Hello world

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by poor_old_dad, May 21, 2004.

1. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

I've been out of touch for a while, single parenting/stuck in Alabama etc. Now all the kids are out of school, "on their own", etc. I started in the Make love not war/ Organic farming / promote racial peace / etc in the early 60's, and I'm just wondering is any thing still going on?

2. ocean rainbow

ocean rainbow Member

everything is always going on! welcome to the forums! check out the rainbow family.

ps- if you think alabama's bad, you should try new jersey.
    love and hugs.

3. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

hiya "dad"

welcome to the group. as for things still going on, apparently so, although my problem has always been trying to find a local scene where i live.

depending on where you live, someone might be able to plug you in to some cool things and people.

4. poor_old_dad

New Jersey bad, Alabama bad, a debate or listing of the bad places and which are the worst might be interesting (and might help others from making mistakes). But what I wonder is; where are the good places? I'd guess that a good place would be a place you can (as nightmarehippygirl says) "find a local scene where i live." But depending on where you live, there might not be some cool things and people to plug you in to.
    I've been thinking of re-locating. I remember a line from a song that goes something like: "goin' where the weather suits my cloths". I've been wanting to go where the politics fits my views. Finding it - that's the problem.
    I'm already glad I am doing this, it feels good.

5. nightmarehippygirl

if i knew of any cool places, i'd let you in on it. being, as i am, sort of antisocial in real life, i am not plugged in to any scene, cool, or otherwise.

i find it very hard to find people who share my points of view about life in general, but i have discovered that sometimes you can find people who share specific ideas with you. for example, i have started volunteering at the spca, and have actually found some cool people there who at least share a love of animals, even if that's all they share with me. it's a start.

what kind of things are you interested in, specifically? political activism? vegetarianism? animal rights? recycling? some sort of craft? drugs? music?

6. poor_old_dad

Yea, cool places and finding them - that's a hard one. Of course, it's also highly personal. One person's cool is another's dull etc. Many years ago I spent some time in Austin. Then (early 70's) it was VERY cool. Between the music scene and the University it was easy to find a place to be and people to be with. The music and University are still there, but I haven't been, so I can't say about now.
    It's long been my belief that that if there was a really good place, everybody would move there and ruin it.
    My interests, political activism - not as much as I'd like. I'm mostly very liberal in a very conservitive area, but I do get into lots of political arguments. vegetarianism? animal rights? recycling? = no, yes, a lot. The closest I come to a craft is in my darkroom. Drugs - I've lost all my contacts (years ago), otherwise yes (just pot). Music - not country or opera, but all else. Mostly old rock & roll and jazz.
    I'm an organic farmer, mostly growing cooking herbs, tomatoes, peppers, and shiitake mushrooms.

7. nightmarehippygirl

that's definately true enough. i live in texas, but have never been to austin. we never manage to go on vacation, hubby works a lot. i hear it still quite the party town.

you have a darkroom? that's cool. my hubby wants one, one of these days. what kinda stuff do you like to take pictures of?

if you're a toker, you'll find plenty of good company around here (myself excluded), lol.

i know that yahoo groups has quite a lot of groups devoted to organic gardening and homesteading. you might find some people close to where you live to relate to. i'm horrible with plants. i own one right now, and it's looking pretty sad. my mom used to garden, before she got sick (multiple sclerosis). i always thought it was neat.

8. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

Hey poor ole dad,welcome to the forums.If you have been out of the scene for a while,which is want it sounds like.You have found the right place to get hooked back up with everything that you have interests in.There are all kinds of people around here that can steer you in the right direction,for what ever you are looking for.
    So just kick back and enjoy,you will find friendly folk around these parts.

9. poor_old_dad

My darkroom is very simple. I only do black and white, which is MUCH easier (& cheaper) than color. You can probably get set up for less than $200.00, in an area about as big as a bathtub. Some people build a table to set in or on a bathtub. In a bathroom there are usually few windows, there's running water and a drain, and often a vent fan. Works great!
    What kinda stuff do I like to take pictures of? HMmmm ... Sometimes a question can make you stop and think. I guess I could say, "Anything that catchs my eye." Of course, some people specialize in flowers, or kids, or kittens, or ... etc
    Looking back at what I've done, looks like I mostly like landscapes of rural sceens. Never really thought about it until you asked.

10. poor_old_dad

To "fylthevoyd": Yea, I'm real glad I came across this place. It's taking a while to look into all the forums, I really like the "Gardening" area. One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of young (under 30) people joining in. Gives hope for the future.

11. mimosa

mimosa Banned

Welcome, "dad" (or brother to some of us) :)

there's plenty of hope for the future here. Glad to see you and hope you visit often.

12. user__friendly

user__friendly Member

Ah yes, and the future is happy to be joined by someone who has experienced the past :)

Hello poor_old_dad, I'm sure you're going to love it here. Everyone will help you find whatever it is you're looking for.