Harassing republicans in public is apparently the "good" kind of harassment.

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by GeorgeJetStoned, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

YEP!!!!

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Of course you can interpret her words to suit your agenda.

My interpretation is she's encouraging peaceful protest.
    You gather, Freedom of Assembly,
    And you push back (not physically but you may interpret it that way for some unknown reason).
    Here's a definition of push back, I italicized the relevant definition:

ZenKarma likes this.
  3. MeAgain

Well, I already addressed the Red Hen thing.
    The second one started as people engaging with an appointed official of the government. If she doesn't want to talk to the public, don't go out in public. The public has a constitutional right to petition the government, she's part of the government.
    If there was pushing any shoving, that's wrong. I'm not condoning violence.
    BTW, I don't know how Waters reacted to the Florida thing.

4. MeAgain

People, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who's attacking who and who's being attacked.
    Could we please refrain from attacking each other and instead concentrate on what we are saying, without getting too personal?

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yes. Which is part of why what she's saying is irresponsible. Let's hope no one with an agenda interprets her words as anything other than peaceful demonstration.

Let's hope everyone she's rallying interprets it the same way :)

Let's hope the ugly incidents with the FL attorney general and the press secretary were isolated incidents.

Let's hope our nation gets back to being peaceful, civil, and normal.

But is what Maxine is doing going to get us there?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Nothing requires a public or private citizen to talk to anyone in public. She didn't talk to any of them from what I saw. The only ones talking were the ummm "petitioners"

You don't "petiton the government" by harassing, name calling, spitting, calling their kids names.

Oh wait.....maybe the left thinks that is a valid definition of it. In reading this link https://www.learningtogive.org/resources/right-petition-government it states the following:

The Petition section of the first amendment, also commonly referred to as the Petition Clause, states that “People have the right to appeal to government in favor of or against policies that affect them or in which they feel strongly. This freedom includes the right to gather signatures in support of a cause and to lobby legislative bodies for or against legislation,” (Copley First Amendment Center) (2). A more simple definition of the right to petition, is “the right to present requests to the government without punishment or reprisal. This right is guaranteed in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution” (History Central, 1).

Looking at the specific definition of the word petition, as it relates to the freedom of petition and the First Amendment, the word can be used to describe “any nonviolent, legal means of encouraging or disapproving government action, whether directed to the judicial, executive or legislative branch. Lobbying, letter-writing, e-mail campaigns, testifying before tribunals, filing lawsuits, supporting referenda, collecting signatures for ballot initiatives, peaceful protests and picketing: all public articulation of issues, complaints and interests designed to spur government action qualifies under the petition clause…” (Copley First Amendment Center) (1).

resistance or opposition. Again a lot of room to say that anything you want to do can be considered resistance or opposition.

I suppose one could argue like they tend to on the 2nd Amendment that when those words were written all those years ago, they didn't mean what I want them to mean today. Ergo we make them mean what we need them to in order to justify civil disobedience in any capacity we can figure out how to.

It strikes me that in order for them to have known that the Fla Atty Gen was going to be there at the theater, so they could have a crowd presence that we now learned was organized by the chapter in Fla., would require that they stalk/follow/survail/track her. I guess that OK as well.

Good luck with this. Turn about will be fair play. No whining if it doesn't go well.

7. MeAgain

Absolutely. Waters is encouraging everyone to challenge their public officials.

8. MeAgain

I never said public officials have to respond, although they should address the concerns of the electorate.
    I never said anything about spitting, etc., and neither did Waters.

Thanks for your interpretation of the First. Anything in there about right to assemble, as in the Copey reference you cited?
    The people have the right to assemble before Sanders and voice their complaints. I realize this isn't a written petition.
    No one said you can do anything when confronting a government official.

Knowing a public official will be somewhere and then confronting him or her about political matters is not stalking.

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

NO, this is not like that. Public, and elected officials owe it to their constituents and the citizens to listen to their grievances, in public; especially if they choose to go out in public.

Point is, don't attack or belittle others on this site because of opinions. We are not public, nor elected officials.

10. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

I agree if it's the owners of the establishment that's doing the kicking out.

11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Post are disappearing. Go figure.

SpacemanSpiff likes this.
  12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm sorry. I don't want to get banned over this and I really appreciate Hip Forums as vibrant online community. I wasn't being rude or offensive to me again just highlighting what I saw as double standards. I have a highly attuned sense of injustice and don't think it is good to harass people in public, whoever they are. If course I'm not American so I really should stay out of this. 'Nuf said.

13. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Hah, very clever BFE reference!

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Bacterial Filtation Efficiency? Base Flood Elevation? Butt Fuck Egypt?

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You choose a side every time you defend Trump, which you do most of the time--probably more than anyone else in these Forums. If you don't want to be forced into a camp, don't live in one.

16. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

You're abrasive hatred defines you.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Abrasive, yes, but I don't hate you. I'm just trying to point out the errors in your thinking. Tough love. I don't even hate Trump and his minions. His sociopathy, narcissism, and megalomania are surely the result of unfortunate nurture and genetic endowments. He could change. I believe in miracles. Pœnitentiam agite.

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Rich from a person who talks so much about the second amendment. The bullets are filled with love right?

19. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I don't care nor imply that you hated me. Means nothing to me one way or the other. Your abrasive hatred for anyone or anything that can find good in something Trump is doing is what defines you.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Criticizing a political leader for his/her actions, thoughts, policies is not hatred, it is criticizing a political leader

Being critical of our dear leaders is one of the most patriotic things you can do

ZenKarma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.