GRR! Fuck the Peace Corps

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by pushit, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

You would think anybody could just volunteer but no. No, you have to have at minimum an AA with experience just to help out. I just want to leave the country and do something good, I don't want to make a career out of it.

Anybody know of any programs like the Peace Corps. that leave the country and help out but you don't have to have a degree?

2. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Uhhh. One of the leaders in our school Eco Club was telling me about it.

Like, you volunteer, and they pay for your travel/board, and everything.

Yeah, I don't like how the Peace Corp is so restrictive. You'd think they would want all the help they could get.

3. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

it's restrictive because they are making a significant investment in you by bringing you over.

4. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

There are a plethora of international volunteer programs, as well as Americorps, and opportunities in teaching english abroad.

5. pushit

I asked a recruiter from Peace Corps and he referred me to to Americorps but their site is so confusing. I guess I should start with their "about" section to see whats up. But I don't know hoe to teach and all that. I was more looking into environmental things like forestry and animal health.

6. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Right. Well you learn along the way. It doesnt hurt to call organizations either and ask questions if you are confused. I am constantly confused in life.

7. Topher D.

Topher D. Senior Member

If you have real life experience with any skilled labor job im fairly sure they will accept you. i talked to someone who said i could get in with being an electrician.

8. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Not to mention, just getting a two year degree first would be a fantastic thing anyway. And you could get it in anything you love.

9. pushit

Aren't we all. The thing about americorps is isn't it just in America? I really want to see the world without waiting until I'm old or joining the military. Plus you get good karma points for helping others. I just want to go somewhere in the Caribbean or somewhere mystic like India while I do some good. I just don't want to go to school for that when I could just go and get a degree in what I want to do for the rest of my life.

10. pushit

Thats the problem! I have no skills, I'm a highschool drop out that just parties and slacks off. I don't know how to do a damn thing.

11. Topher D.

Topher D. Senior Member

damn dude, atleast get your GED...

maybe you could look for other volunteer abroad organizations.

whats that one... woff? idk, something like that. helping out on organic farms... i think you have to pay for travel, but room and board is exchanged for help on the farm.

12. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

It depends on what you can do and where you want to go.

If you want to make a difference, you don't need the Peace Corps.

13. pushit

I got my GED first thing, but I still dropped out.

14. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

Wait a sec. You don't have a GED?

Get it.

Stay in school, don't do drugs.

Edit: Never mind you have the GED.

You can use drugs now.

15. Topher D.

Topher D. Senior Member

okay, so you have something equivilent to a diploma..

maybe getting an associates in something like horticulture wouldnt be such a bad idea. if you want to leave the country with the peace corps, id get a degree in something related to what you would be doing over in another country.

or you can always get some certificate training.

16. pushit

The thing is, I want to be a writer. A journalist would be super cherry but I am not willing to move to New York to work for High Times and I don't know how much of a willing I could make doing freelance.

If I was to do something else, which I'm sure I will, I think it would have be something I like but other then writing I don't know what it would be.

17. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

You should go to school for writing then. Seriously. Master your craft. I mean to get much done in this world, you need papers first.

18. pushit

Well I signed up last year and got accepted to community college but I can't afford anything, books, computer, motivation, all that shit. Financial aid only goes so far. We'll see what I do. I might go through it all or I might job hop until I die.

19. daisymae

daisymae I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy

Sounds like you give up a lot. Not the kind of person they would want in the peace corps.

How about trying to straighten yourself out for a couple of years before making that kind of commitment? If your age is really 17, you've got time.

20. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

lol. and THIS is why they don't need just any joe blow off the street. loads of people want to do that.