Happiness

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Penny, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I want to discuss 2 things Happiness-related. The first one is: has anyone seen that Todd Solondz film and what did you think of it? Cause I think it's brilliant.

The second thing is: do you think people who are happy all the time are scary and real? Cause I think I do. Think they're scary. Not real though. And boring. I was having this convo with some friends at the cafeteria the other night. Fine Arts and Philosophy students.

2. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

i am happy all the time. like content. i get upset, angry, yeah. but i am generally extremely happy. i lead a good life and am true to my soul. it's not fake. it's amazing.

3. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

happiness is much more complex than a smile on your face all the time. people who are truly happy have a sense of peaceful bliss that accompanies even the worst times, the greatest sorrow. like a serenity and grace to get through the tough times.

but constantly having a smile on your face and being in a "good mood" all the time is NOT happiness, in my opinion.

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Well I suppose that's healthy - but I'm talking about people who are like: "everything in life is wonderful and I never feel kind of 'bad' emotion"

5. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I guess that's the kind of people I was reffering to. People who pretend that there's nothing ever wrong - or not necessarily wrong but just.. no deep thinking, no kind of emotion just like yay all the time. I'm not sure how to put what I mean into words.

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I think happiness is overated. Sorrow has benefits too. A balance between the two is best imo.

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It's a very good movie.

People who are happy all the time are either pretending to be happy because in reality they are miserable, insane, or plain ol' dumb.

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I know what you mean. People that act like they're happy, but deep down aren't. People with joy though are at peace no matter what happens.

9. zilla939

it's called zen. i am generally pretty zen. but i feel very deep emotions, especially when i see other living creatures suffering.

10. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Yeah, I guess zen is a better definition. When you're aware of your emotions instead of identifying with them.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Such people are a type of liar and chances are that they're lying to themselves. If a constant state of euphoria were somehow possible, it would probably eventually lead to an emotional crash or burn out I'd expect.

12. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Happiness is but a state of mind.

When you're feeling California and looking Minnesota.

13. zilla939

is a warm gun

bang bang shoot shoot

14. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

i know, that was my first thought too.

15. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

I've seen all the Solondz movies except Happiness, and I really really want to see it. it's cool that you liked it, considering you were so disgusted when we watched Palindromes in Brooklyn.

I think anyone capable of sustaining a perpetual upbeat attitude has got to be really shallow.

16. zilla939

i've gotta check out happiness, i have heard about it twice in a week now.

17. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Penny, I don't know about me and that beer. But I think if I drink enought I can hang.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've never found happiness to have anything to do with drama, in movies or otherwise.

but then my way of looking at things, is looking at THINGS. not about possessing them, but their geometry and texture.

creating and exploring though, that's where i've always found it. in doing so.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It all depends on the person of course, but in general I'm not as much annoyed by the hypocritical/naive happy people as those persons that wallow in their misery and negative feelings. What does freak me out horribly are those people that are just overly nice and smiling and are faking concern for others. Not that I encounter them a lot happily :)

Never heard of that director I'm afraid.

20. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

lol Palindromes.. yea I need to watch that not stoned again. I totally puked hahahaha THAT's the expected reaction though..