Help! French and cooking?

Discussion in 'French' started by ALL22590, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ALL22590

ALL22590 Member

My crazy french teacher is making me cook!
    Ah!
    This could definitely be disasterous, but to add a little bit more drama, she gives me a recipe in french. I got most of it, but there is something about flan I just can not get my head around.

"poudre à flan patissier à la vanille (achetée en supermarché)"
    Powdered vanilla flan? (purchase in supermarket)

and

"Ajouter la préparation à flan pâtissier (soit la valeur d'1/2 litre de préparation terminée)."
    Add the prepared flan (something something 1/2 liter of preparation something....)
    It's one thing to test my french skills, but to combine them with my baking skills is just cruel.

Can anyone tell me if I am understanding this right, and if I am could you tell me if it means like... add a liter of flan mix? I'm so lost... ):

2. ShortyAH

ShortyAH Member

I don't realy understand the recipe but yes it's sound like this translated in english
    you probably have to take the preparation and put the powered vanilla flan in it but I don't know what is a flan it's an european recipe and i'm from quebec but it is probably like a cake

3. Hred

Hred Member

Poudre a Flan is a powder you use to make your creams thicker, probably has another name in english, u can use corn starch and add some vanilla extract to your cream. You will probably have the same result.
    Try it.

4. coraliecastillo

coraliecastillo Member

Poudre à flan is not some "sucre vanillé" ? (vanilling sugar)
    French always use sucre vanillé in cook !