Good pot smoker job

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by digitalldj, Apr 29, 2007.

1. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

this is the same advice i give to my younger siblings, younger friends, and anyone who wants money and is looking for a decent job

go work in a bar/club

anyone in the service industry already knows, but tips are where the money is at, if you can find an ideal situation working in a bar you will be making insane money

example:

I currently work at a nightclub in Downtown Vancouver, on "granville street" a street fairly infamous for clubs, drinking, trouble, but it's also the main street for nightlife downtown

Tonight was the first night it had been somewhat decent money to me, since summer is just picking up and school is finally done

I get to the bar at 10, sit around until 11

open my bar, serve till 3am

out by 4am with minimal after hours duties, cleaning up etc.

i made tonight 435$ + 8$ an hour wage

from a half ass night where i only neared breaking a sweat

this is just advice, i dont care if u dont like it, it's only my opinion

some "stoners" may have a hard time finding good money working after high school without doing back breaking labour due to lack of experiance/education

careers like this are ideal for somone not going back to school because u can save money very quickly, invest, buy a home, etc. and be set for later on when somone who had been working for a longer period of time will have built up debt

2. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

yea, i always wanted to be a bartender, with all those twisted heads, they forget the amount of money they have.

3. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

I'm a cook... and yea.. everyone in a kitchen either smokes or drinks or both... one owner i use to work for said that once.. but he was a ex-hippie.. still pretty hip though.. but dj is right... hospitality/restaurant industry is pretty lax on drug policy.. unless you get into some more uppity places.. then they might drug test you on hire.. but other than that.. i've never been piss tested or asked to take a piss test for a restaurant..

4. Obscured By Clouds

Obscured By Clouds Member

My friend is a barback, but hes 19 so thats why. He works fridays and saturday nights though so its kinda shitty, but he makes some bank working only 2 days a week and from tips.

Im doin landscaping this summe, that will be makin me bank as im only 17, goin into senior year next year. Im thinking of going to college for agricultural science and maybe start up my own business in landscaping/design/whatever.

Of course time changes everything so we'll see. But im pumped for this summer job.

5. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

I've been a bartender for the last year, am currently working in my 3rd bar as one of their top sellers. You work fucking hard and you work long hours.

And this is the fucking BEST stoner job ever. I can work for 8 hours behind that bar, stoned off my face. And I'll bring in 2 grand while I do it.

Get into hospo. The drugs are incredible.

6. HenryRoux

HenryRoux Member

Not all bartending or service industry jobs pay that well. Its cool to hear that you made that much money, but when I worked at a restaurant/bar the most any would ever get would be $200 on New Years Night. That was the big night, most every other day was around $50

But like jokerman said, everyone there either smoked or drank or both. It was a blast to work there.

7. Fallout55

Fallout55 Banned

My mom offered to pay for me to attend a 2 week course wich trains you to be a bartender, I'm stoked hopefully I can get a job this summer either as a bartender or as a barback to pull in some cash before I go to India in August.

8. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

i dont know about you guys, but in my state you cant serve alcohol if your under 21.

9. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

NJ is 18

10. bluflame

bluflame Member

^^same here:(

11. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

wrong bluflame. You can serve alochol in Colorado (and in most states) at 18. You cannot pour a drink until you are 21. There's a big difference. In Wisconsin you can pour at 18.

12. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

I would love to work at a record store. Another good one is working at an ice rink. I worked at one this past winter and didn't have to do shit. I'd have to flood the ice once every hour and a half or so and the rest of the time I either slept or smoked up.

13. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

well like i said, you need to find an ideal situation

working in a resutrant is generally bullshit tips because usually they are all pooled and u are tipped out a very very small percentage at the end of the night, because obviously a resutrant will never sell as much as a bar/club

in bars/clubs, everyone tips, even the cheapest fuckin ppl tip a buck or 2, so it's a fairly large amount by the end

and just for a comparison, on New years this year i made 860$ :D

14. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

i used to make bank managing a classy wine/scotch/cigar bar and then a white lady went and blew it all

15. guitarzan_1231

guitarzan_1231 Member

work at kfc, free muunchies blaze all teh time there, the wor is so fucking unbelivably easy. I get my shit done by 8 and have friends there to chill and blaze in the back then i goe in at quarter 10 to finish up. With the exception of tuesday and fri saturday, cant do that shit then tooo busy

16. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

making 7.50 an hour isn't going to get you any place. 7.50*40 hours a week is 300 bucks pre taxes. It is tough to secure a residence, transportation, food, utilities and then fun expenses on such a low income.

17. gaum

gaum Elephant Orgy

last summer i worked at a marina. i made 8 dollars an hour, but i got some mad tips. if you dont think you would make good money at a marina, think again. we would get big rollers in with their 100 foot yachts putting in thousands of dollars in gas into it, hundred dollar tips at a time. and this one time, this guys boat had a leak and was sinking, so we bailed it out (it was only a 15 foot boat) and the dude heard about it and told me to meet him at the surf shop and let me pick out a new skateboard. but id rather work in a hotel or bar.

18. MeowMix

MeowMix Member

thats the job I've always wanted :)

19. CK420

CK420 Member

that is an awesome jo and i want to be a bartender when im old enough
    my sis works at a bar by my house and makes preaty good money

20. Infinite Sky

Infinite Sky Member

Working for a moving company is another surprisingly good option (I used to do it in the summer). It's not at all uncommon to make $15-20/hour in cash with no tax deductions. In other words, a few 10-hour work days per week is usually enough to pay the bills, so you can just do that and take the rest of the week off to relax or whatever. Working on the clock for an agency by doing warehouse stuff or making deliveries also pays well (usually at least $12/hour) but is subject to taxes. Still, a nice fallback option if no out of town drivers are offering cash jobs.

Some other perks:

-No drug tests (unless you're a driver)
    -No concern about prior convictions
    -A million hook-ups
    -Getting paid generously to sit in traffic
    -Great way to get in shape
    -A lot of customers tip extremely well and buy lunch for the workers
    -No experience necessary
    -Laid back schedule (if you have a car and can legally drive it, you can pretty much get away with anything since most workers have had a DUI conviction or seven)

These are generalizations so there is some variation from agency to agency, but the ones I've dealt with offer just about the best mindless work there is, assuming getting your hands dirty isn't a problem.