HELP - Itchy Red Bumps on My Toes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 30, 2010.

1. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

HELP, I developed these red itchy large bumps on three of my toes. It started out with one (which has been there for over a week now) and last night I got two more. They are large swollen areas in the center of my toes which itch like crazy. Does anyone know what this is? Could spiders be biting me at night? I do sleep on the couch and my toes probably go in between the couch cushions when I sleep. I just want to make sure it's nothing else to worry about. Why do they itch and why are they taking so long to go away :confused:

[​IMG]

This is the best I can do for a close-up photo. It may be hard to see them but they are on the tops of my last 3 toes.

2. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

The bumps may be a reaction to ice melting chemicals or could be swelling from the bitter cold. Don't think spider bites would limit themself to the tops of your toe knuckles. After a long period of snow footing I'll get an itching feel that lasts for a while but it's the circulation re-warming the skin. Is the itch like that or different? May want to clean the couch just to be sure.

3. white dove

white dove Member

infection maby viral or fungal. haha who knows i get itch feet some times when there sweaty i cure it by walking down a soft old dusty track. and watch as i leve my foot prints

4. kernow10

kernow10 Member

Could be an alergy or many things; but it does sound like early signs of Gout a build up of Uric Acid. If it doesnt go away go and see a Doctor last thing you want is a persistant condition that would keep you off your feet.

5. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

no, i don't think it's gout. It's true that Gout brings swelling but also intense pain to the joints of toes, big one _first_. definitely not itching. if pain is present still this does not necessarily mean it's gout. maybe it's mild chilblain.

try soaking your feet in lukewarm water previously boiled with two or three handfuls of sage leaves. can't do harm. if you're a coldfooter avoid sudden passage from cold to heat, for example don't warm your feet at the fire immediately after walking in snow or on ice because that's precisely the correct way to get chillblain which is also favored by poor circulation and weak blood vessels. eat fresh chili peppers.

6. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Well, it seems to come about at night. The bumps on my last two toes happened overnight. I sleep on the couch so when I am turned with my back toward the couch, it is not uncommon for that foot to become buried in between the couch cushion and the back of the couch. I am going to rip the couch apart and wash and vacuum it out today.

If it was road salt or the cold, why wouldn't it have affected both my feet? This is my second winter without shoes, I didn't have any probs last year. They kind of itch the way a mosquito bite would. Are there other bugs that would do this? It's too cold outside for mosquitos or flying insects.

You are forgetting I live in the USA and I am not one of the lucky ones who has health insurance. Doctor's around here charge $100 just for you to walk in the door. That is why I wanted to get some advice from someone who may have experienced this before.

7. jagerhans

sorry for the OT but each time I hear things like that I can't refrain from thinking that everyone bashing public health care programs under the claim of communism and stuff must be either some seriously rich cat or just plain a shithead fucktard.

8. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Getting back on topic, has anyone out there experienced this before?

9. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

I can suggest one test, but I doubt you'll like it. That would be to try sleeping while wearing socks. That would protect your feet from spiders and/or irritation from the cushions. If the irritation goes away, you know some type of external irritation was at work. If the red bumps remain, then it might be viral, etc. My suspicion is that you're irritating your toes between the cushions while you sleep, but that's just my best educated hunch.

10. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Well, I didn't have time to take the couch apart yesterday so I made sure to wrap the comforter around my feet, meaning the comforter was also under my feet so they did not touch the couch. The bumps are still there but at least I did not get any new ones. Today I washed all of the blankets and pillow cases on the couch and ran a vauum under the cushions. I guess I will have to see what happens.

11. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

Another thought if you have a complete aversion to socks would be to put bandaids over the affected toes. This would minimize contact and could confirm/eliminate irration as the cause.

12. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I can rule out irritation because I got it on my third toe in first (about 2 weeks ago). Then I got it on 2 other toes the night before my posting. If it was irritation it would have happened to all of them at the same time.

13. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

I guess if all else fails, see a doc.

14. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Ugggg, see my reply about 2 quotes ago about doctors.

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

To Me Jaime, The Answer Is Crystal Clear...

(1)...The Sofa Has "Bedbugs", Just Like An Ordinary Bed Can...:eek:.

(2)...The Sofa Has Fleas, From Pets Laying On It...:eek:.

Either, Or Both, Of These Could Cause Your Itchy Red Lumps...[​IMG]

Glad To Be Of Assistance, My Bill Is In The Mail...:D.

Cheers Glen.

16. jagerhans

so fleas, lice and other bugs are so selective to exclusively target toes ? it is highly unlikely. if you have bugs in your bed they will plague you all over unless they've got a major foot fetish. favorite targets of bed bugs are ankles and crouch. I insist,, that must be a mild chilblain.

17. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just a suggestion :

To stimulate self healing, try and put honey on it

As alternative, try vinegar (as natural as you can get, i.e. of apples)

edit: forgot to mention Silicea - universal means

... may toes get better soon !

18. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

(1) Bedbugs would bite me all over.
    (2) I don't have pets so fleas are out of the questions. I don't even eat on the couch, so it's not like its all dirty and nasty or has food in it.

19. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

You have done some recent coldfooting, haven't you? I think it may be a freeze/slush/salt burn; especially the irritation from salted roads may not show up on all places of your feet. See also the posts from me and MrEd about a particularly nasty kind of salt we encountered; perhaps you got splashed with some nasty slush only there while walking on the side of a slushy road? Or walked through some salted slush and then through some fresher snow that washed it off most places but just didn't rinse as well on the top of those toes?
    See this thread http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=388801 and this post http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showpost.php?p=6123356&postcount=9

20. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

maybe just frostbites? As you go barefoot now in winter too, in the snow ...