there is not reason to hurry it along. Chill out. Find other things to do with her that are mutually gratifying; find other people to do your self-medicating experiments with and don't drag her along unwillingly.

13. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Drugs don't give you bad trips if you observe dose/set/and setting too ;-)

14. tumbledownDNA

tumbledownDNA Member

i think everyone here is right on a relative scale. its true that if dose/set/setting are kept in check a bad trip is virtually impossible. if the setting is controlled according to the person's set (psychological mindset and phsyiological temperment/neruo constitution) it can even be useful in solving some of the psychological blocks in people. but, its also true that in this society, certain aspects of our common setting are impossible to remove in the short term, especially at that age (such as having to sneak around authority simply to do such things). not to mention the sexual/status bulshit that highschool brings - that can fuck with your head

leary and huxley were able to break free from that and use these drugs from a scientific standpoint. they realized that in order for psychs to be useful widescale, society must change and begin to realize the different methods and needs of different people. they realized that every individual is different, and if they had succeeded, our society might be willing to cater to those needs. but unfortunately thats not the case. this is why the drug subculture is so lacking, what with all the emphasis on money as opposed to the art, ideas etc. from the 1960's - authority has cracked down so hard that psychs are no longer a tool of the mind but another party. its up the individual to know if they can transcend the set and setting that society has forced them into. but it takes responsibility.

here's my advice. before you do shrooms again, talk with her about it. assure her that you are her real freind, that you care about her and are open to anything. it may be the fact that when she's going nuts in her mind she feels like no one could understand. set a comfort level with her that will last. then, when you eat them (and wait a while) go to the woods. another thing is that each drug is differnet and i have found mushrooms to be much more conducive to natural settings, getting back to the organic growing blooming being that you both are, away from society's plastic factory feel. wheras with acid which is more cosmic, beyond the earth and clear, society seems funny. with mushrooms, go to nature far from any form of authority. go watch the sunrise and give her some headfones (playing the dead of course haha) and i can almost guarantee the experience will be unforgettable (in agood way)

15. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Some people should stay away from drugs, and maybe she is one of them.

16. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i tend to think that the biochemistry of the mind is but a symptom of thinking patterns....as it is our thinking patterns that create and shape the reality in which we live, and not the other way around. so basically what this all comes down to is, whether or not an individual knows how to operate the human mind, and unfortunatly, its seems many if not most do not. and that is why psychedelics arent for the majority.

17. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

what about the "forbidden fruit"?...that after ingested would make one like the gods, or somthing to that effect. lol

18. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

...have you ever tried it? I have mixed mushrooms and rolls twice. I don't really get the "dark side" of mushrooms. But both of my experiences with this mixture, were very intense trips. fun, but definently not for the first couple times. Both trips were VERY visual. I think if an individual wants to use these drugs together, they first should be comfortable with the specific effects, separately.

19. Flabbergast

Flabbergast Member

I concur completely. I am not arguing that the 'set & setting' are not paramount here, but I would caution against repeating it like some kind of rote mantra that makes it *very* similar to some type of psychedelic religious orthodoxy. When someone claims that 'bad trips aren't POSSIBLE' as long as you control set/setting, then I can only think:

A) You have never had one (yet). But man just wait until you do...

or

B) You're not willing to admit that controlling set and setting is a pretty heavy thing to do sometimes, one that requires quite a bit of mental independence, emotional development, AND sometimes *physical independence* (once again, the ability to actually CHOOSE your setting and not have to run off into the shadows to do this stuff. This *can* be possible for many younger people; for many others it's just not a possibility)

I'm not trying to suggest anybody shouldn't experiment. But I think it is being overly simplistic to lay everything at the feet of 'set/setting'. In a theoretical and scientific way, it is completely correct. But in terms of how that manifests *in day to day realities* it doesnt always work so smoothly.

The only reason I am bothering to respond to this, really, is because there is an undertone (a fairly overt undertone, actually :D ) of hostility or negative criticism against the PEOPLE who experience bad trips. First, that is sad because these experiences should be part of growth -- whether viewed as 'psychology blocks' or just part of a person's life process -- and treated with respect and reflection, and are NOT something to be ashamed over. I sense a bit of adolescent testosterone in the room when someone hints 'You're a pussy if you have a bad trip.' If you've been in the grip of the terrifying paroxsysms that can occur whilst dancing with these 'allies', you should know how foolish that sounds. Personally, I have been through many experiences that fell somewhere in between 'good and bad'.. kind of like a roller-coaster ride, fun house and House of Horrors rolled into one. Remember that Huxley's 2nd most famous book on the subject was titled "Heaven AND Hell"... the psychodrama is part of the whole process. If a person can grapple with what they are shown, they can often transcend it ... If they can't, they may end up having a bit of a hard time, to say the least. This is no remark on a person's integrity or character. It just is.

In spite of all a person's sincere attempts to control their environment, it only takes one little thing to send things off into a bizarre tilty-whirl of chaos. Whether you subscribe to chaos theory or not, any psychedelic voyager must realize it's importance, it's positive potential as well as it's risks. One key to controlling that set/setting equation is to have someone with you who is *more experienced* and that is capable of shifting the paradigm (so to speak) if a bad experience starts to occur. This takes a person who has not only a bit of self-knowledge, but someone who knows the other person (who is having the bad experience) well enough to talk them around to more postive places.

Again, I'm not trying to belittle anybody here but I think it pays to remember that Leary, Huxley and others who were proscribing the universal benefits of consciousness expansion, and claiming that we only had to be aware of set and setting, were doing so from their luxurious California beachfront property or fine English manors. If I was in THAT setting I think my trips would be pretty cushy too. Seriously. The equation doesn't work quite as simply if you live, say, in East LA, or suburban Kansas City, and are relegated to the streets or your friend's basement to undertake your 'experiments'. When you claim that bad trips "aren't possible" unless you are 'doing it wrong', you are making a very strong implied judgement about the people who have had such experiences. And I think that is in error. Just something to think about.
    peace,
    Flabber

20. Weatherman

Weatherman Member

I've hippyflipped three times and every time was a blast. I had no problems getting right into it. I will say the come down was a little rough on one trip, but I couldn't even imagine any freakout potential.