Harvard University accused of racism against Asian applicants

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by hotwater, Aug 30, 2018.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Harvard University has been accused of racism against Asian students because of perceived negative personality traits, according to court documents filed on Friday.

The 388-year-old institution is being sued by Students for Fair Admissions, an action group, for discriminating against Asian applicants.

The group commissioned an analysis of more than 160,000 applicants who applied for admission from 2000 to 2015, which showed that Asians were given lower scores on “personality” traits - likability, courage, kindness and being “widely respected”.

I live 10 miles from Cambridge so I’m familiar with the Harvard Campus, and I while I have no personal knowledge or facts to back up their claim, I trust my eyes, and unlike other schools in the area like Brandeis, M.I.T., Boston College, and Boston University, which are top heavy with Asians, The Harvard University campus feels more diversified, and to be perfectly honest it feels more comfortable walking around the campus.

Harvard accused of racism against Asian applicants

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I believe those traits have little to no outcome on passing through university and getting employment or a future so I hope the Asians win this. :)

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Personally I like the demographic makeup of the Harvard campus as it stands today

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Diversity is good, I just think it's unfair for a school to rule out applicants based on anything really if they've had the scores/marks (whatever you need) to get into a school. I know they can't fit everyone in, but if a top student is going to be dismissed for being Asian based on a character flaw that means nothing to the degree or application, I think that's absurd in a way and personally, as I love Asians, I only see those character flaws coming from how shy they can be as they are quite aware of their identity and the implications that can have in life. It's sad.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Care factor:0

The make up of asian students at the uni is higher than the general population.

They cant just buy their way in like everywhere else, so they have a whine

GLENGLEN and hotwater like this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So you're suggesting there's more Asian folks at this one university than everybody in the whole state? Lol. You come up with some shit sometimes.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Percentage wise I should have said

But, you know, who cares