Good or Evil

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by SvgGrdnBeauty, May 28, 2004.

1. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

So what do you all think, whether influenced by religion or not...do we all start out as good and could become evil or do we all have a little of both inside us all...

...I myself...I think we all have a little of both...its what side of yourself you let take over...you have the free will to choose what you are and how you act...

...and same you can switch sides...or you can be both at the same time...its increadably ironic...but an evil man like Hitler was in fact an animal lover...

...so what do you all think?

2. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear SvgGrdnBeauty,

I am at one with you that we are having both the qualities, good and evil.
    That is why we get so much attracted to God when we hear all good things about Him.....that He is the most compassionate,benevolent and merciful.

Sense of equality towards all beings establishes the greatness of a man. Hitler and most of us fail there. When that sense of equality comes to anybody he is said to have achieved Godly qualities.

When we see ourselves in others and others in ourselves then only we can achieve this quality. It is a very big subject that you have projected. We can slowly try to expand on this.

With love..............Kumar.

3. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

I said it before and I'll say it again Kumar...very well put :)

4. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

"Before they reach it, words turn back,
    together with the mind;
    One who knows that Bliss of Brahman,
    he is never afraid.
    He does not agonize, thinking: "Why didn't I do the right thing? Why did I do the wrong thing?" A man who knows this frees himself from these two thoughts. From these two thoughts, indeed, a man who knows this frees himself. This is the hidden teaching (upanishad)."
    ~ Taittiriya Upanishad 2.9.

Right and wrong, good and evil are relative things.

5. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Evil is a state of mind; psychologists don't even use it. Either you're sane or insane.

And Evil is a progressional thing, you have to experience bad stuff, trauma, cruelty to be evil, you're not born evil. You may be born mean, but not evil.

HOWEVER, I believe evil exists, and its up to you to deny it.

I'm not really religious, but still I believe in evil.

6. sassure

sassure Member

At birth, your yin/yang energies are in balance. As you develop in your life, you have the power to develop the one side, or the other. Hitler may have allowed his racial hatred to over-develop his dark side, and he became a monster...but he still had that light side, be it ever so small in proportion......

7. PamTSE

PamTSE Member

I agree..... however that term "Freewill" comes to mind here:)

Blessings,

Pam

8. jesuswasamonkey

jesuswasamonkey Slightly Tipsy

There is no "good" and there is no "evil". There is only ethics(intuitive, ie: murder is wrong, do unto others, don't fuck your mom) and morals(taught, ie: sex outside of marriage is wrong, everyone who isn't [insert religion of choice here] is bad and must be converted) and the lack thereof.

Everyone is born with ethics, the problems come when people hold destructive morals over ethics.

9. sassure

sassure Member

If you make the connection between Good and Creative/Healing Energy as well as between Evil and Destructive Energy, then the words begin to have meaning. Otherwise, they are pretty relative terms....

10. -Jesus-

-Jesus- Member

i like to have sex, and my father is an idiot

11. Mui

Mui Senior Member

There isn't good and evil.... they are just words for people to use when they don't approve of something... There is nothing truly evil, and nothing truly good.

12. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Everyone is capable of being as "good" as Jesus or as "evil" as Hitler.. it's all up to you..

13. thaone0715

thaone0715 Member

i think that we were oringinally born with the potential of only good, but through sinful nature messed up the pattern and now, as from the cursed evil beginning of time are more prone to temptation and and impurity of sin

14. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

As good as Jesus, the people who killed him, Hitler, and the one who used them to make a point.

15. saffronfrancisburnet

saffronfrancisburnet Member

hi there
    i believe also its in us to walk many places of darkness
    the mind can cause many problems when not listening to
    your heart

and the men who turn lets say evil...
    like hitler or bush....
    have not the sight from his heart to see
    what pattern of pain they cause when
    trying to change a system. as for these men
    we as a world have to many to name
    how the hell have we allowed these people to involve many
    in murder because of religion or colour....

maybe its time to lets say awaken the good in man kind again
    and yes we all have paths of evil its how we
    choose to live that helps us walk a path of good...

i hope we never see such wars again..and the ideas the dreams
    of change will come wisely and with understanding rather than slaughter
    and class divide.........but hay the devil can fill your head with
    thoughts before you know it..so becareful to all
    what you allow in you head for it will cause the unbalance of
    heart and mind ..which causes a war for one human
    then many more.....

love n peace from saff
    thank you this thoughtful question.....

16. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I believe we are all conceived as a clean slate, kind of like a computer with no program installed yet. Many things are input before we are born, so I guess we could be born either good or evil.
    I feel that there is good and there is evil, and that ethics can be defined by whether something harms or helps.
    Morals are cultural, changeable, and not necessarily logical.
    To me, the key is to love without expectation, and accept others beliefs as being just as valid as mine, and to accept them without requiring them to agree with me or change anything about themselves. There are a few details and exceptions to this.

17. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I would agree with you if I did not have a belief in love. To a piece of rock, what you say may apply, but in this present world, I definitely see actions that are unmistakably good and others that are clearly evil.
    The absolutes are fun to ponder, like ' I am sort of pregnant.', but nothing is impossible.

18. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW