Hawaii Volcanos

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jul 9, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

How many homes has this hot lava engulfed now? Like 300 or so?

Fucking-A. That sucks.

The island is growing. Hot lava is not something you can fuck with. It's basically unstoppable as it slowly approaches your country home. Even if you were able to slow it down with thousands of gallons of water from your garden hose, the heat from all the surrounding hot rock is enough to catch your house on fire.

I've been close to hot lava, and got to poke at it with a stick when I was on the Big Island. The heat that radiates from the molten is often too hot to get too close to.

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Geologically speaking the Hawaiian islands are situated over what is called a hot spot and without the upwelling of molten magma the islands would have never been formed – for the home owners currently under the gun it’s a catch-22

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

worst island anyway. i don't know why anyone who decides to move to hawaii would decide to go live on an active volcano on the ugliest, most boring of the islands.

don't get me wrong, it really sucks and i feel for them. i just don't understand what their initial plans had been.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Isolation? Some people like boring. If I ever lived out there, I wouldn't want to be in a touristy area like Waikiki or the North Shore. I mean, to visit, yes, but I wouldn't want to live there

5. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I have to agree with you, it's ugly. What I really don't get though is why it hasn't become a massive geothermal power plant, like they have in New Zealand? I taught a water treatment class on New Caledonia and met some plant operators.

It's literally free energy.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

My son lives on the big island, has no interest in volcanoes. cant even see any of the activity in Hilo.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the peak of mount everest was once an ocean floor

and so it goes...

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well it's all pretty touristy. but outside of o'ahu, all the islands have isolated areas, and they're all prettier than what the big island has to offer.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I’ve been to the big island and Maui only. I liked the big island more.

What people don’t realize, is the name of the big island IS Hawaii. The natives didn’t have a name for the island chain. But the British sailors who found the island had a name for the group of islands though; they called them the Sandwich Islands.

I disagree with it being the ugliest of islands. If you go to the north shores up in the jungle, it’s amazing. It’s like going to the Amazon rainforest, without the botflies, bullet ants, 2ft long centipedes, and malaria spreading mosquitoes

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ i didn't go to the north shores of the big island, but the way you describe it sounds a lot like about half of maui anyway.

i don't know about most people, but i know that island is named hawaii; i just don't call it that because it would cause confusion. i wouldn't doubt that a lot of people do the same.