Has this story idea already been taken?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by TrumpCards, Apr 30, 2018.

1. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

I’m trying to plan out a novel, but I’m worried that this idea has been done before.

Basically, the main character gets a flier advertising a cult. At the cult, they worship a demon and feed it souls. The soulless body is then used as a blood orgy. The main character starts an affair with a woman in the cult, but when it’s discovered she’s pregnant, she is also executed. The main character escapes, but he abandons his family to protect them from the cult. However, many years down the line, he finds out his son has joined the cult, which forces the main character to rejoin the cult to save him.

I’m under the impression that this story idea has already been done to death. But still, in the age of remakes and sequels and spin-offs, I think this story is fine.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Plot isnt what makes a story unique and interesting to me. If you create interesting characters and give them difficult and intriguing moral choices to make then your story will be interesting even if it has been done to death

Pete's Draggin' and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i think i heard it before on that Remini show about l ron hubbard

4. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking planning this out. One major difference between SCIENTOLOGY and the cult in the story I’m planning is that there are indeed supernatural things going on.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, there's probably about a hundred unique plots out there, and a million books using different slight variations of those plots.

6. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

Here’s an update for those interested.

As I said, I’m trying to write my first novel. I’m at ~12600 words, and a novel is at least 50,000 words. My biggest problem is that my writing is too succinct. I know I should practice more “show” than “tell”, but I’m having a hard time seeing where it’s appropriate.

My strategy is to continue adding more and more side characters and side plots, but I’m worried I won’t be able to come even come close to 40,000 words, let alone 50,000.

Any help would be appreciated :)

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What you need, is a character name Jocelyn who's like this Nordic witch and she's awesome. And she plays devils advocate.

8. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

Good news :)

I’ve written everything to the end, but I’m only at 48700 words. I’m having trouble of thinking of ways to increase the word count to get it up to 50000 words. Honestly, it came out better than I thought it would.

After I get it up to 50000 words and fully edited, I plan to start sending it to agents to represent me. The thing is, though, that my story is as offensive as an episode of South Park. So I might have a lot of trouble getting it published.

One thing bothers me, though. JK Rowling is sort of a role model for me. She became a billionaire for writing a children’s book series. I highly doubt I can accomplish success anywhere close to hers writing my style of fiction.

eggsprog likes this.
  9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

read some dean koontz for inspiration. that guy will interrupt the climax of one of his stories to talk for 3 pages about what a flower smells like.

10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

One could always throw a few recurring theme piece within and amidst the the story that is relevant at the conclusion?

11. Fayeth

Fayeth Members

I feel the same way about one of my unfinished novels... I got a lot of inspiration from the classic film "King Solomon's Mines" starring Stuart Granger and Deborah kerr sometimes I worry that my plot is very similar to the film, even though the characters and backgrounds are different.. there's just something that is so hot to me about a male guide in the jungle and the proud damsel in distress..