Have you complimented someone today?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, Aug 11, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

You're missing THE point there and Bird's point there.

Happiness IS 100% perception. What you perceive...the way you view life and yourself and the things and people around you...
    how you FEEL about those things because of how you PERCEIVE those things.... IS how you are.

If you perceive that you are happy and content in your life, then you are.
    (and no, I don't mean artificial happiness...take a bunch of drugs/drink... shop a lot... have a lot of sex...WHATEVER makes people feel temporarily good... but true happiness).

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

happiness is a fleeting emotion just like any other emotion. There is no "true"happiness. No one is in a perpetually happy state. However, you can choose to find joy in the world. You can choose to see the beauty of life rather than the ugly. You can choose to feed your soul with things that are good and if you do this you'll start seeing the good things in life.

The things that make my life worth living don't make me feel "happy" 24 hours a day, but they do fill my life with meaning and a sense of peace.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

happiness is a byproduct of the process of being engaged in gratifyingly creative activity.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, that's what I was getting at with my other posts. I don't think he understands what being "happy" in ones life IS.

It's not all YAYYY sunshine and rainbows i'm soooo HAPPY.

It's more an inner peace and enjoyment and liking things in life more than you dislike them. It's NOT being miserable and bitter and a victim of life.

5. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

i can prove happiness is not real in one easy scenario.

Anyone who has ever worked retail would know.

You cannot go into work expressing your feelings. If you are feeling awful, what do you do? You hide it, you pretend you feeling good for the sake of others.

The problem is that it does not end there. One pretends to be happy for the sake of one's significant other, one's children, one's family, so they do not worry about you.

One is never truly happy because one is always pretending to be happy for the appeasement of others.

6. PinkEye

PinkEye Member Lifetime Supporter

What if you're happy and you don't have to fake it?

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

That is just so not true. For example- when my son is sleeping and my husband is either also sleeping or at work- and I am happy with my life then... who am I pretending for if there is no one there to pretend for?

And... what I'm about to say doesn't mean that when I am upset in some way about something that I don't try to put on a happy face for the sake of my child. That's what any good parent would do- is create a feeling of peace and safety for their kids, even if they are feeling in some sort of (neg) way...but other than that, typically, when I am upset about something... I freaking let it out. If I'm sad/upset, I will say to my husband- "I'm really freaking sad right now. I feel like crying. THIS SUCKS! I need you to hold me and help me to feel better...." (or it might be the opposite..."I need some space-I am really upset and just need left alone right now"... point being, I do not put on a happy face all the time for the sake of others. If it's someone that cares about me, I let that shit out...deal with it so I can move on.
    If you're always going around putting on a front- a happy face... yea, then you probably always will be unhappy, as that shit builds up.

I get the feeling that logical or anything that goes against how he "knows" people and the world are won't be considered at all in his perfect views of the world...

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you have only demonstrated that happiness does not exist for someone who works in retail, and then only when they are at work. this proves nothing either way about happiness itself.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Exactly.:2thumbsup:

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

No, I proved that it does not end in the workplace:

The problem is that it does not end there. One pretends to be happy for the sake of one's significant other, one's children, one's family, so they do not worry about you.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

How did you prove that? Like...how did you PROVE that everyone is always doing that?

12. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Sociology.