have you donated plasma?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Aug 16, 2005.

1. trancetripnddhd

trancetripnddhd Member

PLEASE, give blood! I am on a waiting list to recieve blood, I have a Immune disorder and I need good antibodies!!! No really there are thousands out there that desperately need blood..So if ya got good blood share a little!

2. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

couldnt that theoretically be cured by gene therapy?

3. Creek

Creek Apple Pie

I Gave Plasma For Many Years After My Brother Suffered From A Certain Disease In Which Plasma Was Given To Him. First Off, I Believe The Needle Used Is A Sixteen Gauge (It Is BIG) But Interval, It Doesn't Hurt A Bit After It's Been Inserted...You Will Feel Pressure, Though, Throughout The Process, Which Takes Anywhere Between Twenty~Five And Forty~Five Minutes, In My Experience. The Amount Of Time It All Takes Can Be Cut Down Depending On A Few Things. Drink Plenty Of Water Before You Go In To Donate...And Eat A Decent Meal. No Alcohol, Either....Trust Me On This : ) To Break It All Down For You, Whole Blood Is Taken Out, Separated By A Machine, The Red Blood Cells Are Given Back To You Through A Tube, And The Plasma, Which Is The Liquid Part Of The Blood Is Kept. It's All Fairly Simple, And Such A Good Thing To Do : ) Really The Only Thing That Ever Bothered Me About It Was The Initial Exam...They Will Poke Your Finger With A Small Needle (I'm Not A Bleeder, Generally They Had To Poke And Poke Some More To Get Anything )To Collect Blood To Test For Protein, And Many Other Things To Make Sure You're Healthy Enough To Donate, And The Plasma Taken Is Safe For Others To Recieve. You'll Also Get A Physical, So Make Sure You Have A Few Free Hours To Spare...And Don't Worry, You're Doing A Great Thing : )

4. cousinit

cousinit Member

giving blood is not painfull, the needle feels about the same as an an intravenous line, exept youre pumping out instead of putting in.
    this only takes about half an hour, most poople wont even notice the one pint of blood loss.
    anyways durning bleeding out, the blood goes into a bag thats on a machine which sloshes it around, preventing it from clotting. From thier the bag is quickly put into a machine that seperates the blood components.

Ive given blood 23 times now and dont intend to stop unill Im told I'm no longer able too.

Im also on the bone marrow donor regeistry, this is somthing any blood clinic can do. the chances of ever being asked to danate is verry slim.

5. SeekUrBliss

SeekUrBliss Member

GIVE!

As a nurse, i see shortages all the time.

6. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I wanna find a vampire and sneak him into the blood bank