Health issues veggies eating meat

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by mrtickle007, Apr 3, 2007.

1. mrtickle007

mrtickle007 Member

Hi all

Before I get a heard of abuse I have given this a lot of thought and 15 years ago I turned veggie. This was for moral reasons and now a day I thing that as long as I know where my meat has come from and that it has been treated fairly (ie my local free range organic farmer) why am I not eating the occational bit of meat as I enjoy food and cooking. (ie one of these flexitarian things

What I am worried about is the fact that I havent eaten meat for 15 years, will I become ill for doing so. (and not ill from the thought of it).

I know this may upset some of you and I understand why, But please is any one able to assist.

2. littlelily

littlelily Member

You decision doesn't upset me! My sister is a flexitarian. I think people should eat what they want. I have heard that after years of no meat people will have very negative reactions from eating it. I'd also like to recommend the veggie meats. I don't eat the beef like veggie meats, but the chicken like meats are really good. Quorn is the best!

3. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

you won't get ill as in the flu or something but you might find you get a bit of diahhrea and stuff from it.
    doesn't happen to everyone but if you are going to go back take it easy and don't go full on.

and from someone who's a vego and aint going back, just cause it's organic doesn't mean that it doesn't have environmental or philosophical consequences so maybe explore some ofthe issues a bit more before you take the step.
    :)

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

5. TheRealPamela

TheRealPamela Member

I hate the term "flexitarian". You are eitehr vegetarian or you are not. Do you know the basic nutritional needs of a veggie? If you've been veg 15 years you should be educated on the topic?
    Organic doesn't equal being treated "fairly" either. That is just a label to make people not have to feel bad about eating animals. I am not saying they are treated AS bad, but it's terms of "less horrible" instead of "better".

I am not trying to be mean or rude, just seeing someone who says they've been veggie so long start a post like that is sort of a slap in the face of other veggies.

6. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

ive been veg 20+ yeasrs trust me....1 bite...youll regret horrible..5-6 yolll wanna do nuthing but detox a week
    its ghorrible
    i felt high fever shakes seatting worse headache ever..like there wasa ..nastiest thing u can imagine covered in maggots festerig in my intestines/..
    its horrible..
    u could get throuhgh it in ..hmm weeks..maybe..if u prepare yourself for the shock of having to digest something thats not naturaly digestable

afew bites really is enough to make u feel very sick..horribly..
    if u feel u must..
    umm
    perhaps a ton of yughurt or somethijng might help get something growing in there that might help bresak up all the stuff that would just sit there & rot..
    i dunno..ive only donre it accidently & couldnt ever imagine intentionaly ..yuck...
    but even if i could stomach the thought...
    the sickness is horrible

7. drumminmama

in fact, organic refers only to feed eaten. You can have organic "free range" birds who get some limited access to outdoors, but for laying hens there IS NO RULE it's all advertising words. Neither is there a definition for free-range beef (since the great majority of beef is raised as cow-calf in pasture and finished in feed lots) or any other mammal.
    I also dislike the term flextarian: it reminds me of a quote from a rabbi: "do not let your mind be so open your brains fall out."
    When one embraces vegetarianism (that's ovo-lacto to vegan on the spectrum) one foregoes animals as food. Period, no wiggle room, no creating crappy PR terms to pretty up "omnivore."

pescatarian/ flextarian are as idotic as "bio solids":
    call 'em what they are: flesh eaters and sewage sludge.

8. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

thats alittle extreme. it's like taking a real word out of the dictionary and saying I don't like it, so I'm not adhering to it, here's my definition and if you don't like it your probably just one of those sewage sludges or flesh eaters. Thats insulting to alot of people and as a moderator I think you should know better. I have been very patient with alot of the attitudes on here but thats the last straw. That was wrong of you.

Yes, this is a VEGETARIAN forum and I am a pescaterian so maybe you think I don't belong here (and if thats the case thats so freakin nazi of you I wouldn't want to come near such a close minded place). I, unlike your slude eaters, have a BELEIF pattern around my dietary choices, it's not just for fun or pretty words or trying to be a vegetarian thats not willing to give up fish, it's for spiritual reasons that are still evolving for me. You know what, Fuck the term Vegetarian. It's become so sick of a term to me because of the people who are so stuck up on it they can't even try to see things from a different perspective. I hate when people think they're sooo right when in face of the world and the grand majesticy out there they know soooo little.

You know it's not just ethnical or not ethnical, vegetarian or sludge eater.
    There's a wide range of people out there you are showing no respect for.

I'm disgusted right now. I don't even care if I get banned. There is bad energy here. But not from all of you (sorry I'm only bitching about a few!!!)

9. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i could say the same for vegetarians who are in it for animal rights/ anti-animal cruelty reasons.

vegetarians support animal cruelty(dairy, eggs). as do pescs(fish), and "flex"s(meat).
    bio solids indeed.

10. Crystalsatreehugger

right now willy wonka.

11. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

i was a vegetarian for 11 years and then ate meat and i was fine nothing happen but some people do get an upset stomache

12. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

what i hate about vegetarians is how they condem people that eat meat. if you want people to join you than you shouldn't be calling them things like sewage sludge it makes people think you are high and mighty and aren't open

13. Crystalsatreehugger

thank you. I was highly offended by the above and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I'm just so happy I know soo many people in the vegetarian community who DO NOT put down my beliefs and label me as THEY see fit. It's like an all or none rule, the "jesus mentality" as I call it, being perfect or feeling so in tune with things you can tell other people they are not. I think it's the cause of most of the worlds great struggles (the attitude of believing your absolutely right, or better than whomever). In the scheme of the universe we humans only know so much, and should not assume we have all of, or any of the answers to lifes great mysteries.

14. plastic bagism

plastic bagism Member

I'm a veggie of 6 years. A few Thanksgiving's ago my grandma forgot to tell me that her stuffing wasn't veggie, and I was violently ill for a day, and then only a little for a few days after. And that was only about a mouthful. Everyone will have different reactions, though. Just be careful.

Maybe try some fake meat first and see how you like it.

15. mrtickle007

mrtickle007 Member

Cheers for those of you that answered me..

As for the rest I did ask that I did not get a barrel full of abuse. I am a free minded intelligent fellow able to think for my self. Yes I am aware of the advertising slogans that companies can use. Thats why I would only go to local farmers that I had already seen. In fact this has all come about after visiting a friends farm.

I also can not believe that some one who has been a vegi for that long has such a closed one track mind. Christ you must respect others views and for gods sake I would have thought you guys would understand that more than most. GET OFF YOUR SELF RICHEOUS PEDDLE STOOL

At the end of the day we are supposed to eat meat, thats what we have evolved to do, and I think I speak for the vast number of vegies, we would eat it if it wasn't treated so badly in life. But on the other hand we have evolved to be free thinking and can consciously make decisions for our selves.

Sorry I think I have lost the point of what I was saying. Basically every one is entitled to their own opinion, I am an intelligent guy I made mine and was just asking for advice. CHILL OUT GOD DAMB IT.

Any way as it happens I went to the farm the other day, he gave me a fresh steak that I saw him prepare. That stake is now with my good old Gran who will cook it for my pop's I made my self very ill just thinking about eating the stuff.

Phil

16. drumminmama

for those who were "offended" by the sewage sludge comment, some background:
    A public relations firm coined the term for waste water plants to use as they developed bagged fertilizer (which is usually labeled ORGANIC) from the sediments that settle out in the mid stage of treatment.
    Now, it has been tested and some local results show a lack of heavy metals of certain bacteria.
    The PR firm ran with those results but needed a name that would sort of hide the graphic nature of its origins.
    they were, to use a typo above, "peddling stool." (I have to remember that play on words)
    So bio solids was coined, and a lobbying effort got it in a couple of dictionaries.
    Want to piss off a PR hack from a waste water plant? say sewage sludge.
    I once got a FOUR PAGE letter decrying my use of the phrase. Afflict the comfortable.

So too is flextarian: coined by a PR flack, as was pescatarian.

Their relation is that they are terms meant to obscure.
    I called no one sewage sludge. I compared the use of the WORDS.

And i believe CTH is using this as a way to continue her crusade on here for fish eater acceptance.
    Sorry. Just as you have the right to think you "qualify" as a vegetarian (and use offensive christological references), I have the right to say that a fish is not a vegetable, and a fish eater is not a vegetarian.
    I offered you a way to have a pescatarian forum. I'm sure there are veg-populated forums that will accept killing of fish.
    History shows that this one isn't one of them.

To Mr. Tickle007,
    you will find plenty of debate on her as to the validity of "we are meant to eat meat."
    some will say yes, there was a time when meat filled a nutritional niche but we no longer rum it down so we need less calories and fat.
    Some will say it is unproven and avoiding it is a comfort zone.
    Some say we are true omnivores, but it can be a spiritual choice to refrain from flesh.
    Some simply dislike meat for whatever reason.

I'd bet that every veg on here has a slightly different perspective on meat eating.

17. stephaniesomewhere

maybe you could vent in pms and therefore those of us who the bitching is directed at and those of us who it's not will know.
    :)

18. stephaniesomewhere

thanks for lumping all vegetarians in the one basket which is exactly the problem which you are complaining about in reverse. Seriously don't care what you put into your body myself however I do have opinions about it and if we are in a vego forum then that is the place for me to voice my opinions. Definitely better in my case to do so than round the dinner table as you are just going to chow down. It is a vego forum so I think you should expect that people are going to feel that they can say what they feel in regards to eating meat. It doesn't necessarily translate that they are going to enforce their views onto you outside of here, maybe they will but maybe they won't. Each person takes their stance into the world on their own and operates in their own way with it.

19. drumminmama

she has, and appearantly was unhappy with the answers.

20. Crystalsatreehugger

I was happy with your response to my pm. I read the above a day or so after, and was offended then. does not correlate to our original discussion. This upset me on it's own.