Greenland is Melting

Discussion in 'The Media' started by wooleeheron, Jul 31, 2021.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

If there is going to be anything like a sure fire sign the shit is about to hit the fan, this is it. Greenland alone contains enough ice to raise the oceans 20 feet, while an iceberg in Antarctica the size of England looks prepared to break off. We all knew this was coming, but now is the time to start thinking about building that self-contained bomb shelter you always wanted. This is an old video, and scientists are now warning that its melting like crazy, under the worst heat wave ever.

Ajay0, DrRainbow and Joshua Van like this.
  2. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

Lol, a floating bomb shelter presumably. So your saying that the sea will rise roughly 7 metres if the ice in Greenland melts. That's total rubbish. It wouldn't even be 10cm.

DrRainbow likes this.
  3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

..... and your evidence for this is ???

DrRainbow likes this.
  4. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

It would take 2,527,000,000,000 m3 ish volume of water to raise it 7m.

DrRainbow likes this.
  5. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

Ice in Antarctica or anywhere for that matter won't effect sea levels if melted.

DrRainbow likes this.
  6. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

It's only ice on land that will cause it. But it's so easy to solve. It's water. H2O. Renewable energy source.

DrRainbow likes this.
  7. wooleeheron

Sea levels are already rising, and the only question is how far you live from shore. Around the world people are raising their houses off the ground, and I'm sure they find your opinions entertaining.

DrRainbow and Joshua Van like this.
  8. wrat1

wrat1 Members

its about time ice is too cold anyway

Standard husband unit likes this.
  9. wooleeheron

There's evidence of a previous ice age being created by an enormous inland lake emptying too much fresh water into the ocean all at once, and changing the ocean currents. If Greenland and the rest of world continue to melt at this rate, it is very possible the ocean currents could change and begin a new ice age. Already some are suggesting the currents may be changing, and there's just no way to predict exactly what comes next.

10. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

It is so fuckin' hot here that the screen on my phone fell off. The glue melted.

Been running our AC all day lately. A few years back we never even had an AC, never needed it. BC is on fire like never before. We got more problems than just water from Greenland folks!

Joshua Van likes this.
  11. Varmint

Varmint Member

I think a good place to start looking for answers would be that South Atlantic Anomaly off the coast of Brazil. It's been growing visibly for the last 20 years or so and I've been wondering what effect it will have on weather in the short and long term. The problem here is that modern science has very little to work with in spite of the current geological record. I think their biggest problem is their own refusal to accept what data actually tells them without the need to alter the results to fit their predetermined narrative.

12. wooleeheron

You have no clue. The hippies started the counterculture movement back in the 60s, and interest in the environment grew out of that, and was immediately suppressed by the mainstream, governments, and corporations. Today, the truth is starting to come out, and its so bad that nobody is talking about it anymore. Just the sheer amount of plastic waste in the environment is now estimated to kill the entire planet within decades. All the chemicals and whatnot, are too much to even dwell upon, but all the numbers indicate humanity may be lucky to survive long enough to die from global warming.

Joshua Van likes this.
  13. Varmint

Varmint Member

Well, lemme see here....
    There have been so many more that I've thankfully forgotten all their names and baseless failed predictions, but do go on with your own beliefs.

Al Gore and his idiotic tome. None of which has come to pass in the predicted time frame.
    As for the floating plastic...while sad, I don't see anything stopping it. The problem is that those dumping such things think what they're doing is insignificant, which might be true if it was only one person. Kinda' like the idiot pissing in the stream with no thought about who or what might be swimming or drinking downstream. If any one image represents all that is wrong with pollution and world-wide stewardship, this would be it.

Fukishima is still leaking into the Pacific, and the currents are still bringing it up along the Bering Sea and down the west coast of North America. Share the misery, I guess. I wonder how far THAT will go. But those responsible aren't doing anything to stop, much less undo that. For all the harping I still see no rational cure and, for that reason alone, I remain skeptical. Kinda' like the idea of wind & solar power helping to clean up the environment. Bull. Electric cars run on coal-fired electricity. The only thing being cleaned up is your bank account trying to pay for all that crap via the taxes that subsidize it. Try cleaning up the mess created by mining all those rare-earth metals used in modern "green" technologies.

MartNorth likes this.
  14. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

So then your idea is we all just do like the older generations did throw up our hands say fuck it. And leave our mess for the next generations to deal with. So how has that worked out for the younger generations alive today. Who have a hard time getting a living wage. Most will never be able to afford buying a home like our parents and grand parents could.

15. wooleeheron

It required a lifetime of research, and a decade of collating all the data, but I found the cure, which is automating Three Stooges slapstick. Sounds easy? Think again, this is Three Stooges slapstick that expresses quantum mechanics and fuzzy logic, using linguistic analysis that is anathema in the "hallowed halls" which avoid quantifying Three Stooges slapstick whenever possible.

16. Varmint

Varmint Member

Well, alrighty then....

17. Varmint

Varmint Member

Never said that. However, I must ask that, if you don't like what the politicians are doing, why would you keep voting them into office?
    I've often wondered why people even vote for democrats OR democracy, since neither is justified or authorized by our constitution or the bible. I've also wondered the same thing about today's so-called "republican" party. Nope. Our constitution doesn't authorize ANY political parties, and more than one framer of that work expressed growing concern that our political system could be infiltrated and ruled by such factions or parties. Their forethought was astonishing.

I tend to think that parties, like politicians, INVENT and/or create our problems so they can have and retain power and wealth, profiting off us in the meantime. I have no faith in such a system desiring to fix what's wrong while they're quite so content to profit from it all. You are free to think what you want. I'll do my own part here to make my footprint small.

18. wooleeheron

It requires throwing academia's crap right back in their faces, as hard as you can, while they rant and rave that their students are destroying the planet.

19. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

Greenland isn't melting. The ice on and around Greenland is melting, and Greenland is becoming...well...Green.

Greenland is the least densely populated territory in the world. An autonomous region of the Kingdom of Denmark, Greenland's population density is less than that of any independent nation on Earth.

With the melting of Greenland's ice and the warming causing it, conditions for agriculture and to support a larger human population there are certain to continue to be more favorable.

If you are thinking of buying farmland that will be more productive in the future than it is now, think Canada, Russia, or Greenland, not Australia. The outlook for Greenland is actually quite good.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Standard husband unit likes this.
  20. wooleeheron

Greenland is the largest fucking volcano on earth. The pacific "Ring of Fire" has had increased vulcanism over the last half century, with more severe earthquakes as the glaciers have melted, releasing pressure off the ground. Chile had a 10.00 earthquake, because the scale doesn't go higher. Not only does Greenland melting mean changing ocean currents and rising sea levels, but it means the shit is about to hit the fan hard!