Heels....

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by sophieclair, Jan 12, 2009.

1. sophieclair

sophieclair Senior Member

Whats the big deal with heels? Why are they so desired? How do you walk in them and learn to walk in them? Where did the fad come about that it was "sexy" for women to wear heels? Also I don't see how women can wear 10" high heels, how much practice does it take to actually be able to walk in them?:confused:

I mean I think the most I ever wore a part was 4 hours.

I don't know how to walk in them and I'd love to learn without a trip to the emergency room. Sorry for that horrible pun.

2. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

I don't like them for everyday and they give me blisters. But if the heels aren't too high, I don't mind putting them on every once in awhile for a special occasion. I have never learned to walk properly in them.

3. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

i like them. I wear them for the majority of the day most saturdays and friday nights.

heels are sexy, flats, tennis shoes, slippers, and whatever else, don't have the same effect.

4. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

the popularity of heels was instigated by the realization (by men) that they like to see feminine butts jutted out. they are horrible for your feet, legs, knees, hips and back. we weren't designed that way. but gee, even though she has to use a cane now, she sure looked hot in heels.

"High heels tend to give the aesthetic illusion of longer, slender and more toned legs."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-heeled_footwear
    the wiki article is fairly decent.

to learn to walk in them you have to practice. walk back and forth across the living room, with the coffee table out of the way of course. i used to have high heeled races with my brothers. acknowledge that you have to walk differently. its not the same stride or muscle group as sneakers.
    start with a wider heel, then you can work your way to a stiletto, if you are so inclined. start lower, and work higher. i don't wear anything higher than an inch, and even then they are usually closer to a wedge than a defined heel. i much prefer flats or barefooted-ness. but remember:the higher you go, the further from natural your body position is, and that adds to the physical strain.

my mom has a pair of high heeled 'hooker' boots, they're about an 8 inch heel, but they lace up to the upper thigh, so theres more support for the ankle. if you want to wear insane heels you have to shop for them like ice skates, they HAVE to have ankle support or you'll twirl, twist, and snap something.

{edit} oops, forgot to mention. the "walk" is more hip and knee than a regular walk. watch the way a supermodel walks, they almost step around their front leg to move forward. try to feel the different muscle groups individually as you walk, they notice the differences between high heels, flats and barefoot.

5. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

Man I can rock out 7 inch heels without thinking about it, it just takes practice.

1 person likes this.
  6. jia

jia Member

It's cyclical. Until recently only men wore high heels. For example in the 1690s most fashionable men wore heels that were at least 4 inches. Being able to spend money on unpractical footwear made you something of an aristo, which is the source of the phrase "well-heeled" (rich). After the French revolution people really didn't want that association anymore so the fashion died until the mid-1800s when it was an exclusively female fashion and it has continued in that vein to this day.

Still, it is only a matter of time before men start wearing heels again (in public that is.)

1 person likes this.
  7. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I love wearing heels. Nearly all of my shoes have 3-4 inch heels, except for my running shoes! Not super skinny heels, geez, I'd break my neck wearing those, but a bit of a thicker heel.

I don't know, it was kind of difficult walking in them at first, but after a while, I got used to them. I can move pretty quick in those suckers now, too. ;)

I think the reason I like heels so much is, although I really do like being short, it's fun to see the world from a different height, so-to-speak. And, I like to showcase my legs, since I do workout a lot! I think they make them look longer, sexy.

But it's just a matter of what you like and don't like, what makes you comfortable and what doesn't. A woman can and should feel just as sexy in anything she puts, or doesn't put for that matter, on her feet. :)

8. torz

torz Member

i like heals. i only tend to wear them when i'm dressing up nice or in summer. during the winter i perfer to wear flat shoes or trainers. in summer for work (& when i have to) i wear strappy wedges, i have a couple pair of wooden ones which are soo comphy, alot of the time tho i go barefoot.

i couldnt go out dressed up nice in a pair of flats. putting on a pair of heals makes me feel really sexy. not only do they make me look taller but they make my legs look longer & thiner.

i couldnt live in heals tho like what my sister does. she has 4inch plus heals on all the time. she has wore them that much that her feet have actually become deformed & her achilles tendon has shrunk so it hurts her to wear flat shoes. i could never do that to my feet!

its easy to learn how to walk in heals. i find wedges are much easier to walk in & much comphyer as the surface area that comes in contact with the ground is larger so the weight is spread much more evenly. start off in smaller (as in lower) heals & work your way up. make sure you dont slouch forwards, walk tall with your back up straight & your head high.

its also a good idea to invest in some party feet, those gell cushions to put in your shoes to stop the balls of your feet hurting.

9. linda617

linda617 Member

i just like showing my sexy toes. the men like looking.

10. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

high heels make you legs look longer, slimmer they make your muscles tighten up and show your leg structure. it changes the whole appearance of your body actually.

11. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

High heels are super aesthetically pleasing, elongate your legs, make your butt look awesome. I personally, am a huge fan.

12. TallGirl

TallGirl Member

Hate them! Stick a 6' girl in 4" heels and what do you get...a whole lot of stares. That's what. I'd have to date Shaq to look natural beside a man if I wore heels.

13. ruby-tuesday

ruby-tuesday Member

i only like heels for certain events, but even then i can't wear stilettos.

14. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

I used to be able to run in high heels.. like 4-5 inch heels.

But I wore them too young, while my feet were still developing. Gave me bunions. Now I can't wear them at all because it hurts too much. I tend to hang out with guys more than girls though, and it comes in handy to be wearing flats in that case (if we change plans and go hiking, run around, etc).

15. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I love them:) Not too high, and not those ridiculous ones with the stick thin heel. I also prefer a strap of some sort on the shoe, either front or back, because no matter what size slip on heels end to just fall off me as I walk. I dont know how ladies pull them off

But being only 5ft tall it can be a welcome break to be a similar height to most other people for a short while, it makes my legs look less stumpy, and I tend to feel a bit more confident in them

I dont own many pairs though as mostly Im a bit of a tomboy, running around in mud and things:eek: Infact I have the same amount of wellies as heels

16. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

I like them as a rule.

17. Ladybird321

Ladybird321 Members

I feel more confident wearing heels. I know that I'm higher which makes me look thinner and also heels make me keep my back straight.

18. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

I'n nearly 6' tall so don't need them to look taller, but even if I did, I wouldn't. I really hate them. Walking like I have a broom stuck in my backside sweeping the floor as I go is NOT how I want to look. That mincing look just isn't good. It's all a bit too Olivia Pope for me personally.

I currently have these on my feet. http://www.hoboshoes.com/2-zippsepp-hg.html

19. luv88

luv88 Members

I think women wearing heels look great, but still I don't do it. The thing is I like to walk a lot and heels aren't the best choice for that.

20. audrey_the_endotherm

audrey_the_endotherm Members

High heels are far from a fad, women have been wearing them for 100's of years, I believe their is even evidence of high heels as far back as 1000's of years ago. The simple answer for why we wear them is it enhances our attractiveness and makes us look taller. It also heightens our confidence (for me anyways), imagine walking around just a few inches taller, the world looks just a little smaller. I personally don't wear them of often and when I do I always carry some flats with me for when the pain becomes too much lol