Hair Loss?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by dotadave, Jun 3, 2004.

1. dotadave

dotadave Member

I've been a vegetarian for the past 2 years. I'm 20 years old and neither of my parents are missing any hair. Lately though, perhaps its my imagination but I'm wondering if my hair line has receded. I eat healthy, or so I think. I eat soy burgers all the time as well as eggs and milk so protein shouldn't be a problem. Could hair loss be a result of a vegetarian diet?

2. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

More than likely, no. Might be in your head but if you are, don't forget the wonders of recessive genes. And you're about the right age. My hair line started receding when I was 19. By my late twenties I was no longer loosing my hair, I had lost it.

3. MentalFloss

MentalFloss Member

Hair loss can be a result of malnutrition.

4. peacegal

peacegal Member

Also keep in mind that stress can result in hair loss and other unexplained symptoms. You may want to consider whether you've been under a lot of stress lately or going through any significant life changes.

5. Enron

Enron Member

I noticed my hair line was further back than everyone elses when i was 13. It must have all crawled onto my chin because ive been growing beards since.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

quit eating soy--it acts like estrogen in the body and high levels of estrogen could be causing your hair loss. try other sources of protein instead--seeds, nuts, etc there should be lots of veggie burger recipes online that use ingredients other than soy

also, are you eating enough healthy fats?

7. Megara

Megara Banned

make sure you are getting enough protein...witohut enough protein the body starts eating itself..and hair has a store of protein. Eggs and milk dont have a ton of protein...a doctor recommended to me to eat .9grams X YourBodyWeight in proteins

8. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

It's not very likely to be a lack of protein. It's barely possible to get a lack of protein in the Western world... far more likely to get an excess of it.

I don't recommend that you eat too much soy, rather explore other protein sources, like beans, peas, quinoa, etc... :) But it's really really unlikely that you're protein deficient.

As for your hair loss... it can be a result of malnutrition/stress. But in most cases, hair loss is genetic and there's nothing you can do about it... I hope you're male!!

Hope your hair comes back,

Sonja

9. clawsy

clawsy Member

id go to the doctor if you are worried. When guys lose hair normally, its called male pattern baldness and is caused by something to do with male hormones and genetics...its not known exactly what though.it starts at hairline.. I doubt soy does it, because its the male hormones that are linked to the "usual" male hair loss...women dont usually lose hair...maybe im wrong thu.

If youre losing it in a clump or all over and not just hair line then id get checked out, major stress can cause hair loss like that ...(i had to learn the basics of dif types of hairloss years & years ago for hairdressing... and thats what i can remeber being told).

I doubt its lack of protein either cause as ppl have said we get enuff in a balanced vege diet and jeepers ive seen a few anorexics , terribly thin, and their hair seems dry, but never seen it falling out...i dunno i think theyd be lacking in protien if anyone ever was.

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I love soy,like tempeh and tofo.I never herd that if you eat to much in your diet that it acts like estrogen.i do it for i herd and read that it helps in fighting cancer.Sounds true though.I guess an overload with soy could be bad if you did not have balance in your diet.As far as hair loss stress is the hightest on the list.Next of course would be genetic.And third would be lack
    in proper diet.Like not getting enough good food into your body.If you take what been said here by everone i am sure you can to see what area you are in.

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

see, the thing is that estrogen can be a precursor to testosterone. so, ya, it can cause hair loss. just ask any woman with pcos. :rolleyes:

hey, stilanas, are you male or female?

12. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I didn't know that soy didn't contain estrogen... I remember reading an article about how it contains estrogen and this is somehow linked to... something... like cancer or something. But then again, I didn't see any soy beans growing boobs, so they probably don't have estrogen. Not that I'd expect a plant to have hormones identical to human hormones.

Sorry, just being a little silly there :).

Btw, is it possible for women to ever lose their hair?

13. akhc

akhc Member

soy contains phyto-estrogens.. which is to say it's the plant equivalent of human estrogen.. it binds weakly to human estrogen receptors in the body and can alleviate female symptoms of menopause.. to a degree.

male pattern baldness is a result of testosterone.. basically there are drugs that will block the testosterone receptors but it also reduces libido.. hmm :) maybe that's not such a bad thing :D!

14. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

Didgeridoodoo~send your sis over to soulcysters.com

15. terrapinchasin

terrapinchasin Member

try a B12 supplement. one of my raw vegan friends was loosing ahir, and this helped a lot.

16. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

He's ovo lacto so it would be a safe bet B12 isn't a problem.