grateful dead

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by joo kyle, Apr 10, 2007.

1. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

well it finally happend. I found a dead song I like. Usally when I listen to rock on itunes radio I listen to technicolor websound but there was some horrid shit at the moment and deicded to listen to the deadhead radio and I'm really digging this tune. it's called Grateful dead~live at the filmore west 3 2 69 jam 1. So there's no name to the song just the date of it.

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah, I love alot of their early stuff... Especially 6-18-67 Monterey Pop Festival... Viola Lee Blues is pretty awesome, from that set. That's generally my standard I shoot for when I'm looking for a dead tone. Most people prefer a strat or something.. or some crazyass custom guitar and complex set up, I just seem to have good luck with a Gibson and a Fender Deluxe Reverb (even though jerry used a twin) or a Marshall, maybe a stereo envelope and a phaser, if you're lucky to hear me use any effects at all.

They have alot of depth, both to their songs and catalog... and I have to laugh at folks who judge them so quickly, because I know sooner or later something will hit them. I have to think on terms of era or date, what instruments and equipment they were using at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh2io2zCavY by the way, I found the video to that version of Viola Lee. They actually though they played horrible that night and didn't want any of it released, at the time.

3. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

well the next two songs that go played I did'nt like, especally a live version of shine your light where garcia is preaching. But then they played the version they did with dylan and it's better as a whole. Between the amount of force dylan puts behind the words to the music being played behind it.

I never judged the dead to quickley though. I tried over and over again to try to get into it.

they keep playing dylan with the dead and I'm becoming tempted to buy this album.

4. Orsino2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfGD94CchJU

Snap. I forgot to mention how much I love their later, folkier stuff, too...

This version of So Many Roads is just amazing... but you can definately see Jerry is just... near his end, man, respectively.

5. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

oh man, I have a friend who has the dylan and the dead album and he's gonna send it to me.

6. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i thought live at the filmore(cd) was 2-11-69??? and 2-12-69.

EDIT: im thinking filmore east... you said west.

7. Orsino2

Yeah, the Fillmores always mess me up... plus now there's the one in Colorado.

8. Willy_Wonka_27

yeah, fillmore is buying the TLA(theater of living arts) in philly and giving it a "makeover"

TLA is classic... don't mess with the classics!

9. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

10. Orsino2

Archive is the shit, nowadays, with the integrated player. :D It's always been the shit, but Bob weirded me out last year when he pulled their catalog... I dunno, Bobby just creeps me out sometimes.

But I can't access some of the old formats and that's always been sorta odd.

11. Willy_Wonka_27

agreed. first pulling his shows. and now he's charging ridiculous ticket prices.

12. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

i like listening to "drums" on live recordings of them. its orgasmic.

man, now i wish i had time to just sick back and listen to them for hours....
    fucking school... taking up time..

13. Willy_Wonka_27

yeah, drums>jam or vise versa always rocks! its somthing different.

14. Orsino2

Yeah, that's what I always love about the dead, allmans, etc.... Kreutzmann/Hart and Jaimoe/Butch have always been my favorite drumming duos.

Matt Abts also does a drum jam well (Gov't Mule, Dickey Betts, etc.)

Some others I've seen have done it too, but I can't remember who all... mostly just within the dead/allman community of musicians.

And about Bobby... no disrespect to his music, but I think most people I've talked to would rather see Phil & Friends with Warren Haynes or Jimmy Herring playing guitar, than seeing Bobby and Ratdog, anyday.

15. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

speaking of double drummers...why? I understand if one is playing a drum set and the other diffrent precussion instraments...but two drummers?

16. Orsino2

Well, it's because one can keep a constant beat... like Jaimoe from the Allmans is more of a Jazz drummer. He's really good with just keeping the flow going and accentuating things... and he has really good use of hi-hats, cymbals, and things. Butch usually does the straight-ahead heavy stuff, but they mix it up sometimes. Jaimoe will keep a beat going and then Butch gets up and does his thing on the concert bass and then walk back over to his drums. It's just one of those things you have to see in person.

Marc does percussion, so essentially, they have three percussionists.

17. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

I just remeber when my AP music theroy teacher went off on a tangent about it. It was so funny.

18. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

i have the dylan and the dead album its allright

my favorite dead song is Fire on the Mountain

but than again i'm huge dead fan since i was born

has anyone heard of Darkstar Orchestra the dead cover band?
    i'm going to see them this weekend along with michael franti

19. Orsino2

Yeah... seen em both. DSO is a little awkward... but still good.

Franti is... well, I really don't have to speak for Franti. Dubconscious opened for him on his last tour. You should check them out too.