Gravity Bong, Risk? Health Issue? Read further..

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by BigBong, Jan 9, 2005.

1. BigBong

BigBong Member

As many will know.. I have been around these forums for years, but over the past months I have barely been active. Now to the topic..

I am heavy smoker.. I like to smoke out of glass water bongs and gravity bongs to conserve weed and to get that great high those methods bring.

However, once I broke my 18inch baby water bong, i had to switch to a cheaper method, the Gravity Bong.. I have been using these for years, but not on a daily routine, till now (3-5 times a day, and all my friends do the same) So with out saying.. The bottle gets all brown, resin, like.. The water needs to be changed more often then I actually do it because I am lazy pothead..

Anyways, back to my topic.. I have noticed that my Gravity Bong has potentially been giving me some sort of bacterial infection around my lips.. (kinda like cold sores) Yeah yeah, i know some people are probally thinking HERPES! But no, its simply from the old gravity bong bottle and i guess the water that does not get changed as often as it should..

Anyway, the whole point of this topic is to inform or perhaps enlighten others that thier Gravity Bong or any bong for that matter, could be the root of thier health problems..

Think about it.. The water festers, gets stagnate in the bucket.. Water born diseases begun to grow (shit, one time I noticed I had little baby mesquitos swimming in my bucket) Your inhaling or even worse getting that water in your mouth.. No telling what kinda of infections could potentially hurt your health..

So.. I am on day 2 of not using my GB.. Looking to buy a new water bong shortly.. For now I am using the spoon..

What your thoughts on the subject?? Had a similar expeirence? Or just completely disagree?

Take care,
    Big Bong

2. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

damn dude...

i have no expiriences to share b/c ive never used a GB but for my bongs (homemade and bought) i change the water very often (maybe after 2 smoke outs) just because the fresh water makes the smoke taste cleaner. but your right dude cleaning our smoking devices is very important so none of us get sick.

3. Agent_Orange83

Agent_Orange83 Member

Yup, my friend had a gravity bong made out of a tub sitting outside for a while, and on graduation night a whole bunch of us hit out of it and the next day almost all of us felt sick in our lungs, we concluded that is was the g-bong.

4. WeeDMaN

WeeDMaN a pothead

not to mention the constant coughing after takin a huge hit... My lungs are sore from smoking alot of weed. Like lots everyday, soon I think Ill go on a small break to recover a bit. And lose tolerence.(its really starting to piss me off)

5. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

.....Now im in no place for myself to give others advice on not being lazy......But if your REALLY concerned about health problems from old stagnant water, Get up off your ass and change it. Ive done the same thing, So i know what a pain it seems to just get up and go downstairs to gt sum water from the kitchen, But that 45 second walk will make your hits taste soooo much better then old nasty rezinated water!!

6. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Gravity/bucket bongs do next to NOTHING to filter the smoke, as the water is only used as a vacuum seal, and the smoke is not actually bubbled through it, like a standard bong does.

Combine the lack of filtration with the larger smoke intake, and these things are probably among the least healthy ways to smoke...

7. Mix

Mix Member

yeah guys, gravity bongs may be good for a hit, but there are so much better ways to smoke. You guys just hit bongs? I got a bong and i love it dont get me wrong, but i would just as much enjoy a nice fat joint or blunt (and im talking about maximum herb and minimum baccy shit)
    But hey that just my oppinion :H

8. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

man, that's why you have to change the water like everyday. i can't see anything happening if you do that. baby mosquitoes? that's gross man...

9. BigBong

BigBong Member

haha.. i never justified it wasnt grose.. Atleast I have learned my lesson ;)

10. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i made one once, if i had kept using it i would have kept it indoors (no mosquitoes- caus if it was left outside for a few nights over here then it would be full of them), and whenever i use something amongst friends (caus i would never bother with it by my self) we disinfect the mouthpiece with a lighter every so often.

i found em a bit clumsy to use though