have you donated plasma?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Aug 16, 2005.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

im thinking of going to do that on thurs. or fri. and get dan to do it as well.

the first time you do it here they give you $75, so that would be $150 for spending at the beach next week...

but im wondering... people give BLOOD for FREE... so im thinking that giving plasma has to hurt a lot more?? bigger needle? in longer? more weak afterwards?

have you ever done it? what was it like?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I could be wrong, but I think that plasma is taken from the blood. I don't think there's any way to take just plasma from the body.

3. interval_illusion

well, yeah, they do take plasma from the blood. it seperates in two layers... one the blood and one the plasma.

but i mean... if it was as painless as like when red cross does a blood drive, then why would they pay people a decent amount to give plasma?

im thinking the needle stays in a lot longer or takes out a lot more or something but i dont really know and would really not like a surprize if i go this week. like to know what im getting myself into. :D

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

http://www.biolifeplasma.com/en/donating-plasma/donation-process.html

So, maybe you're a little nervous about coming in for your first plasma donation.

The best way to overcome your fear is to understand what happens during the donation process.

Plasma is collected through a process called "plasmapheresis." When you come in to donate, a needle is placed in your vein and your blood is pumped into a specialized spinning device that separates the plasma from the other whole blood components, such as red and white blood cells and platelets. While the plasma is collected, the other blood components are filtered into a reservoir. Once the reservoir is full, your red and white blood cells and platelets are returned to your body.

Throughout the process, the system automatically alternates between collection and replacement until the predetermined amount of plasma, based on your weight, is obtained.

The tubing and all other collection supplies that come in contact with your blood are discarded and replaced with new, sterile materials each time a donation procedure is performed.

5. happyhippyflower

happyhippyflower Sucker Punch

The reason you get more money is because you get sodomized before they actually stick the needle in you. With the growing number of homos in this nation, they figure it'll keep people coming back.

6. interval_illusion

that article is supposed to make a person over come their fear? lol

and that's funny mike.

well, im gonna do it no matter what..... i mean a 150 (from both of us) from something that cant take an hour... will really help at the shore... so fuck it. ive gotten piercings before, i can do this.

i still wanna hear from anyone that gave plasma before though. where the hell is thechaosfactor when you actually need him?

7. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I think it hurts a bit more, and takes much much longer, since that machine is really slow to seperate stuff (at least, the one in our blood clinic was when I asked why the guy was sitting in that chair for so long)

8. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

You give your blood, and they take stuff out of your blood (I'm not positive, but I think they take out the red blood cells) and that is plasma.

9. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Hmmmm... no one will take my blood because it's not good enough, but maybe my plasma is acceptable...

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

"Ewww... hippie blood! Get out of here you ball of dirt! I bet this blood is heroin infested!"

11. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Since I was born in Germany during the Mad Cow thing they say they can't accept my blood. I was pissed.

12. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

Did you know, scientists way back in the day 1700-1800's (forgot), but they got this crazy guy and gave him cow blood, because they thought the cow is calm and chill so that will make the guy not be crazy. Well the guy just got really sick and his piss turned black. (thats a true story too)

13. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

yea, I just looked it up. You donate blood, and they turn your blood into plasma which is the fluid that red blood cells use to get around your body in, It also contains proteins and minerals. With out plasma blood cells wouldn't have anyway to get around. So thats why they use it.

14. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

i dont think i could do it. ive never even given blood. having a blood test aint too bad though. Id much rather cut the shit out of myself on accident than go in there and have to KNOW that pain is gonna happen. It hurts less and is less psychologically damaging when you dont expect it.

especially since i heard that the shit they pump back into you is all cold and shit.

15. interval_illusion

the stuff they pump you with is cold? wtf

i researched it a lot last night and ihmurria is right..... it does take a half hour or more but im thinking you prolly dont feel the needle the whole time. and it is a long needle but im not really afraid of needles so i guess ill go do it once... if i cant stand it, i just wont do it again. :D haha

antithesis.... why wont they take your blood?

16. Colours

Colours Senior Member

thats like $75 given to you. then you get to rest afterwards and people have to be nice to you. id do that in a heartbeat. no pun intended =D

17. interval_illusion

and people have to be nice to me? woohooo.... yay! :D

18. Liver Steam

Liver Steam Member

Yep and you get really drunk of of like 4 beers.

19. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

christ, four beers would make me really drunk without even donating blood. But then, I'm a lightweight

20. interval_illusion

i dont know... it warns not to drink afterwards.. i wouldnt wanna die or anything. it said "a lot of people go out and drink afterwards and this is dangerous"....

hmm maybe that's why, they get drunk easily then.