Hand Foot and Mouth???? Whaaa??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by HappyHaHaGirl, May 14, 2004.

1. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

My son has all these bumps! I thought it was just a diaper rash, but then I noticed it on his hands and feet. I kind of freaked. They looked like little ant bites. I called his doctor and she asked a bunch of questions and decided that it was Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease....and that it's not as bad as it sounds. I guess it's viral and there's no antibiotic. He won't eat because he has sores in his little mouth. I feel so awful for him, and there's not really much I can do. Poor kid.

I need a vacation.

2. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

aww sorry to hear that. poor little boy. I hope he gets well soon. :(

3. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

thats weird never heard of that?

4. HappyHaHaGirl

I haven't either...I thought it was a sheep disease.... :eek:

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i remember when my nephew got it. it really sucked for him.

can your little one eat smoothies still? something cold and liquidy might go down easier. maybe a straw would help, i dunno. hope he gets better soon.

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

HFM disease is nasty and very contagious. (Although not dangerous.) If you didn't get it as a kid, you will probably get it. There is some symptomatic treatment for the sores (they are known as "stomatitis.") It is a mixture of Benadryl, Xylocaine or an other numbing agent,and something else I can't think of. Your doctor should have suggested it as a mouth rinse (you don't swallow it.) Ask about tylenol or Motrin for the pain, so he doesn't get too hungry. Your doctor should be giving you some supportive treatments to help the child through this, not just send you home to suffer. Call and insist on something to get you through it.

Wait, I did a quick search and found the recipie.

I hope your child feels better.

Blesssings,

Maggie

7. HappyHaHaGirl

She didn't give us anything, she only said to use baby Motrin. We actually called in with our questions and she told us what he had...we never went to her office. I don't know how I'd get him to spit it back out again after he'd rinsed or whatever... :(

Thanks a lot. I'll call her and ask about it. :)

I'm not going to get it, am I???

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

If you didn't have it as a child, there is a good chance you will. Wash your hands a lot. I hope you don't get it.

If you give him just a little of the rinse, (like less than a dose of the Benadryl for a child his age) if he swallows a bit, it shouldn't hurt him.

9. HappyHaHaGirl

OKay....when will I know if I have it. Now that you said that, I itch all over... :) I get so freaked out by sickness....

Does it help for him to soak in the bath? I didn't know if it did, but we've been doing it a lot anyway...it can't spread over his body any more can it? Is it like chicken pox, where whatever you touch gets it?