Hairy mamas

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by tree, May 16, 2004.

1. tree

tree Member

Hey now folks!
    Are there any other hairy/non shaving mamas out there?
    i stopped shaving over 10 years ago, and have never been bothered by peoples stares or reactions.
    Today my 2 year old pointed to the hair on my armpits and started laughing hysterically!! Now, he doesn't watch tv and he isn't around alot of shaved women...so i'm not sure why he found this so funny.

It's actually made me a bit self conscious. lol. i thought it would be wonderful to raise my son seeing his mother 'natural' and not worried about beauty standards. Here, he thinks it's the funniest thing he ever saw. :( i was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Feeling a bit self conscious,
    ~tree :)

2. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

My son thinks its hilarious to tickle my underarm hair. I think he lives for it. I havent shaved his whole life, hmm well I think I did once and he commented on there was no kitty there. I thought it was funny, I have a kitty and a puppy under my arms at all times now!!

3. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

This reminds me of when i lived in Oregon on a farm for two years.Everyone was natural.I left and went to see my mom in Las Vegas and was in shock to see how there were the no natural people.I have never dated anyone that was not alittle hairy.Just worked out that way.For me it shows that a person who is hairy so to say is more earthy,down to earth and living more intune with the mother.Sorry if i buted in on this thread.But just had to say my views and thoughts.

4. sweetpeace

sweetpeace Member

i haven't shaved in who knows how long now, but i am not that hairy either.

my daughter doesn't make that big of a deal out of it, but it pisses me off sometimes because my mom shaves and does the whole deoderant thing, and my daughter looks up to her more than she does me. so i don't think that my not shaving is going to have any kind of an impact on her. plus i have my old man talking about "being stinky" and how he NEEDS to wear deoderant, etc. so i will probably just be the stinky hairy mom when she gets older.

so much for trying to raise an openminded kid in a closeminded world :(

5. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I hven't shaved in years. I developed an infection of the hair follicles that took months to get rid of. Shaving just made it worse. When the infection went away the shaving never started again. I do sometimes trim the hair on my legs with scissors. i think that's when I get bored though. I'm not a very hairy person normally anyway. Never was into a lot of girly things like shaving and makeup.

Kathi

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

your son was probably just shocked to see hair in such a strange place.

7. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I don't know if I'm prepared to give up shaving. I do it selfishly, because I like to rub my legs after I shave them and feel how soft they are. It feels so nice to crawl into bed and the sheets rub up against me... I don't get off on it or anything, but it's something I would really miss. Because I'm vain.

I'm sure you save yourselves a lot of time and maintenance, though. I applaud you for it. You're stronger than I....

8. firebird

firebird Member

I don't. I think it's been about two years now. Why should I shave? It's uncomfy, time consuming, conforming to "beauty" standards, and I don't see a purpose for it. My partner and I love me the way I am.

Tree, in the begining,I felt a bit like you may now. However, I got over it by reminding myself of the above reasons. Now I wear shorts, and tank tops and I am very hairy. :)

9. tree

tree Member

Hey folks!
    Thanks for the comments, thoughts and moral support.
    i was just really suprised that he reacted that way! He still won't leave my armpits alone, everytime he walks up to me he tries he wiggles his finger in the hair and then starts laughing.
    Pharoah, your story about the kitty and puppy cracked me up! :D

HappyHaHaGirl, for me it only felt like i was giving up a chore i hated anyway. :) i've always been an outdoorsy girl, with dirt under her toenails, cuts,scraps and bruises on my legs. Even if i did shave, i doubt i would ever have those nice smooth, sexy legs. i have too many scabs.

So to me, it wasn't about giving anything up...it was about being whom i am. Cuts, scraps and hair.:p Everyone is different.

i was just hoping my son would grow up a bit more accepting then society...i guess i still have time to work on that. He's only 2.

10. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Maybe he thinks it's interesting because he doesn't have underarm hair.

11. mamasoul

mamasoul Member

tree, i was thinking the same thing as sugrmag....that he thinks its funny because he doesn't have any, not that other women don't.
    my daughter isn't phased by my hair, so i can't relate on that level, but she pinches my belly and laughs.....i don't think it is because she thinks my tummy should be any flatter, i think its just an almost 2 year old exploring her world. if you think about it in comparison to some of the other things he laughs at or finds amazing, it probably won't hurt as much! :D

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I guess I've gone through longer as a fuzzy mama, except for Kathi, than most on here. My son is 12, and I quit shaving for good 10 years ago.

Now he is starting to get a slight thickening of pit hair!
    he is nonplussed about it. A couple of his friends have been open enough to ask why I am fuzzy. I tell them its a choice like ear piercing or wearing jeans.

13. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

Well I don't have any kids but I'm also fuzzy. Your son was probably just curious because he doesn't have any, as was previously stated.

My little cousins are always curious about my hair, because they live in a very "proper" home and they don't ever see any natural women... my aunt does the whole "beauty salon every week" thing.

Ya just gotta go with the flow, yo...

peace and light

14. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I have two teenage dds who shave, and my younger kids think it is really funny. Sage (4) wants to know when she will get hair legs and "A hairy yoni." She finds these tiny hairs on her legs and makes a big deal over them. It is really funny. My ds (12) wanted to know why men don't shave their bodies, and some womyn do.

A funny story. When Sage was about a year old, we we watching Martha Stewart. She had Cookie Monster on. Now Sage has never watched Sesame Street and Cookie Monster got crazy over cookies Martha was baking and started trashing the kitchen and yelling and Sage got very scared. A few days later she was in the bathroom with me and saw my bush and started screaming "Cookie momster Cookie momster!!!!" Fear of pubic hair, brought on by Sesame Street.

15. tree

tree Member

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!:D

Thanks Maggie sugar! i laughed so hard i almost peed myself!

16. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

omg, that's a riot. kids are so funny.you should write in to pbs and tell them about it.

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

maybe the child will be afraid of Martha Stewart types later in life!

18. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

based on what you wrote, i doubt it is you as a hairy mamma.

guess you could tell by the reaction he has to mens hairy pits...if he does not find them funny, then maybe society has crept in behind your back...but like i said i doubt it.

as someone said, it does seem like a funny place for hair and he doesn't have any there.

19. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

For what it's worth I think that there is something so organically beautiful + sensual about a woman who doesn't shave/depilate. Whether it's a fine fair down or dark furry pits + shaggy legs it just seems so obviously natural + rightly in place; it looks sexy + in intimate relationship feels wonderful. Despite over 99% women removing their hair these days, I still find bald legs/armpits un-natural + not very sexy!

20. tom

tom Member

My son (he's amost two) just discovered my pit hair this weekend, and tried turning it into dreads. Let them check it out. Just one more thing to get the kids mind rolling.