Have you ever questioned your own identity?

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by Hari, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Has your mind ever stopped, and for that moment the only thing that is in your mind (or no-mind's-land)is a burning question:"who am I"?

What do you call that, or where is that being discussed?

2. Blade025

Blade025 Member

ahhh yes that has happened to me a lot of times...it comes with this very weird feeling you experience right after that...kinda trippy but fun :D

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what identity? my only identity, my only truely intrinsic identity, is defined by my preferences. that is the only identity that travels well in the abscence of mind and memory, which, or so we are told, exist only as artifacts of mortal, thangable living.

=^^=
    .../\...

4. praying4peace

praying4peace Member

yes i think about that alot.
    like why me? why have i been put her and who am i exactly.
    i think the only way to truely se who u are is too see yourself through someone elses eyes.
    and we will never do that so most or all of us go through our lives questioning ourselves.
    but its normal because everone does it. its somthing we will never find the answer to.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

seeing oneself through someone else's eyes, if one were to litteraly do so, as opposed to merely immagining such at thing, might surely be of intrest to one's vanity, but what has this to do with identity?

is one not capable of defining oneself in one's own eyes?
    of course by defining oneself it is not sufficient to immagine oneself a particular way, but indeed of course, to make real and embody the self thus defined.

=^^=
    .../\...

6. alex714

alex714 To the Left

My immediate reaction is to say that there is nothing intristic or essential about identity, but that it is in fact ever changing, in a constant fluid state. Many of my experiences have led me to such a conclusion. It is deeply unsettling to realise that there is nothing absolute about your identity, that it is capable of great (and contrary) changes. If you place too much hold on your identity as something fixed, when it shifts, it can be as though your entire world shifts because of the footing you had in the identity you held as certain. The uncertainity of identity used to scare me but now I see that multiple "identites" are completely normal reactions to life experiences.

7. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

I question my identity sometimes. When I was smoking salvia, I definately felt that I had no identity, along with other things. All material objects around me lost their "identities". Even the word "tree" baffled my mind. Why T R E E, why the tree sound. This word drives me nuts. Who named it that? Crazy.

8. myself

myself just me

Yes, I ask myself that quite often. Because it is linked with the decisions I make about my future. About the career I want to choose, if I am going to be happy doing a certain thing or not. On this question depends what I want to do with my life, how I relate to other people, to the world... how I am to react in certain situations... if certain attitudes suit me or not...

9. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

why are you trying to mystify existentialism? its not a kind of zen or some kind of religion its a descriptive account of the french way of life (well sartre's version is) non sartrean existentialists would laugh at this attempt to spiritualise their work

10. Hope_B

Hope_B Member

i think my identity would b expressed by the style of my life the things that i usually do .. my personality ...and also how other ppl who i know see me ...our identities r created by ourselves we should believe in that ..and those other things ppl say i don't think that it's correct ..unless we don't have a life 2 b appreciated and 2 weigh ourselves by it

11. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

It's not about description. All I can say is that whoever has done it or felt it alone can relate.