Going Veg with some trouble

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by Ziggy Azura, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Ziggy Azura

Ziggy Azura Member

I decided to give up meat but my mum said I need to make a meal plan so I dont die from malnutrition before I can become a vegetarian in her house. Help?

2. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Lol, being meat free is good for the bowels, and Boca burgers, beans, nuts, and tofu has a crap load of protiens.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

http://www.vegcooking.com/veganMenus-1.asp

lots of prepped stuff, but that is easily substituted.
    for example, I loathe tofurkey slices.
    I like baked tofu sliced for sandwiches.
    So, I'd use my own sliced baked tofu in place of a name brand deli slice.

this url had to be checked out:
    http://www.veggiemealplans.com
    here's a plan-ish post
    http://www.veggiemealplans.com/archive/33-meal-plans/1201-back-and-a-plan
    note the grocery list at the end. That might really help your mom understand what veg food is about.

to many parents, and lots of first timers, veg is about excluding. and ONLY excluding.
    by definition, that's right , buy in practice, veg is learning to try new things and explore tastes.

I like simple, and I LOVE Watercourse foods, a veg/vegan place in Denver.
    I also love soup, and think this one is awesome:

WaterCourse Foods has the most delicious tomato curry soup. Can you get the recipe? - Barbara Y.
    Daniel Landes, chef/owner of WaterCourse Foods, with three locations, is known for his wonderful vegetarian cuisine.
    When he kindly shared the recipe, I asked if the soup should be blended, but it turns out that the shredded cabbage is supposed to be like noodles, so you want that texture in the soup.
    WaterCourse Foods is at 837 E. 17th Ave., 303-832-7313. Landes also owns WaterCourse Bakery, 214 E. 13th Ave., 303-318-9843, and City, O' City, 206 E. 13th Ave., 303-831-6443.
    Tomato Coconut Curry Soup
    Serves 10 to 12
    2 cups yellow onions, diced
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup carrots, diced
    3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped (about 2 peppers, seeded and cored)
    1/2 cup fresh ginger, chopped
    1 (10-ounce) package shredded cabbage cole slaw
    Olive oil to saute vegetables
    2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
    3 tablespoons curry powder
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    * Heat a heavy soup pot with 2 to 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add first seven ingredients and saute until onion is translucent.
    * Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer.
    * Cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve.
    - From WaterCourse Foods
    Nutritional information per serving: 208 cal., 9 g fat (8 g sat), 0 mg chol., 30 g carb., 7 g pro., 8 g fiber, 1,071 mg sodium