guitar mind fuck

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by -steve-, May 27, 2006.

1. -steve-

-steve- Member

2. Zepp

Zepp Member

all i can say is fucking aye!

3. Idiotic panic

Idiotic panic Member

4. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

How much fruit salad does he have at his feet?...Yup all effects.Didn't impress me.

5. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

annoying.

6. OstrOsized

OstrOsized Member

Good technical skills, but where's the soul?

That sucks for him that he can't move a muscle now though.

7. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

That's pretty impressive!

8. mellow jello

mellow jello Member

whoa....... that was awsome.

9. -steve-

-steve- Member

youre a fucking idiot if you think he's using any effects other than distorsion, you obviously dont know much about guitar if you werent impressed by that. jesus he's yo yo-ing as he plays waht more do you want haha

10. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Even if he was using an arsenal of effects, it wouldn't matter. He can still play a guitar extremely well. I'm just so tired of this whole shred your face off style of guitar playing that I could puke. Too many kids wanna be Steve Vai these days.

11. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Btw, he was using more than distortion...you could tell from the sound. Like I said though, the guy can play. It seemed really repetitive to me though.

12. -steve-

-steve- Member

HTML:
    Too many kids wanna be Steve Vai these days.
    could be worse they could be trying to be yngwie:eek:

13. -steve-

-steve- Member

what other effects do u reckon hes using? possibly reverbe

14. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Although it isn't "all effects", he's definitely using distortion, reverb, maybe higain, and most likely a compressor. Still, it's not very impressive, aesthetically it has some merit but as someone else mentioned there is no art or soul to it.

15. -steve-

-steve- Member

^^^ For the reckord jimi hendrix was a peice of shit guitarist who isn't even in the same leage as becker. youre all fucked if you think this guy isn't impressive none of you can play this, not ONE OF YOU. blah blah it has no soul, what the fuck are you talking about the guy is just showing off his technical skills not trying playing an actual song. Becker can play anything from super fast arpegios to blues and classical finger picking pieces.

16. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Steve, leave them be. If they can't appreciate musicianship, that's their loss. I personally think Jason Becker is truly exceptional, but there are always those who speak ill of technically advanced playing styles by using excuses such as "no soul", and "no art". People are entitled to like whatever kind of music they like. Certain display of ignorance may become apparent in the process, but that is with any other thing in life.

Having said that, it isn't exactly anyone's place to say whether or not an artist's creation is "art" either, especially when that artist has worked so hard to achieve his/her skills and to create a piece. In this case with Jason Becker, although the piece itself was composed by Noccolo Paganini, NO EXCEPTION. As a guitar player myself, I can fully understand what it takes to achieve such a high level of musicianship. The amount of dedication put into developing the skills to become a better musician should be acknowledged and respected.

What really amazes me is how so many people applaud upon listening to such skillful playing of a violinist or a pianist, but quite disapprove of an electric guitar player doing essentially the same thing. But hey... All greats have a way of getting ridiculed, I suppose. Look at Mozart. ;)

17. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix was not a "piece of shit guitarist". Notice I didn't say he was the greatest or most skilled or any of that other garbage. I don't think he was the best or anything like some people do. I also said that Jason Becker was a really good player in a previous post, I just said I don't like that kind of music. I never said it had no soul or that it wasn't art. I simply don't like to listen to people sit there and play ridiculously fast solos. I know it takes alot of practice and determination to play like that, but it also doesn't sound unique at all...because so many people want to play that same stuff these days. And the guy talking about violins is right, I would much rather like to hear that music on a violin. On a distorted guitar, it just doesn't sound as good as it does on a violin.

18. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

If i ever did play that stuff in front of people, I would expect them to shoot me. It's annoying as hell.

19. OstrOsized

OstrOsized Member

I think he's really good and I'm sure it took him a long time to get that good. And as a guitarist I actually do like to have the ability to pull off things such as that just because it's a pretty big milestone in skill of a guitarist. But I would never want to play like that in my music creation and performance because I don't care for shredding that much compared to other styles.

20. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

SLammon, what is annoying is your constantly referring to this type of music as annoying. You don't like it. Fine. We all know that by now. You obviously have some serious issues with shredding, it almost sounds like you're whining out of jealousy. Besides, you don't decide what should be played on which instrument. That isn't up to you, but to the musician. You don't decide which sounds better, because there is no better or worse but simply the differences in the tonal qualities.
    You can still prefer one thing better than the other, but to diss something unnecessarily in the process of doing so may make you seem a bit ignorant and immature. I suppose that would go for Steve too, since he had to resort to using harsh words to defend his views. I understand where he is coming from, but I still would have argued differently.

Frankly speaking, I don't even see much of a point in arguing about something like this. Some people will never understand it, so why bother? As long as there are also those who DO like technically advanced guitar music, it's all good. People just need to be more respectful when criticizing a certain style of music.