Googling people

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 8, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Do you Google people you know IRL -- could be a friend, family member, acquaintance, or maybe just someone you're interested in knowing more about for whatever reason. Or maybe people you don't even know (and maybe they don't even know you) personally but only know of? Do you think this is pretty common, or is it mostly a creeper thing? Do you think it's something "everyone does," or is it limited to a pretty small number of people? I admit, I pretty much Google everyone -- it's not limited only to people of the opposite sex. I find that sometimes Googling a person is really the only way you're ever going to really learn about some people (granted they have an online footprint), which is kind of sad, really, since a lot of people seem to hide who they really are in person, around others they don't feel comfortable with or know well enough (myself included... mostly because I have a tendency toward shyness and, I admit it, I'm insecure.)

I have found that Twitter and blogs are two of the best ways for stealthily learning about (ok... STALKING) a person, granted the person has one of those two things. Anyone can read them without needing to be a subscriber or member to those particular sites. It makes me wonder why anyone would want something like this online if others could possibly be finding out information they don't want them to know about. Or maybe it's just a reflection of society's penchant for voyeurism and attention whoredom, and people really like the idea that people might be reading about them -- who knows.

2. lode

lode Banned

I dunno. I'm pretty certain most employers do this nowadays.

I would say it's not necessarily a bad thing, but can easily become so. Most people judge people before meeting them far too much, and the internet has streamlined that.

3. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I had a client stiff me on some money they owed me, so I went to their office and empty, furniture, computers, everything gone!

So I googled his name and him and his partners came up on the FBI's website as arrested on Federal Fraud charges and are now looking at 20 yrs in prison.

4. Pressed_Rat

They should have used fake names.

Dumbasses.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

nah, i don't really do this,

i immediately stalk people i've just met on facebook to see who they know that i know, also, doing this is the only way i can remember their names.

but i doubt google would reveal much about most of the people i know, or, not stuff that i didn't know already.

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Just pretend your an advertiser and Facebook will sell anything you want to know about anybody who has an account, after all the content does belong to Fuckerberg.

7. i_was_in_shroom_land

i_was_in_shroom_land Shroomier than you!

i dont really google people i know.. but i do google famous people.. from my favorite movie or tv show. just to see how old they really are.. and how old they are compared to me.. lol. and where else i've seen them.. but i no.. not people i know.. not really. lol

8. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Not generally. But I've totally been creepn' on this guy at work and googled him.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I've googled prostitutes.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, it feels kinda pathetic and I also have the feeling I might get a slightly off perception of them. But mostly it feels like a waste of time, I guess I am blessed with a lack of interest in peoples digital footprints (since I consider most of them give a shaped or jaded view of the person).
    I admit it could actually be interesting to see what someone shares of themself online and what would be shared unaware and what is consciously shared to shape other peoples view of them but all in all it's hard to tell and thus just a waste of time to me.
    I of course do google actors from time to time to see in what movie I saw them before and I also have googled my own name to see what can be found of me by others.

11. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Every year or so I google my name. Apparently there are a lot of me out there mostly in Germany and California, as well as others around the US. Not a whole lot about the real me. :sunny:

I have tried to Google some of the people from my past but have not been all that successful finding most of them. Then again many of the women may be married and have different last names.

12. odonII

odonII O

They don't sell personal information.

Does Facebook sell my information?

You have control over how your information is shared. We don't share your personal information with people or services you don't want. We don't give advertisers access to your personal information. We don't sell any of your information to anyone and we never will.

Now and again. I'm generally disappointed in what I find out - which is virtually nothing. Most people with any sense have locked their Facebook account, and don't spread their email address all over the internet.

Facebook has put a few of my comments 'out there,' and my name crops up on photobucket, apart from that...not much.

I tend to look up usernames to see if they are trolls or not...usually, they are.

13. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I googled everyone of you !!

14. Asmodean

I can't be googled, which makes me think... how can you determine if someone is a troll by googling their fictional username?

15. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Location, age, username and email can be more than enough sometimes.

16. Asmodean

If they are all fake or absent that doesn't have to say anything?

17. odonII

odonII O

Well, you have been here for nearly a decade, and have lots of posts to go through. I can determine if you are based on that. You are also on my 'friends' list - so can't be. It's generally new posters I look up. Not well established posters who post more than the size of their penis or what sexual deviance they wish to peruse.

18. NightRose

NightRose idiosynractic rose

I've googled a few work colleges before. Myself as well. :rolleyes:
    It's kinda cool. :2thumbsup:

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Why did you stop there, the very next line is what you want;

https://www.************/legal/terms

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

and they do sell your info advertisers or at least use it for targeted ads;

Our goal is to deliver ads and commercial content that are valuable to our users and advertisers. In order to help us do that, you agree to the following:
    1. You can use your privacy settings to limit how your name and profile picture may be associated with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. You give us permission to use your name and profile picture in connection with that content, subject to the limits you place.
    2. We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.
    3. You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such.

and they also like to claim ownership of the advertisers content as well;

Special Provisions Applicable to Advertisers

10. We can use your ads and related content and information for marketing or promotional purposes.

I would also like to point out that the Facebook EULA was revised in Dec. 2012 and the majority of the questionable wording was changed, actually in response to lawsuits over Facebooks claim to members intellectual property.
    Prior to that it was a complete joke concerning privacy.

You also realize that Zuckerberg is very opposed to these changes and wants even more control and "rights" over posted content.
    http://www.wired.com/business/2010/04/report-facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-doesnt-believe-in-privacy/

some other stuff;

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249396/top_eula_gotchas_website_fine_print_hall_of_shame.html

http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/5-Most-Ridiculous-EULA-Clauses/ba-p/657

20. Pressed_Rat

I don't Google people I know URL. I said IRL.