good or bad spirits?

Discussion in 'Animism' started by kayy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. kayy

kayy Member

this my very personal theory. I beleive my self in animism , that is, i beleive i a big variety of spirits, that can inhabit/leave a body easily and usually quite often. I have been thinking about capitalism, big label like coke, etc... this have in some way made it poosible to give out a spirit, it means, that everytime you drink, consume their product, it's spirit -not only it's material content- will inhabit us for a little while.... That is why label are so powerful and expensive....

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Good and bad isn't a very animistic way of thinking.

Good and bad are very human concepts but spirit is like electricity or fire:

Is fire bad? No. Is fire good? No

Fire just is.

Blessings

Sebbi

3. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes they are "human concepts" but that doesnt mean that they dont apply to decription of spirits.

Good and bad do not apply to natural occurance, such as hurricanes, fire, etc, but it most certainly applys to spirits. Spirits are just like people, some good, some bad, some middle of the road. Some you can trust, some you cant.

Animistic cultures the world over had good and bad spirits, and demons too.

Good and bad isnt a good "wiccan" way of thinking, but it by all means an animistic one.

4. kayy

kayy Member

yeah i agree, i am not so verbal, the "good or bad" was just because i needed a title, you both seem to focus on petty things/words, what i really wanted to hade said was: capitalism (in my own view) and it's labelling is not only about materialism , it is about something higer, and that scares me when they work with this kind of beleif....

5. heron

I focused on the animistic parts of the discussion, wondering if
    capitalism has a spirit was too silly to worry with.

Spirits inhabit objects, not concepts and systems of goverment and economics.

6. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Firstly - not Wiccan - I did at one point FOUR YEARS AGO consider myself Wiccan, but things have changed since then.

Secondly - have you ever met a inherently bad person?

Probably not - you've probably met some complete tossers who have more weaknesses than strengths.

Same applies to spirits - certainly, I would think carefully before placing my trust in a spirit. None, however, are inherently bad either. That is unless you're thinking of a demon, but even then I've heard stories of demons that redeem themself.

If you look into the more precise mythology of animistic cultures you'll find it goes deeper than that.

Stories focus upon a hero, (generally), the hero has a task and anything standing in the way of that path is, for the sake of the story bad, because that way it's more easily understood. However as soon as you start to see the story from the perspective of the "villian" you see that there or no goodness or badness, just a conflict in desires.

Blessings

Sebbi

7. heron

inherently bad? no, but bad none the less.

8. heron

oh, and as to the hero/villian thing, that makes me think of the book
    "Grendal", which is written from that opposite perspective.

9. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I haven't come across that one. I'm aware of the story of the Grendal - it's a nordic story isn't it?

In regards to the book I found that in, the story next to it is one I perform so I always focused on that one.

Blessings

Sebbi

10. heron

Beowulf is the old Germanic story,
    but Grendal is a fiction book
    that someone wrote, but
    with the villian, Grendal,
    telling it from his viewpoint
    and how it was all a mistake.

11. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Haha - you have much to learn my friend.

Where do you think they got the name "Grendal" from?

12. heron

Grendal was the monster in Beowulf, like I said.

13. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

*checks if mythology is correct*

Damn it you may have a point there.

Anyway - I swear it was Nordic.

Blessings

Sebbi

14. heron

not nordic, Saxonic.

I was nordic is Eaters of the Dead, written by
    Michael Criton, based on the story of Beowulf.

The movie was called 13th Warrior.

But the original story is Beowulf, the Saxonic Epic

15. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I thought "Eaters of the Dead" was based on a Arab traveler's diary of his trip among the Vikings.

16. heron

Loosely based, it was more lik ethe Arab travelers diary
    in the structure of Beowulf.

But it wasnt actually a happening in the diary,
    more like a fictionalized event of history.

But it is the Beowulf story.

17. Zion

Zion Member

My understanding of spirits can equate quite properly to that. My understanding for what the word spirit meant when it was first said was a lingering thought, or a possible thought(mood). if your in a bad mood then your "spirit" was in bad shape. Thus being bad(evil) spirited. Or catching a bad spirit. Not some invisible energy form, in a literal sense. Its a symbol, a metaphore, so yeah if you desire coke, the desire could be a slave driver, Forcing you to need a coke. So if you cant maintain control over your thgouths, Coke could take you over, via your owne desires. or as you say thoguh spirit.

18. MrRee

MrRee Senior Member

It's a good one kayy!
    I very much like your observation and believe it to be the case also kayy. When you write words on a page, your intention is transferred into the psyche of the reader. In the same way, artists transmit their essence of meaning. It also possibly explains the reason why people buy and collect all manner of strange things ~ because they develop the need for the spirit of the thing to enter them so that something transcendentally spiritual can be felt. There are also some products that I will not buy or touch under any circumstances simply by the vibe I get from looking at them. Likewise with people.

19. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

The 13th Warrior is about Beowulf? I didnt know that ... I need to watch it, how close is it to the real story?

20. freakon

freakon Member

MrRee, exactly!
    And we think everything is "desacralized" because it is commercial or whatever.... but i KNOW how easy it is to be inhabited by unwanted spirits...