Guess What? Some People Can't "Catch" AIDS!?

Discussion in 'Gay News' started by PoetDude39, Jun 29, 2005.

1. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Has anybody else seen that program about plagues (from around 2 years ago) that has proof that certain people can be exposed to HIV numerous times, yet never test positive or become sick? The theory is that because of the Bubonic Plague, a few lucky people from that time somehow developed a super strong immune system (to fight off the plaque infection), and now all the folks related to them are able to prevent HIV from destroying them. One case was especially haunting: A gay man in his fifties (that had literally lost hundreds of friends to AIDS) never became infected even though he had been having unsafe sex with the same people that his friends had been sleeping with. Not only was he the only one to survive, but he continues to test negative for HIV. It was a sad story. But it also is very good news. And it could very well help to lead to a cure (or vaccine) a whole lot sooner than we thought.

Peace,

PD

2. greenwing-macaw

greenwing-macaw Member

It is true that some people seem to have a natural immunity to certain diseases, including HIV/AIDS. As an example but also not to brag about it, I have a natural immunity to influenza because I have been around people who had the flu on numerous occasions but never got it even though one would expect to come down with the flu after being around flu-stricken people. I also don't get colds very often either, or sick for that matter, but sometimes I can pick up strep throat easily.

John

3. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

It's great news, but I hope it doesn't encourage people who aren't so immune to behave unwisely. I'm happy about anything that leads to more knowledge, prevention and a cure.

4. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

That just means the "lucky" ones become a vector for the disease.

5. shevek

shevek Just Myself

I've heard about this, but I'm not about to presume that I'm one of those lucky few. Even though I hardly ever catch anything, and when I do get the flu I'm over it in 24 hrs or so, maybe 48 if it's a really nasty strain.

I admit that I accept a small risk, but so does just about everybody who's sexually active. I also accept a small risk of getting into a fatal accident every time I drive down the freeway, but I wear a seat belt and I don't speed or drive like a maniac. Likewise, I play safe when I have sex, and I do get myself tested every 2 years as a precaution.

Caution and common sense are good, but I'm not going to stop having a life just to theoretically stay alive a little longer; we're all going to die someday anyway. But neither am I going to be an idiot and push my luck, and I don't need to be an idiot in order to have a life -- far from it! I don't think that someone who has to screw everything in sight is really living it up; someone like that is in fact compulsively covering over some serious problems. But someone who is celibate because of excessive phobias has serious problems too. Life is a risk, and the final death rate is 100% anyway, so I might as well have a little fun while I can.

This is a lot of what life is about -- a balanced and realistic attitude.

6. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Have you seen "Debbie Downer" on Saturday Night Live? I could hear the music from the skit when I read this post!

A vector for the disease. . . Like a mosquito is a vector for West Nile Virus?

Possibly, but I have never heard of someone contracting HIV from an individual who is HIV negative.

7. DreamerSpirit

DreamerSpirit Member

Last year in biology class I remember seeing a video that mentioned somthing about some people being resistant to HIV/AIDS as a result of the bubonic plague. I believe that the viedo mentioned that about 10% of the cacuasian population is resistant... not to say that you shouldn't use proper precautions in terms of sex and STD's and the like, because you most certanily should!

8. shevek

shevek Just Myself

Good point. Don't assume that you're resistant, the odds are still worse than doing Russian roulette five times in a row. (Assuming six places for bullets, of course; some revolvers have more.)

9. TheSteppenwolf

TheSteppenwolf Member

This is all news to be; and very fascinating. Thanks for the info.

10. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

You are totally welcome. I always enjoy sharing good news. And this is very good news indeed! Thanks for taking a peek....

Peace,

PD

11. JonT5

JonT5 Member

Press Release 22nd August 2006
    Test for HIV immunity released.

It seems some humans are resistant to infection by HIV – and it’s in their genes. Delta32 Gene Testing Labs has just announced the release of a commercially available test for the CCR5 delta 32 gene mutation (www.delta32.com.au). This gene confers resistance to infection by HIV in humans. Around 10-20% of the caucasian general population and lower percentages of other groups have 1 copy of this gene. Research studies have shown that whilst one copy of the gene does not provide a barrier to infection, it can slow the progression of latent HIV infection to AIDS. Conversely, 2 copies can render an individual highly resistant to infection by the majority of strains of HIV. Although only 1-3% of the caucasion general population have 2 copies of the delta32 gene mutation, as high as 20-30% of groups at high risk of HIV infection have 2 copies. Very few individuals with 2 copies of the gene have ever been recorded as being infected by the virus. Whilst other human genes can yield resistance to HIV, the delta32 gene mutation is one of the better characterised examples. Delta32 Gene Labs is offering the test to consumers for US$160. DNA samples are taken by the customers via a cheek swab and sent through the mail. The company states that it provides the service for the information of customers only, it is not considered as a diagnostic. Irrespective of the genetic status of individuals, the company strongly encourages the use of safe sex practices. Any decisions taken as a result of the test should be dicussed with a physician or genetic counsellor beforehand.

12. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

barebacking for everyone! :rolleyes:

13. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I was watching this segment on CNN the other day about how those home DNA testing services were notoriously a rip off.

14. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I feel very uncomfortable with it all I must say
    S

15. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

It doesn't sound like a substitute for safer sex.

16. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes exactly
    S

17. djfixxx

djfixxx Guest

This is from when there was the The Black Death, a bubonic plague pandemic which reached Europe in 1347 spread to England in 1348, and killed between a third and more than half of the nation's inhabitants. The Black Death was the first and most severe manifestation of the Second Pandemic, caused by the Yersinia pestis bacteria.

Many people survived it, the people immune to aids are the descendants of these people.

18. GBBlondie

GBBlondie Banned

You brought back a 7 year old thread for that? :rolleyes:

19. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

This gave my boyfriend and I something to talk about. Interesting post!

20. nox_lumen

nox_lumen Member

Actually, it was 2/3 of Europe that went down to the black death. So most of Europe died. Slowly and painfully. The same virus is still in squirrels and rats today, but we have better hope of surviving infection and more flea control than the days when trash was literally tossed out into the street and the church thought it was a good ideal to take out the natural predator of rats because cats may be the familiars of witches and therefore must all be in league with the devil. Asia was smarter and when the same virus turned up there, sick people were isolated and cats were left to do what they do.

And speaking of history, there was a time when syphilis was a death sentence as well, so i still hope there will be a cure for HIV/AIDS.

And there is a rather big difference between being immune and being a carrier who shows no symptoms. I wonder if the AIDS virus has the equivalent of a Typhoid Mary as well as those naturally immune.