Got spare change?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Frieden, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

What does everybody do with their change? The fam is using ours to save up for a vaca, so we have a nice little pot going. However, I use to use my change to pay for small things, such as a candy bar. What do you do with your coins?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I also just use it to pay for small things in cash.

3. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

i save mine in a bowl by the front door
    and exchange it for bills +-once a year

my wife rolls her eyes/etc at me because i give away way way too much money to people
    i like to drink a lot with homeless guys in our alley

4. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I use mine to pay for stuff , lets say my taco or burger comes to $7.87 , I give them that amount .

5. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

quarters and loonies get put in a little jar for laundry money, toonies on the side table to go in my pocket when i go out, and i put pennies (which we don't get anymore because the government is phasing them out), nickels, and dimes in a big old jug to be eventually exchanged for a few bucks.

6. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I have a compartment in my wallet full of change. I never know exactly how much is in there so I forget to use it for small things instead of my card.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Makes the taco man happy as well. Most people would pay with 8 or 10 dollar so they always need change to give back.

8. acuarela

acuarela Member

I do laundry with the quarters, everything else I give to my daughter to save it or put in one of the many coin jars. I don't have any plans of what to do with it.

9. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Anything copper goes in a 5 gallon ice-cream tub. Been filling it coin-by-coin for 9 years now. This Christmas,my grand daughter gets an investment account opened in her name,using that 5 gallons of copper. NO idea how much is in there;but I now have to work the coins in rather than just slot them in [I made a small slot in the lid prior to gluing/taping it shut. CIRCULAR silver coins [as opposed to octagonal,etc] go into a Cartman moneybox.That's MINE!
    When Cartman just can NOT take one more coin,I'm going to break him open and............actually,I have NO idea. I really don't. Things I'd like v things I need...hmmm.

10. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

You do realize that pennies that have been minted for the last 20 years, roughly, are mostly made up of zinc, not copper, right?

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Lately I've been paying for every single purchase with cash instead of a debit card in order to save all my change up for extra money for when we go on vacation in September... averaging about $10 a week so it will be helpful.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I never carry cash but I steal my boyfriend's change constantly to use in the vending machines at work. He uses his change as a vice fund.

13. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I have jars at home and when they get full I cash them in except for the pennies. I have two 5 gallon water jars full and growing and when I die the kids can fight over who has to take them to the bank. The other jars will usually have around $500.00 in them whin I cash it in.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i save my pennies to put over the eyes of dead people

15. My names Cory

My names Cory Senior Member

I save all the change I get.. pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters.. and put them in a jar. I usually take it to my bank then and cash them in after a few months.

I usually end up getting over $100 after cashing in my change. Though, one time I received around $275.. Took me 6-8 months to collect all of that..I think.. haha :2thumbsup:

16. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

TUT!
    Up to 1992,a 'copper' coin was 97% copper. POST 1992,the 1p & 2p coins are USUALLY steel,with a VERY thin copper coating formed by rolling rather than plating. The exception is 1998,when both alloys were used.
    Zinc is WAY too expensive to use in 'copper' coins,so a max of 2% is used,along with various other alloys. I learned this 'really interesting' stuff by being one of several drivers who hauled stuff from/to Llantrisant mint. Until then,I'd not given coinage a thought. Finding out paper money isn't paper was a surprise,too.

BUT-as I am a bear of very little brain,as a GENERIC term,'coppers' works for me.

And anyway,if that ice-cream tub contains a fortune,I'll arm-wrestle her for it.
    She's only ten.....so I'm in with a chance!

17. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Use it to pay for stuff...
    Damn millionairies...
    :D

18. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

generally i carry it round with me, i don't have anywhaer to put it, but it falls out of my pockets in my room and on my bed all the time, and sometimes i leave it around the room in piles, so i know i can generally scrape together enough for travel money by briefly going around and getting it together if i need to get somewhere and find myself broke.

19. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I spend my coins on one thing or another. Usually another.