Gun violence- are you a victim or know somone who was?

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Eric!, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

While living in a house in my college years we heard a popping sound coming from downstairs.
    Turns out one of the guys was trying to shoot a cat in the house with a semiautomatic pistol. He missed but put a few holes through the walls.

I had a buddy that discharged a shotgun in the parking lot of a teenage night club one night, just for fun, later he was a big mucky muck in the Pagans.

A couple other buddies used to shot at each other with .22 rifles to see who could come closest to hitting each other, without hitting each other.

I was held at gun point during a attempted robbery at the Erie Canal Soda Pop Festival (Bull Island, Illinois).
    I had a guy on either side of me and one about ten feet away in front with the gun, my back was to our car. They went through my pockets and when they didn't find anything they started hitting me. So I rolled with the punches, hit the ground and came up running.
    The noise and rocking car woke my brother in law who was sleeping on the ground on the other side of the car. He started yelling about getting disturbed and the dudes ran off.
    So I turned around and went back.

Once when riding dirt bikes on LSD, we wandered into a no trespassing area on our way to somewhere and this car came around the bend of a dirt road. There was a guy hanging out of the passenger window with a shotgun, so I spun around and started to leave, but when I looked back one guy I was with rode up to the car. My other friend and I couldn't leave him there so we went up to it too.
    At this time there was a gang of riders called the "Mountain Boys", about 40 of them, who would ride around till they got hungry then they'd break into cabins and eat all the food and drink all the beer. These weren't the typical hunting cabins as this was around the Mellon estates in Rolling Rock, PA. Very rich area. They had beat up a grounds keeper so the local citizenry was up in arms and the state police had been hunting them with helicopters.
    We were held at gun point until the state police arrived an hour later, but it turned out that the driver of the car had wildcatted for oil with the grandfather of my one buddy so they ended up letting us go with a warning. Strange trip.

My brother was caught trying to steal a car stereo one night by a local citizen. He held a gun to my brother's head and pulled the trigger. Luckily the gun jammed. Afterwards the guy was really upset when he realized what he had done, I think my brother was like 16 or something.
    The dude never pressed charges.

About ten years ago my neighbor was killed on her back patio by a serial killer. He slit her throat. They had a gun in the house but it didn't matter as he sneaked up on her as she was talking on the phone. They left her on the back porch for hours while forensics did their stuff. This was in a very middle class suburban neighborhood. The guy was from down south somewhere and just passing through looking for someone to murder. Took them over a year to solve that one.

Oh, yeah...once my great uncle came to me and said that some blond guy had pulled a gun on him and threatened to shoot him. He was probably 80 years old at the time. He was a rough character who had been a bootlegger during prohibition and used to tell us where various bodies were buried around the area.
    Anyway, he said my name came up somehow and the guy put put away the gun once he realized I was a relative. I never did find out who it was.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    scratcho likes this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Phillipines is very interesting. They do not value life the way most people in other countries do, and will not hesitate to take it. Brutality is a way of life over there, and I'm wondering if it's the aftermath of the Spanish and Japanese occupying the Phillipines many years ago. A lot of bad things happened over there that created a survival mindset that I'm sure was passed down from generation to generation.

What these teens are doing down in Florida, should be capitalized on and expanded by all victims of gun violence. We've done that in everything else, i.e. "Me Too" and "Black Lives Matter", and this movement is long overdue.
    All people really fucking about in this country is money, and more fuckin money. Politicians are bought out all the time by the NRA, and if they don't support the NRA, that organization will find someone who will support them. It's that simple.
    Until they get things under control, I will continue to carry concealed.

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Jesus Christ! My worst fear :anguished:

Eric! likes this.
  4. Eric!

Wow, you have some interesting cases as well! Your brother is lucky to be alive. Did he continue to steal car stereos after that or did he call it a wrap and straighten up? Some folks aren't that lucky and only get to screw up once and end up paying for it the rest of thier lives. The serial killer; do you know if he climbed the fence or came through an unlocked gate, or was there even a fence at all? I'm disturbed by that story the most, since my wife likes to smoke on the back patio all the time. And because of that, I've made our gate a secured gate with a lock and bells hanging from the handle.
    I did that because I feared the very same thing happening to her when I'm not home, because she goes out in the middle of the night, sometimes early wee hours of the morning to smoke a goddamn cigarette. Complacency kills...
    What's it like doing LSD and riding a dirt bike?

5. Eric!

You have no clue who's watching you all the time and why. People that intend to do you harm can come out of nowhere. The member that talked about his wife getting raped by their lawn guy they've known for 3 years, that story was just as scary. That means he has had his sights set on her from day one, and waiting for an opportunity to arise. WTF!? Who saw that coming? I try hard to instill awareness to my wife and daughter and they continue to play on thier phones, totally unaware of what's going on around them......

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

When I was younger I was fearless but I just get more anxious and neurotic as I get older. I've stopped walking around alone at night. I used to go on rambling 3 mile walks every night with no fear but would never do that now. I dont even really like to go sit on the patio by myself late at night but that's a really good idea about putting a lock and bells on the gate. Sometimes our gate is open in the morning. We've had issues with our neighbor's kids coming in the yard and playing with my son's toys so i've always assumed that's why the gate was open but you just never know.

That is really scary about the wife that was raped by the lawn guy. I always, always trust my gut with people but in situations like that, the lawn guy had been coming to their house and building their trust for years.

We actually found out the son of one of my neighbors is a convicted rapist. He lives with his parents. He has schizophrenia and I was the one who always encouraged my boyfriend to be nice to him, he creeped my boyfriend out from their first meeting but I felt sorry for him. Then we found out he was a rapist, he raped the sister of someone we know, actually.

I havent seen him in a while though, he occassionally goes to jail or a mental institution for picking fights with his parents. I hope he stays away this time, it creeps me out so bad living next to him

7. Eric!

Wow, you're right next door to that creep? Hopefully he does go away for awhile, but as long as they live there, he could potentially come back at some point. That's a good thing that your boyfriend picked up on the creepiness the first time. Why do you ladies not listen to us when we tell you these things? I got the same thing going on over here, LOL!

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

(To post 100)Interesting story, MVW. The guy that runs the place now, Duterte, has bragged about riding around on his motorcycle looking for people to kill. Had to do with drugs as I understand .

9. Eric!

People like that will meet thier fate one day. It won't have anything to do with karma, someone will just be more than happy to get the best of him.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah, he's a dangerous lunatic. They do have a crazy drug (and drug related violence) problem though. Something drastic had to be done, but there's a thing as too drastic and this dude has gone that route.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Many interesting stories. I have a CC permit, but I've never carried. I'm not sure how "high up" the background check went on me or anyone else, but it must go well up the line--maybe to the Fibbies. I don't know, but 1st time something alerts me to a possible threat around here, I will consider carrying.Damn shame the country has come to this. As I mentioned in my earlier post------I never even HEARD of someone carrying a hidden gun back in the 40s--50s.

Eric! likes this.
  12. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

That sounds very Japanese---so many cases are weird, to say the least. Some murderers become morbid cult heroes---like the Japanese guy that was living in France and killed his French girlfriend and ate her. Or the Japanese prostitute who killed her lover by strangulation during orgasm, as they had been strangling each other to intensify their orgasms, and she claimed that he had asked her to end it, in part because of the intense mutual jealousy that conumed their relationship---she of his wife, and he of her other lovers or customers, and that he said it was too painful to come back afterwards. She was found wandering the streets of Tokyo in a daze with his severed penis. There was an underground movie about this, 'In the Realm of the Senses,' that you can still buy on DVD.

I have a book in Japanese that your wife is probably familiar with----it was famous/infamous in Japan. Without digging it out of my library, I think the title was, Jisatsu no handobuuku (The Suicide Handbook). It goes all over the various methods of suicide and rates them for effectiveness, pain, and so forth. It describes the last moments of life in each scenario, as well as what can happen if you don't achieve what you intended. I bought it both out of curiosity (as I think many people did) and as a morbid novelty. However, there is no easy way to handle the writing of, or existence of, such a book. The book has very likely been directly responsible for the emotional pain of surviving relatives, perhaps of a victim that without such a book would have never actually commited the act. On the other hand, in a society where suicide is an overarching existential reality justified by far too common of cultural motifs, it has perhaps limited the physical pain of the last moments of life of those who were committed to ending it.

More than once I have been on a train that was stopped for several hours because someone had committed suicide at one of the next stations. Another time I was heading down into a subway, and got half way down the stairs before discovering that the station was closed due to a suicide. I will never forget that a very definite odor of human blood wafted up the stairwell.

Suicide costs train companies a fortune in lost revenues as well as clean up and other costs. A few decades back they started charging this to the victim's families. Therefore people started jumping without any sign of identification on them.

Eric! likes this.
  13. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

You forgot to tell the part where, after your friends and you came down off of the LSD, you discovered that the car turned out to be a large tree, and the shotgun was a large branch that you guys stood in front of, frozen, for the longest time.

(I'm JOKING!!!! (...But we've all been there, right?))

MeAgain and Eric! like this.
  14. Eric!

"The Suicide Handbook".....I just couldn't bring myself to read such a book, or anything similar to that, even out of shear interest. That's insane. I will check my wife's Japanese book collection to make sure she doesn't Possess one of these. I'm sure she knows of it though. I experienced the same thing with the stopped trains numerous times while I was there. Of all the suicide deaths to pick, why that one, for fuck sake? That has to be the post painful- tons and tons of steel smacking into your body at a high rate of speed, and not stopping for quite sometime, or thier bodies ripped and shredded to pieces if they get underneath it somehow.

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I think my brother graduated to selling pop (edit pot). He has some interesting stories about that.

The serial killer was a truck driver. He parked his rig and went on the hunt. My neighbor was the first one killed. He put on a ninja suit and was eventually found with DVD.s and books about how to kill people. He probably watched her from the bushes. We didn't have fences. His MO was to try to find unlocked doors, he may have tried ours. She used to talk on the phone at odd hours in her yard, if I remember this was like around 1 AM. My wife heard something as we had the 2nd floor windows open, but think anything until the morning when we woke up to fifty thousand police cars.
    Her family was asleep in the house and the person on the other end rushed over when she abruptly stopped talking and found her.
    He got her from behind, she never saw the guy coming, I'm sure.

He was eventually caught in Massachusetts. I tried to tell the cops that something was strange as another woman was attacked and stabbed four days later about 50 miles away, but they seemed to think it was her husband.

Riding a dirt bike on LSD (and grass at the same time) is very strange. Especially in the woods as the trees tend to move around.
    Also we had to keep stopping to check the back tires as we constantly thought they were going flat.
    Other than that it's pretty cool as you can't hurt anyone but yourself and it can allow you to focus big time.
    Look up Dock Ellis, the Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher who threw a no hitter against the San Diego Padres while on LSD.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Eric! likes this.
  16. Eric!

Wow, that's sad and gruesome. If I were her husband at that trial, I would have leaped forward from the stands to get to that guy and bite his face off! I don't know how families keep it together in a courtroom, and the ones that can't hold it together and have outbursts, I savor every moment of that anger they feel and praise them if they make it all the way over and get thier hands on the killer. I will look up Dock Ellis.

17. Eric!

Damn good reason to! It's a shame it's come to that and people feel they have to, but you can't argue with people that have had close calls, for having one.

katsia likes this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Can you say "awesome"?

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

He may never need it again though (chances may increase depending on where he goes in the future)

20. Eric!

What's it like there? Is there any crime at all? I don't hear anything in the news about Switzerland, ever.