haight ashbury 60-s

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by wardguy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. wardguy

wardguy Member

Im new here so bare with me, also not good with computers, Im looking for info on a group of street people that spent much time there in the sixties. This group of people werent the norm for the Haight they were a group of tight nitted people the were formed in the haight and called them selves STP family. Mostly they didnt care about love or peace, all had nicknames, drank most of the time and did live of the streets,they traveled from city to city mostly austin, new orleans, boulder, sf. gainsville florida I believe there were a couple hundred, also many retired in a town called cuba new mex., some nicknames were spooky, kansas city bob, major, greek mary, josh, midget jessie, nancy, twin dave and twin rick,. also looking for a good picture book that would show people on the streets of the haight

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

thereve been other posts about them, maybe in hippies or remember when or somewhere..
    dunno if it got any good replies though..seems they maybe fadeed away and were forgotten?
    well maybe not forgotten since your at least the 3rd person whos been looking for info on em...
    repost it (or mods move it?) to the old hippies forum and u might get some info...maybe

3. Jay_Billionz

Jay_Billionz Member

lol @ hippies...

4. riversong

riversong Member

wardguy - there seems to have been more than one incarnation of my beautiful family. the STP Family who started in the lower east side in nyc - *not* san francisco - and those who came on board later on. the first family was loving and kind and cared very much about peace and love (you need to know about STP John) though irreverent and honest and hardcore free and loose. it was later that there were those who joined up who apparently didn't give a rip about peaceful values. it broke stp john's heart (i should know, he was my old man). and by then many of the originals , though still with the family in spirit, were branching out to other parts of the country - betty boop and janice and roach and wheatgerm were up at johnson's farm in vt, i was in minnesota some of the time, annie fanny had gone back to new york as had zak and caroline, hawkus to nj and jc - hmmm, where did that beautiful brother go? a lot of us didn't intend to stay away but by the time some of us wanted the family to get back to the family, it was fractured and new folks had joined up and you're right, a lot of them, apparently weren't so much about peace and love. but i can tell you, early on, not all of us drank all the time. for some of us, drinking was simply the ultimate in rebellion (and an adventure to peaceful pot smokers and acid heads) and we knew it wasn't something we'd do forever. some, like roach and wheatgerm, unhappily, did have problems with alcohol. but it seems you saw only one side of the family or only parts of the family. and not the ones who really started the family. i'm not saying we were these fragile insulated hippie kids - we could be totally real in a way that made lots of folks uncomfortable - but there was a lot of love and caring about making the world a better place. i'm just sorry that that's not the family that's remembered or talked about. my love, stp john, was shot down. so was deputy dawg. roach (josh) burned up in a fire at the farm. little brother - guess he was shot, too. who was left?

5. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

Riversong, Thank you for clearing that up sister, so sorry for your loss so many yrs ago... STP family origenated in NY, but many of them did travel to SFs Haight Ashbury and Oakland. I met several of STP family while I was living in the Good Earth Commune.. There are some that leave messages in Back To The Garden, in Hippies. Some of the old ones have posted, maybe you would like to check it out when you have a moment.

Bright Blessings
    sh

1 person likes this.
  6. luvione

luvione Member

Hi RiverSong, my sweet sister. I always say I am not STP, but a friend! I am glad you came and sd the things you did, your a darlin. Glad to see ya,,, Love & Light,
    Kimmie*

1 person likes this.
  7. edguyette

edguyette Guest

Didnt mean to offend anyone but the people I knew were very dear to me . Major was a feiend to me , I have recently been in touch with Littlre john, saw a picture of Kat in new mex., spooky etc. yes it was not what you wanted to see happen as splinter groups evolved but they were family to me and many others. I was so glad to find pics of all of them again as time goes on memories become fonder

8. shameless_heifer

Wardguy started this thread yet, edguyette is now talking.!?!?

The guideline state that you may have more then one ID, but you cannot use both of them in the same thread.

Be aware.

sh

9. fleur3

fleur3 Guest

LB died of an overdose.

10. shameless_heifer

Wardguy,Edguyette are both SaftyPin. SaftyPin was a nark and got dosed by some STP back in the day. He ended up in a sike hospital for many yrs and is seeking revenge on STP. Do Not Be Fooled by this wolf in sheeps clothing.

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

11. riversong

riversong Member

shameless_heifer, thanks for sharing that information!!

12. riversong

riversong Member

And thanks, shameless_heifer - and thanks for your kind words. yeah, lots of family went on to San Francisco, that's true. But SF was definitely the origin of the family. How awesome that you knew some as well! Blessings -