Hair Metal

Discussion in 'The 80s' started by MaximusXXX, Aug 3, 2006.

1. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

Are you or ever have been a fan of Hair Metal?

I think it rules.

2. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

Oh yes, very much so. I'll always love it. I lived for Metal Edge magazine and Headbangers Ball on MTV. Rave #4 hairspray and a teasing comb were necessities. :D
    Nothing but concert shirts and ripped up jeans either..anything else just wasn't cool. :p

3. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Dude, I AM hair metal, yo! :sunglasse

4. Alternative_Thinker

Oh yeah, Metal Edge magazine was THE SHIT!! I just found out it's still around, though, I haven't pick up an issue in like forever due to reasons non-related to music/fads/etc. During the period in which I lived in Canada, there was also a Much Music equivalent of Headbanger's Ball called Power 30. Damn, that was a cool-ass program! :sunglasse

5. bassplaya

bassplaya Member

im was born in the decade that killed hair metal but i fuckin love it man. some of my fav bands ever, poison, crue, and the best fuckin one of all, skid row. god, i would have killed to live in the 80s

6. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

How old are you exactly? Judging by your pic I'd say.....really no older than 22 maybe. Forgive me if you're younger. I'm asking cause what you're talking about went out of fasion by 96, I dare say before then, cause Grudge took over from 91-93, I'm 19, and I immigrated to Canada in 95, but 96 would probably be the last year I remember Hair Metal being the rage, seems to be coming back now though.

7. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

Why thank you, but I'm 29 sweetie. :p

8. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

Holy shit, no kidding eh, that's awesome. Wow, then, yeah you were then about 13 when the 80s ended, and about 19 when Hair Metal died intirely, awesome. Wish I had been there.

9. Alternative_Thinker

Actually, Hair Metal never really died. It only stopped being considered as "cool" by the media and mainstreamists. It will never die as long as there are people wanting it. ;)

10. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

I guesse that's just like saying Rock died, I consider Rocky died when Nu Metal came out, but it's not dead entirely, you just have a whole lot of crap rap flying around.

11. MouthfullOfCavities

MouthfullOfCavities Member

i LOve HAIR METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just saw a motley crue concert in March...ohh yeah... I like poison and skid row as well and I saw Def Leppard too.....

12. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

I don't like the "hair metal" name that people use,I like Glam Metal better.Cause big hair is not all these bands had!They had talent!

My favorites are RATT,Motley Crue, & Hanoi Rocks:sunglasse

13. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm an absolute hair metal fanatic!!! Man, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, Night Ranger, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, TNT, Guns 'n Roses, Bon Jovi, Warrant, L.A. Guns, Hollywood Rose, Kiss, Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, Slaughter, Junkyard, Tesla and all the good stuff man. I can't get enough of it. But Def Leppard is by far my favorite.

14. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

What? No Europe? Europe's my 6th favourite Hair Metal/ Glam Metal band.

If you haven't I suggest you listen to some songs.

15. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

I've heard /of/ them of course, I've just never actually head anything by them.

I still say White Lion was the Bob Dylan of hair metal.

16. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Hair metal kicks ass.

17. fateicon

fateicon Member

Hi all,

I love all the bands people here have been talking about. I also like a lot of bands who I think are on par with those already mentioned, but aren't as well-known. Wig Wam, Poodles, Hardcore Superstar, Brother Firetribe, Babylon AD, Crashdiet, Gotthard(mainly Lipservice), Fate, Da Vinci, Treat, Harem Scarem, Icon, King Kobra(Ready to Strike anyway), Randy Piper's Animal(sounds like WASP nowadays, but better), Laos, Alexa, Fiona, Robin Beck, Zeno, Annica, Shameless(blend of Motley and Poison), Witness, Alien, Million(No1), Alyson Avenue, Allison, Vain, Wildside, I could make quite a list. I just wanted more of this type of music and collected quite a bit in the last year and a half or so.

Some of these bands are new, but only sold outside the US. There's a couple import labels that reissue stuff like Fate. A Matter of Attitude is a hair metal gem if you ask me. Just about anything in MTM Records "MTM Classix" line is very good.

Not a lot of people talk about Europe's Wings Of Tomorrow with the same enthusiasm that The Final Countdown gets. I always thought WOT was really good.

Glad to see Hanoi Rocks getting mentioned. Self-Destruction Blues is one of my all-time favorite albums. A buddy of mine in Finland has tons of their stuff, showed me some rarer things.

18. AlawlessLulu69420

AlawlessLulu69420 Member

i loved hair metal ever since i was in my mom's womb, she fell in love with it when pregnant with me, then when i was born, she hated it! now 17 years later i love it like crrazy and i just got my mom back into it :)

19. mlee27

mlee27 Member

That Was Then This Is Now.

20. Hanoi Dollbreaker

Hanoi Dollbreaker Member

YEAH!!! A couple of fellow Hanoi Rocks fans!!!! Other than the New York Dolls and Rolling Stones they were the greatest rock-n-roll band of all-time! Fantastic song after fantastic song... damn I LUV 'EM!!