guitar mind fuck

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by -steve-, May 27, 2006.

1. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't give a fuck about how fast music is.

2. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Thing is, if you ask these guys about hendrix i guarantee he is held in their minds as a god, BECAUSE HE WAS DOING SHIT WAY BEFORE HIS TIME AND THEY WOULD NOT BE AT THE LEVEL THEY ARE WITHOUT PEOPLE LIKE HIM. I doubt becker or any shredder would refer to hendrix as a piece of shit.

3. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Some people just put down this type of music style for no good reason. They don't know how to respect and appreciate what a guitar virtuoso does with his guitar. Why? I guess it's the same as a lot of other things in life: societal conditioning.

You probably won't care to know this, but the piece he was playing in the video was written by a composer named Niccolo Paganini in the 1800's. As the title indicates, it is the 5th "Caprice" of the famous masterpiece "24 Caprices". So many prestigious violinists from around the world, for many, MANY years, have been playing Paganini's work and have been receiving such high acclamations by music critics and music lovers alike.

As an owner of the 24 Caprices(on CD), I will tell you that Jason Becker, in the video, pretty much played it as is. Just because it is played on a distorted guitar shouldn't make it any less respectable than it is on a violin. I don't see people whining about violinists or pianists playing fast. It's almost always electric guitarists whom people are often so determined to bash the hell out of, when they show signs of virtuosity. If people can't see the pretty damned obvious double standard here, they truly are nothing more than narrow-minded, self-righteous, whiny jerks who complain because they are too caught up in trying to put emphasis on "soul", "emotions", "art", blah blah blah.

Incidentally, Mozart encountered this VERY thing centuries prior due to them musical snobs pretty much thinking his music lacked elegance because it had "too many notes". He argued that all the notes were there because he felt, as a composer, that they were necessary to make that particular piece complete. Now, his music is loved by practically everyone, and practically not one of them questions the artistic, musical aspect of it.

But to sum it up... Where's the musicality, you ask? Believe me, there's plenty of it within.

Here is something I'd like to ask all of you to consider:

You don't compare abstract art and photorealism, and decide for the rest of the world which one is "better". You can only go so far as to "prefer" one over the other AS AN INDIVIDUAL, but you can NOT decide whether or not one is more artistic than the other. Abstract and photorealism are BOTH highly regarded genres in the field of visual arts. Jimi Hendrix and Jason Becker: SAME THING. Dissing one genre and state as though to speak on behalf of ALL art/music lovers out there just because you prefer the other will only degrade and disgrace yourself as a person.

I personally believe I'm being rather sensible about this. I am definitely not making harsh comments directed to Jason Becker regarding his illness, nor am I going to bash Jimi Hendrix just because he is not as technically advanced as the former. I just think they are both great in their own ways, not better or worse.

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Hey, you just said something I can totally agree with! :)

See, I'm not being too unreasonable here, am I? lol

But you're right. The fact is that so many SHREDDERS have been quite largely influenced by Jimi Hendrix. Look at Yngwie J.Malmsteen and Joe Satriani for instance. Those two are very well-known for having Hendrix as their influences. Yngwie had been blown away hardcore when he'd encountered Jimi's music, and Joe, upon hearing of Jimi's death, had been so shocked he quit the football team right there. And these are among the "shredders" whose styles have been well-respected not only within the shredding communities but in the field of music as the whole.

5. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

We never put down this style of music for "no reason"...we gave our reasons, you just dont like them.

6. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Hilarious. This coming from someone who thinks that Becker's guitar playing is "technologically advanced". Yes, Becker's piece that he didn't write from the 1800s is very advanced and us know-nothings won't or can't appreciate it. Please.

7. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Also, the thought of you equating Becker to Mozart really shows your musical and historical ignorance. Think about what Mozart did to the world of music, and go watch that video of Becker again. Mozart was a pioneer, Becker is a name that no one will remember in 20 years.

To quote Frank Zappa: "All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

8. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

You're being perfectly reasonable; I think it's mostly steve the asshat who my comments were directed to. Steve acts like we're all morons because we don't like to listen to classical music from the 1800s.

I speak on the behalf of myself, a whiney jerk caught up in the emphasis of soul and emotion, which must make you a snobby tight-ass caught up in the emphasis of technicalities :p jk i think we all know that's steve. I don't look at my opinion as fact, but if you're going to call one of the most innovative guitarists in the history of music a 'piece of shit' and some guy who is playing a classical piece from the 1800s a 'god,' I am going to have to say something. It's just a moronic comparison.

There is no double standard for me; classical playing is classical playing. It's pretty boring to me... I only listen to classical if I need to mellow out hardcore. I wouldn't listen to boisterous classical like this at all. I would probably learn how to play it, then apply those chops in a type of music that moves me, and I hope will speak to people like me.

O and congratulations to steve for maintaining such an impeccable level of ass-hattery here.

Sometimes I think people forget that music is an art.

9. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

and how dare he have the name of the real god, Steve Howe