Haggis or ingredients in the Netherlands?

Discussion in 'Meat' started by Myranya, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Anyone know where I can find a Haggis in the Netherlands, or even just a place that sells the ingredients (sheep's stomach & organ meats)?

2. jim_w

jim_w Member

any good butcher will. I have no idea what the relevant bits are called in Dutch, but over here you want the 'pluck' of a sheep, and its stomach. Do you have a recipe, or would you like one?

3. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Thanks for your reply :) I found a bunch of recipes on the 'net, but if you have a simple one or any tips of your own, that would be welcome. Have you made it?

I'm not sure if we can still get those animal parts though, even at a butcher's... there are really tight regulations about all kinds of 'non-standard' meats and animal parts since the BSE and all... Ah well, I may just have to try and ask. I'd have preferred to find a whole haggis -much easier ;)- but I think I'll have to settle for making my own... I posted this in Januari and yours is the first response!

4. jim_w

jim_w Member

Heh. Well, I've not (yet!) made haggis, but i've eaten plenty. I could post you a real scottish haggis if you wanted... :-D If you're in the EU (which I think you are), you ought to be under the same rules as us. You can *definately* get lungs and so forth legally; it's spinal cord and brain that are restricted due to BSE/scrapie. And pigs don't suffer from that sort of thing, so you can even get their brains! If you can find a real butcher (which should be easy in the Netherlands), then it's well worth getting to know him; he can provide you with all manner of odd things, often for free. I went so far as to get a job at my butcher's, and I've got to sample all kinds of strange and wonderful things!

I can wholeheartedly reccomend a book called "The fifth quarter"; it's on amazon, and it's full of good offal recipes. I'll post the haggis one if you like. If you'd rather buy a haggis ready-made, MacSween are the biggest maker of quality haggis. They should be able to give you the name of a supplier in your area. You can find their contact details at www.macsween.co.uk.

Good luck!