GRR! Fuck the Peace Corps

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by pushit, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

Well I turn 18 in two weeks so I need to get the ball rolling, all this year I have to get a car, learn to drive, start saving money, get a job(which is tough in these times), decide if I want to go to school or join a program and blah blah blah.

So no, I really don't have time.

2. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

Karma points?? Hahaha.. Never heard/read anyone say that before.. Awesome.

Also, India's not mystic. You want to help, you won't be doing anything mystic. It's not a holiday, at the end of the day it's work and you're supposed to be working to help people, which y'know, will be hard.

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Jesus Christ, then it's no wonder that they don't want you in Peace Corps.
    You have to offer them something and it sounds like you really can't do that.

Go to school, and try again later :)

4. wally m

wally m 14

I have no skills but hey can you send me to the beach for free, I have no work history but hey can you send me to the beach for free......

5. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

they say the mountains of afghanistan are beautiful in the spring..

know for a fact theres a need for 30,000 more able bodied young men there..

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you have a day's worth of work and another day's worth of thinking listed here. that leaves you 363 days of the year...

as far as not having money for school, how can you afford to always be doing drugs?

7. pushit

I know I wouldn't be doing anything mystical but the place seems cool, other then the sickness. I just like the temples, they look sweet.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

icebergs also look sweet. move to antarctica with no further research!

9. pushit

I get what your saying but I want to go somewhere warm, without snow.

10. zihger

zihger Senior Member

You should just save some money and go travel, get a seasonal job on an Alaskan fish boat or something. And when the seasons over you will have enough money to go travel where you want.

When you run out of money in the tropics get a job at a tourist resort pouring drinks for tourists or something.

11. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

get an education, apply again. or, get an education, pay your own way.

12. pushit

Working on a fish boat in Alaska would be the most horrible thing I could do, mostly since I'm not a fast paced person. Although the second one sounds like fun. But I'd like to travel while I'm young, not finally get out of here for a couple weeks. The peace corps would be over two years, that is way better then under a month.

13. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

but you're pretty much tits up useless.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hahahaha.I want-I need -I need.

15. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

Under a month is better, like a taster, if you like it you can continue. If you don't and you're there for two years, you're pretty much screwed.

16. pushit

Well that is true, but I could never afford to actually go for two years if I decided thats what I wanted. but whatever, they accept people even if they are old so maybe I'll acquire skills along the way and do it later.

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Go to med school and then join Doctors Without Borders :)

18. pushit

I would hate being a doctor, I'd just write everybody prescriptions and get my license taken away.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

:D.. you so silly..

For the Noobs. You dont get the 15k bonus, till you get back.. Reenlists have a hard time getting the money too.. :(

20. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I’ve known a few people that did peace corps, they liked at but Peace Corps does have a pretty strict screening process. They have a lot of people drop out after a month or two and it is a big waste of time and money for them so they screen pretty well.

The big drawback about peace corps is you only get to pick a region so you might get sent to a nice fishing town on a tropical beach or you might get sent to a dried up hell hole with a bunch of inbreed savages full of bugs and intestinal worms.

You don’t know it is a total luck of the draw, they have nice places and they have hellholes.

It is semi hard to get into Peace Corps and you only make enough to live (I think if you make it 2 years you leave with 2-4K).

It is probably easier to just make a few grand and go travel.