Help me out here

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by Foppful, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Foppful

Foppful Member

A few questions:

The 2 plants are about 2 inches tall right now, with small green leaves at the top, in 4 inch diameter pots. They're in a 1X1 foot box covered with aluminum foil to reflect light. There's a flourecent 45 watt light stationed ~10 centimeter away from the plants, on 24 hours a day. The little room is about 5 feet tall, 4 feet long, and 2 feet wide. It is an enclosed area. This is in the attic

When is a good time to switch to a 150 or 250 metal halide light? How tall should they be?

The leaves are completely green, but the stems are purplish, is this okay? Does this mean that it's too cold?

Are there any small heater I can buy that would fit for the dimensions of this room? I'm not looking for one of those heater fans, I'm talking small heaters, just to bring the temp to 65-75 degrees.

Thanks in advance

2. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Go buy a book please. Actually.. no, see hte little purple lettering on the side of the website page? says "Jorge's Marijuana Growing Site" go check that out... you may be suprised to know you've started something you obviously know nothing about.

3. moondance

moondance Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You can put them on the MH now. Make sure it's not too close though or you'll fry them. A rough rule of thumb is to put the back of your hand under the light at plant height and if it feels hot you're too close.

Don't worry too much about the red stems. They could be due to the particular variety you're growing or, as you say, cool temps. If it's the temps then when you start using the MH it'll warm up in there. Ideally you want the temperature around 75F.

4. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hey BB: I dunno what type hood you have for your MHs. Mine is called "Growers Pride" and allows the attachment of a small fan at the side and for a piece of glass to go below the bulb. That isolates the heat and extracts it from the bulb/hood and the plants can get to within 4/5 inches of the hood.
    Monitor the height of the plant, if getting too tall your 4" pot will soon be too small and you'll hinder progress by the plant becoming rootbound. I plant my germinated seed directly into the 4G pot in which they'll spend their life. b1

[Everyone interested in knowing how cannabis use affects the brain should read the article in the Dec. 2004 edition of the Scientific American: The drugs inside EVERYONE'S brain]

5. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Good advice Moondance....

6. moondance

moondance Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Cheers G,

Foppful - forgot to mention that flat white paint is a much better reflector of light than aluminium foil.

7. Foppful

Foppful Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually deciding to put them in the tub in the attic bathroom. The walls are already white, and there's a heater in there so I won't have to worry about the cold. I already transplanted them and put a 150 watt flourecent over them (can't get my hands on a MH yet).

Thanks again.