HEAD - monkees movie on TCM 6-1

Discussion in 'TV' started by samson, Jun 1, 2007.

1. samson

samson Hepcat

A great psych film is gonna be on tonite, if you havent seen it, its a great piece of hippie work.

Not just a monkees flick, it is directed by Jack Nicholson, and there are cameos by Frank Zappa, Dennis Hopper, and others. It was filmed during the time that Easy Rider was shot, and Hopper is seen wearing his Billy the Kid outfit.

If you ONLY know the monkees from their TV show, be prepared to see a different style of monkee here. It was designed to break the teen idol stereotype, and it also features tunes the Monkees wrote and played themselves - however in the theme of the movie, they change roles - when a song is supposed to be sung by one of them, often it was another monkee who performs it in the movie.

The song As You Go Along features Ry Cooder and Neil Young, so its not like the usual monks music at all!

Just a heads up that it will be on TCM Underground this eve!

2. I've been wanting to see it for some time. Boxing heavyweight champion Sonny Liston was in it.

3. samson

samson Hepcat

Bob Rafelson directs, Jack is the writer for this one, sorry I got that crossed up - indeed it does have sonny liston!

4. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

Oh, I LOVE Head. It's a lot of fun. I got it on DVD for last year... It's great. I mean, yeah, it's not an amazing movie, but it's enjoyable and funny.

5. I'm a troll

I'm a troll Banned

well that sounds interesting, if only i'd read this post 32 days ago...

6. windsong

windsong Member

Yeah I saw that! It's really cool. Finally got in on DVD.

7. i had in on dvd, but it got stolen, i love that movie really a great concept it seems the more u watch it the more it makes sense