Gracee No!!!! Naughtie!!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Erin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Erin

Erin Member

Im a first time mum of a 13 month old girl and she’s is at the stage where she Wants to get into everything and I find myself always yelling at her, and I hate that im always yelling at her, GRACEE NO!!!! NAUGHTIE!!

She knows what no means and what hot means she will call anything she is not allowed to touch hot. What can I do to teach her that she can look but not destroy, that the oven is hot but breakable things are just breakable not hot. And pain is sore not hot, or am I just asking to much for a 13 month old sometimes I just want to smack her and tell her no. I don’t want to be a smacker.

I am at my mums house so it is allot worse hear the house is not baby proof like my home, if I have to run into the shops without her stroller and she is to heavy to carry she just gets into everything

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

it's not fair to the baby to yell at her when it's not her fault the home isn't babyproof. Wear her in a baby sling or gate off one room and babyproof just that one room, move all breakables up out of baby's reach.

3. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

sounds like you are pretty clear about what is safe and what is not....if it's at home with your mum and she's not willing to adapt and change her environment for you then I say go for the above option of slings and such..particularly if it's a short time situation....if not the I think you probably need to do as suggested and sort out kiddie friendly spaces just in order to maintain sanity and a concept for your little one of when mum yells (or as I think sounds more likely, raises her voice in pure panic) to not do something, that it is really really life threateningly important as opposed to breaking a figurine or such...., otherwise work out what is really doing your head in and talk to your mum about just temprarily moving these things....in the supermarket use the trolley, can't think of any reason for a 13 month old to be crawling round the supermarket so I don't see that you are actually depriving them of any "learning" experiences or even experiences as such by just removing the opportunity to knock down displays or whatever it is that she's exactly doing..
    good luck and as long as it's not poisenous and is only breakable remember it is just a thing after all!
    :)

4. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

If she is trying to get something that she can't have (breakable, dangerous, etc) have some toy handy to trade her with. Say "Honey, you can't play with X because it is dangerous but here is something that you can play with!"

Kids can't understand consequences at this age. All she hears is mommy is angry. She can't figure out why.

5. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

I agree with the above posts. It is her JOB to get into things. If there is something within her reach that you don't want her to have, move it. It is really frustrating to never be able to sit down I know (((((hugs!))))). It will get better, as she gets more vocal, she will be able to understand a lot more stuff by using words. Hang in there!!! You're doing great! Set up a baby space for her and get lots of toys out. Also, let her play with some non-toy stuff, like plastic containers with lids, spoons, dish towels, empty boxes. Those are mush more interesting to a baby than toys, they might hold her attention longer!

6. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

the last suggestion about non toy stuff to play with is an awesome one!
    :)

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Yes, that's great! Also, please don't call your daughter naughtie for only doing what her instincts tell her to do...

8. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If you dont tell her its naughty how else is she going to learn not to do it? I agree it may not be the best thing to scold her out of anger, which, being a mother of a 2 year old I am guilty of, but she's not gonig to learn anything by not saying anything about it. Dont tell her that SHE is naughty, but that the action she's doing is.

9. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

that's screwy... doesn't make sense to me at all. It's not naughty. touching things, picking them up, tasting them, throwing them, are all ways babies learn about their environment. Nothing wrong with that at all. What is wrong is when adults leave breakable objects laying around where baby can get to them and break them, and then get all bent out of shape when it inevitably happens. That is why there are so many books and products out about baby-proofing your home. It is the adult's responsibility to keep the baby and their precious things safe. It's the baby's job to learn as much about everything in their world as they possibly can. Which baby is learning more? the one sitting in a playpen, watching the world go by, or the one crawling around on the floor getting into things and interacting with their environment? Baby gates, IMO, are the world's best ever invention. We only babyproofed one central room (a very large room, the den, which is basically a part of our kitchen and where we spend most of our time) then put gates up so baby couldn't go where it wasn't safe. This stage only lasts a short while, it won't be long before the child will be able to safely go anywhere without endangering himself or any precious things.

10. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes I agree it is the parents responsibility to baby-proof the home, but there will always be places (like grandparents houses or friends houses) that arent, and even though my house has always been babyproofed, my daughter has still managed to get ahold of things she shouldnt. okay, maybe "naughty" isnt the best word to use, but everytime my daughter has gotten into something she shouldn't have, even though it wasnt her fault it was there in the first place, I still showed it to her and told her not to touch, and after a little while she would find things, for example some change that somone had dropped on the floor, and handed it to me instead of putting it in her mouth or something I've seen other kids her age do. I'm not trying to say to scold your child, maybe it came out wrong, all I'm saying is you cant avoid things like non-babyproofed houses, well I guess you can, but if they can never touch things they're not supposed to, how will they learn not to? if that makes any sense.