Hair question

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Stillravenmad, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

I'm really sorry if this has been covered in the past; I looked quickly, but didn't find anything. Anyway, I've been told that washing your hair with olive oil makes it grow thicker and faster, as well making it healthier in general. I'm not losing my hair or anything, but my hair has always been really fine and breaks really easily, and nothing seems to work. I want to grow it, but I'm pretty much stuck keeping it fairly short.

I just wanted to check to make sure it's works and how I'm supposed to do it if it does.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

it would not be "washing" so much as an intensive conditioning.
    Use a nickel-sized dollop to start, work it along the ends of your hair first, then the length and into the scalp (unless it is already oily, then stop an inch or so shy of it...but many times the skin/scalp at the back of your neck can take this even when your part is oily)
    wrap in a shower cap (some use plastic bags) and then a towel for 45 min to an hour or two, to overnight.
    when you wash, put the liquid shampoo on BEFORE you dampen your hair.

leaving a few drops on your ends consistently can help them be more pliable and less likely to break or split.

I recently found avocado oil on sale, and wow: it sinks right in as a leave on in a way jojoba and olive don't.

3. marysoul

marysoul Member

i love the mermaid picture!!!!!

4. eponabri

eponabri Member

Try using a rinse of rosemary. Pour hot water over fresh rosemary sprigs and let it steep like a tea. Cook and then pour over your hair as the final rinse.

5. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

Olive oil is great for split ends, ive also got really fine hair and i started putting olive oil to the ends of my hair and leaving it on for 1hour then washing it out and my hair has since grown a lot faster, no more split ends, and its thicker :)

6. cynthiaone

cynthiaone Member

I think even If you just buy the hair products that say olive oil it would be better. It doesn't necessarily make it grow but it makes it much healthier.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome Cynthia.

and now I'm going to have to disagree. olive oil in a fairly unprocessed state is good for hair, but not as a simple "makes it sound good " add-on.