Going to the ISKON Temple(L.A.) on Sunday

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by LAGoff, Jun 30, 2011.

1. LAGoff

LAGoff Member

I'm going to visit the ISKON(Hare Krishna) Temple in Los Angeles(Watseka and Venice) this Sunday for their weekly open-to-the-public gathering(dancing, lecture, feast).
    I went there 30 years ago.
    I wonder if anything has changed since then.
    Anything else I should be aware of?

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

well, ISKON has web sites now....

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

ISKCON may change.

Krishna, however, stays the same always.

:sunny:

4. Jagadananda

Jagadananda Member

With the disappearence of Prabhupada much has changed. I would encourage you to look up ISKCON IRM for very detailed information. Hare Krsna!

5. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

________-----------_________-----------____________------------___________
    A Dwaraka stone has more consciousness than a Hare Krishna.

6. BlackBillBlake

Stones don't generally give away vegetarian food.

7. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

From BBB...
    ISKCON may change.

Krishna, however, stays the same always.

:sunny:

When Krishna is one He stays the same, when he becomes many.....all, including ISKCON, change.

Love,

Kumar.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

From Chodpa..

A Dwaraka stone has more consciousness than a Hare Krishna.

From BBB...

A stone generally does not give away vegetarian food.

Nothing is outside His Divine Game, not even a piece of stone or a Hare Krishna. It is Lord's grace upon that Dwaraka stone and a Hare Krishna is not an outsider to receive the same when his turn comes. Comparisons are ......

And yes, well said that with all consciousness a Dwaraka stone cannot give away vegetarian food. So, again it is better that comparisons are avoided.

Love,

Kumar.

9. BlackBillBlake

You're right - Krishna is all. I sometimes feel there's hardly anything one can say.

My meaning really was that human institutions come and go - 'for two days only', but Krishna exists always.

He is in the stone, and in the heart of His devotee. He has become the stone and the devotee....nothing, as you say, is outside His game.

10. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

ISKON is not the best place to start learning about Hinduism.

1 person likes this.
  11. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

Originally posted by la principessa....

"ISKON is not the best place to start learning about Hinduism. "

Dear la principessa,

If it is not the best place, it is surely a place where you can find something good and at least a bit of Hinduism being practised. Well, acknowledge and accept that much only with all thanks and gratitude. After all, dear, ISKCON could not have come into existence without the Lord's wish and without the Lord being in it. You throw away ISKCON completely with your dislikes would only amount to throwing away the Lord that is present in every conceivable animate and inanimate object. Take whatever you think of substance and then move on to another place to your choice.

Love,

Kumar

12. la Principessa

ISKON is considered a cult by a lot of people. It has aspects of Hinduism within it but it is NOT Hinduism. You can call yourself a Vaishnav Hindu and say you focus on the Lord in his form as Krishna, but being a part of ISKON is something else entirely.

I'm not putting it down, but the tradition is essentially something that was created taking pieces from one of the oldest, previously established religion. Why not go straight to the source to learn first?

What bothers me the most is that whenever the subject of Hinduism comes up, the majority of people automatically go to "Hare Krishna" in their heads. Again, my respect or lack thereof has nothing to do with the fact that ISKON is it's own religion and should not be associated so closely with Hinduism.

13. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

Originally posted by la principessa........

"ISKON is considered a cult by a lot of people. It has aspects of Hinduism within it but it is NOT Hinduism. You can call yourself a Vaishnav Hindu and say you focus on the Lord in his form as Krishna, but being a part of ISKON is something else entirely.

I'm not putting it down, but the tradition is essentially something that was created taking pieces from one of the oldest, previously established religion. Why not go straight to the source to learn first?

What bothers me the most is that whenever the subject of Hinduism comes up, the majority of people automatically go to "Hare Krishna" in their heads. Again, my respect or lack thereof has nothing to do with the fact that ISKON is it's own religion and should not be associated so closely with Hinduism."
    ...................................................................................................

Dear,

Thanks for your post.

Let me clear first my position here. I have nothing to do with ISKCON and I am not a follower or a member. Although I am a born Hindu I try to identify myself with all religions.

All Hindus consider God is one it can have a form (Sakar) or be formless(Nirakar). They also believe in Avatars (God in human form). In the Sakar form Lord Krishna is considered to be the God himself with full authority and supreme power. Now the problem is Krishna himself did not know about any religion called Hinduism. Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed...none knew anything about the religions that followed them after their death. They never spoke about any religion, they mostly concentrated their advices on the right ways to live life and about God. So, it is we who are responsible for creating religions and for making further divisions in them.

It was Srila Vaktivedanta Prabhupad, a Vaishnavite Hindu yogi, who went to the U.S.A. and started / founded the International Society For Krisna Consciousness. Even when he was alive and very much in control and command of the Organization, things were not all right and there were enough reasons for dissatisfaction of many visitors and true seekers.

I do not know much about what is happening now, however, the point is whether they are doing good or bad, some of the devotees who are with them do not take account of all that is wrong inside as they focus more and only on the main purpose of their being there and they concentrate only on the Lord, the deity and on all about Him. They are truly sincere, full of humility, love and faith and they see all as their beloved Lord. Of course, their number is very less. My point was, when we go there we can definitely have some benefit and advancement if we are blessed enough to meet some of them.

Anyway, I very well understand your feelings, which are very similar to thousands of us, about ISKCON. But request, have some respect at least for those few ones who go there not for ISKCON but only for Krishna. Glory to those blessed ones who go there going above the assessment of the Organization.

Regarding "Hare Krishna", please do not get it wrong. Chanting Hare Krishna is the right of any human being and it is just to worship the Lord. It is not and can not be patented by any group, Hindus, Vaishnavs or ISKCON. I do often say Hare Krishna but honestly I have nothing to do with any religion.

Hope, I have been able to explain and put across my point.

Love,

Kumar.

14. la Principessa

I don't even have the patience to explain how much you missed the point of what I was sayig.

15. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

Posted by La Principessa...

"I don't even have the patience to explain how much you missed the point of what I was sayig."

Dear Principessa,

Thanks for your post.

I am sorry. I am also convinced that I missed your point. Please calm down and do not lose your patience because of me.

Love,

Kumar.

16. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

I agree that ISKCON may not be truly representative of Hindu thought. But then, that is the beauty of Hinduism. It is so spacious it accommodates such a wide variety of sharply different philosophies and conceptions of the divine.

Anyone who accepts the authority of the Hindu scriptures, and who builds their philosophy based on that, is accepted as a Hindu, even if the philosophy itself is not considered sound. Arguments among the different schools of Hindu thought abound, but none of them would ever deny their opponent a voice, nor excommunicate them from the Hindu fold.

This pluralism is how the tradition has survived since ancient history, and how it has successfully remade itself generation after generation. It is the greatest strength of Hinduism, and so, as much as I disagree with ISKCON (a lot), and as much as I think their teachings misrepresent the true thrust of Hindu thought, and as much as I feel their attitude to other philosophies and teachers is far too disrespectful, I will not deny them their place in the Hindu family.

17. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

From Bhaskar.....

"I agree that ISKCON may not be truly representative of Hindu thought. But then, that is the beauty of Hinduism. It is so spacious it accommodates such a wide variety of sharply different philosophies and conceptions of the divine.

Anyone who accepts the authority of the Hindu scriptures, and who builds their philosophy based on that, is accepted as a Hindu, even if the philosophy itself is not considered sound. Arguments among the different schools of Hindu thought abound, but none of them would ever deny their opponent a voice, nor excommunicate them from the Hindu fold.

This pluralism is how the tradition has survived since ancient history, and how it has successfully remade itself generation after generation. It is the greatest strength of Hinduism, and so, as much as I disagree with ISKCON (a lot), and as much as I think their teachings misrepresent the true thrust of Hindu thought, and as much as I feel their attitude to other philosophies and teachers is far too disrespectful, I will not deny them their place in the Hindu family. "
    .....................................................................................................

Dear Bhaskar,

So nice to see you after such a long time, welcome back.

Thanks for the wonderful post which could not be more so truly and beautifully said. I had lacked in communicating what La principessa was interested in knowing.

Hope to hear from you often.

Love and best wishes,

Kumar.

18. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Principessa there is no such thing as authoritative Hinduism. ISKCON is not more different from the rest than many of the traditions w/in "orthodox" Hinduism are from each other.

19. BlackBillBlake

Amen.

20. JayaJagannatha

JayaJagannatha Members

Hare Krishna