Government halts HIV vaccine trial after shot fails to prevent infections

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Resistance isn't futile, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

Here's my problem with the concept of an HIV vaccine.

Vaccines are made using the disease-causing virus or bacteria.
    Which in a combination with adjuvants stimulate the body's immune system response.

IE: The body is "tricked" into creating its own antibodies against the infection.

Since HIV testing is done by testing for the *HIV antibody*

Then therefore by vacinating someone against HIV are they not by defacto making them HIV positive?

Say what anyone wants... I don't trust them or anyone else pushig this.
    So I'll just keep my legs closed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...trial-after-shot-fails-to-prevent-infections/

2. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I was not aware of an HIV vax. I was only aware of PEP and the recent trial-run cures.

But, theoretically, I see nothing wrong with what you describe in your post. They say that we are not infected when we kiss someone who's HIV positive. But that doesn't mean there isn't any virus in an HIV poz individual's saliva. It's just that it's not enough to infect us.

Similarly, we all have flu viruses (among with many others and bacteria) in our bodies at all times, but most of the time, not enough to have the flu.

I imagine the amount of HIV in a shot would be too small to infect someone. But that's just my layman speculation.

3. odonII

odonII O

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the NIH, has opened enrollment in HVTN 505, an exploratory HIV vaccine clinical study examining whether a two-part vaccine regimen can decrease viral load (the amount of HIV in the blood) in study participants who later become infected with HIV. Viral load is an important health indicator in people who are infected with HIV because typically those with less virus remain healthier longer. Further, HIV-infected individuals with reduced levels of virus may be less likely to transmit the virus to other people.
    Led by Scott M. Hammer, M.D., chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Columbia University in New York, HVTN 505 is being conducted by the NIAID-supported HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN). The Phase II study employs a prime-boost strategy of two investigational vaccines developed by scientists at NIAID’s Vaccine Research Center (VRC): a series of three immunizations with recombinant DNA-based vaccine (the primer vaccine) over the course of eight weeks followed by a single immunization with a recombinant vaccine (the boosting vaccine) based on a weakened adenovirus type 5 (Ad5) that carries the vaccine contents and helps stimulate the immune system. Ad5 is a common virus that normally causes colds, but the Ad5 virus used in the VRC vaccine regimen has been disabled so that it cannot cause a cold or other respiratory illness. The Ad5 vaccine in this study encodes for HIV proteins found both inside the virus and on its outer envelope.
    Neither of the two vaccines contains HIV and neither vaccine can infect study participants with the virus. Both vaccines have been found safe when tested in animals and when used in hundreds of people in earlier clinical trials.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news/newsreleases/2009/Pages/HVTN505.aspx

4. Resistance isn't futile

Perhaps I'm missing something.

The problem I'm having is that I understand that HIV tests look for the presence of the HIV antibody.

For example when we get vaccinated for measles. Our bodies create the measles antibodies because of the vaccine. Therefore if someone did a test for the presence of the measles antibodies... We would test positive.

So if you vaccinate someone for HIV..
    Their body should create the HIV antibody. Therefore they're HIV positive.

That's how vaccines work...
    Is this a new science or something?

5. odonII

odonII O

Resistance isn't futile

HIV vaccine clinical study examining whether a two-part vaccine regimen can decrease viral load (the amount of HIV in the blood)

HIV-infected individuals with reduced levels of virus may be less likely to transmit the virus to other people.

Typically those with less virus remain healthier longer.

http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.ppat.1002002

I don't think it is a vaccination against HIV per se.
    Perhaps clear your mind of a cure, or something that will eradicate HIV - vaccinate against etc.
    More - If you have HIV - lower the risk of transmission, and help you to remain healthier longer.
    That's how I understand it, anyway.

6. Resistance isn't futile

See that's what it looks like to me too. Calling it a vaccine just doesn't make sense to me. Because the very nature of how vaccination works would make everyone getting the vaccine HIV positive.

Now are they saying they've finally isolated the HIV virus and as such have a new test that can directly see the virus?

7. odonII

odonII O

No.

8. Resistance isn't futile

If I wasn't so busy studing the Quran at this time I would go to the library and start trying to research this vaccine.

Perhaps it's the language they've chosen to describe this vaccine and their procedures. But without having a common point of reference, it's hard to figure out. So I suppose it comes down to how much anyone can trust these people put in charge of our health.

No matter this is not something I should be worrying about anymore. I can only send hope and pray for those that this sort of thing might either help or harm.

9. odonII

odonII O

Resistance isn't futile

I wouldn't lay on the whole 'studying the Quran' on so thick :D You don't have to go to the library to study/research this vaccine, as it is likely there will be nothing there to study - it being fairly new, and all.

I just look it up online - easy.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news/QA/Pages/HVTN505qa2013.aspx

10. Resistance isn't futile

Sorry it's the entire relgious experience that I recently went through. It's rather occupying my life a bit at this time. Even when I'm on surfing the net because I'm looking up stuff about Islam, I just post here for a quick break. I honestly don't mean to appear fanatical to anyone.... Again my apologies.

As for the library I like to learn. And this new type of vaccine really intrigues me. If I had the time I would really like to research what it is they're trying to say and do.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its not like other viruses where the body develops an antibody and then you are done, you are immune.

HIV is a bit more complex and will mutate, and because the original antibodys themselves are complex they end up getting done over by the immune system

12. odonII

odonII O

Resistance isn't futile

It's a bit like naming dropping!

I think it is as simple as ^ - obviously the science is complicated - guess you are interested in 'how'.

13. Resistance isn't futile

Private message.

14. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

You're confusing testing for viral load vs testing for antibodies.

There are different antibodies to test for that determine whether you have an active, acute infection (which would show up as IgM antibodies) or whether or not you've encountered the virus in the past and have an immunity towards it, but not an active infection (this would show up as IgG antibodies). For example, I've been vaccinated against hep B, so when they draw a titer, I test positive for hep B IgG antibodies. But this doesn't mean the virus is active in my body, it just means the vaccine worked. If you did a viral load for hep B on me, it would be undetectable.

The vaccine would prevent HIV from proliferating enough in a persons body to be detectable on a viral load count, so while you may test positive for the antibodies to HIV, this doesn't mean it's active in your body (provided this vaccine were to theoretically work.)

15. nanettetron

nanettetron Member

If there is a HIV vaccine I think that would be great. I would take one if they are not too expansive or too many side effects. I get terrible and no healthcare
    please pray for me , Nanette Carrillo. If there really is a God that listens and helps , I would like him to do a miracle for me.

16. nanettetron

nanettetron Member

I can not believe that President Clinton, exposes himself to aides babies by holding them and
    getting close to their sweat. Can his daughter even have children? I do not think she can.
    I do not want any more Clinton's in politics.
    I think they are spoiled and have had enough.
    NO more Hillary Clinton in the Presidential Office.
    No more Chelsea Clinton politics and no more
    Clintonmania exposeing himself to the aides virus
    by holding HIV positive babies for charity by choice. Sounds smart, I do not want to do it.
    God save me and God bless the U.S.A.

17. odonII

odonII O

Are you for real? Jeez. Learn something about HIV/Aids before you comment ffs.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/HIV/Pages/Introduction.aspx

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

All vaccinnes do is help BIG PHARMA and compromise your immune system with garbage that shouldnt be there which could leave you open to OTHER THINGS later in life you otherwise might not get!!

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:2thumbsup: understatement of the year award nominee

:2thumbsup: most ludicrously uninformed statement of the year award nominee

and of course the lunatic fringe

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

omgs.. now the entire NBA is infected with it.. :leaving: