going to california! help me texas to cali questions.

Discussion in 'California' started by Dark Star, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

alright well im pretty fed up with my hot state and its conservative society and i want out. im planning on taking up a job this summer and next to do so and once i graduate from school this next year i plan on leaving with a van, some basic escentials, and a mattress in the back for sleeping. as well as a tent and other camping materials. anyways id just like to know how and what would be the best method to travel to california. i also hear that california is a very expensive state. is this just for houses and such or is it basically everything. because i know how in canada its like 2 dollars or such when its only 1 dollar here. is it something like that in CA. anyways any help you could give me would be great

2. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

Yeah Calli is more expensive for stuff mostly housing but ther are low rent districts ther too. I hear the wages are better over there so it evens things out a bit.I live < so I pretty good source of info but I am not 100% on it.
    Make sure when traveling here to only sleep at safe places ok, alot of people go missing this way you know safety safety safety.

P.S. can you tell i am a mom?

3. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

Arizona is pretty scenic, but if time is of little concern go through Colorado and take I-70 west through the mountains. You may not even go all the way to Cali. Go to Nederland, Boulder, Lyons, Estes Park, and some mountain towns -- they're hippie-friendly and really cool.

(yes, this is a shameless plug for CO tourism, the state needs money)

4. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

i recomend steamboat colorado too. while your in cali check out arcata, garberville, clambeach, ect. stay north in cali. you should check out oregon when yer out there. i recomend ashland, cave junction, and portland if ya dig cities. lovin you'.

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

5. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

im acually planning on finding a place to settle there close or in the area of hippie culture. now i heard that the place where the rainbow gathering is being held in Weed and its supposebly a very nice place. but someone could have just been pulling my leg. i dunno. i just want to find a place where i can be accepted and loved ya know

6. lilfriendlysocal

lilfriendlysocal Guest

I did nearly the same thing with my Honda from South Carolina a few years ago.

California is mad expensive, but it's awesome, there's a feeling on the west coast that is beyond words, it's spiritual, there are several geographical spiritual epicenters in California. Everyone goes there to be "oneself," and it's a beautiful cultrue. California is full of seekers and adventurers.

I've camped in Weed on many occasions and i never really saw many if any hippies there. If you are looking for a laid back kind place, go further west to Arcata in Humboldt County. That's the kindest place I found in California. I would recommend if you are looking for the hippies, look in Oregon too.

Since I've gone down that road, I would recommend having at least a grand saved up, head for the Oregon Country Fair, July 9 - 7 days later, make friends there and go from there. The Oregon Country Fair is the largest hippy arts fair in all of the world, I think it's in Eugene, which is a kick ass hippy culture town.
    Lots of hippies in Oregon and the whole northwest. Washington, there's a cool little hippie towns on the Olympic pennsula there, I had a friend who went to boat making school there. Montana (Missoula, Bozeman and maybe Kallispell.)
    Missoula was ranked #1 small hippy city in the U.S. by like Hightimes or something.

I lived it up in California, all over, homeless on the Central Coast beaches, northern Cali, hostels, campsites, gatherings, beaches, mountains, parks, 2 years in Hermosa Beach (southwest LA county). Now I'm paying for it living in Montana. Rent in Hermosa for the cheapest one bedroom rat hole apartment on Pacific Coast highway, $900 a month, it's so cheap, it's nearly unheard of and very rare to come across a place that cheap. In Montana I have a spacious 2 bedroom place up on a windy prairie for $200 a month. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

"Folks back east,
    They say,
    leavin home everyday,
    beating their ole hot dusty way out to the California line,
    through the desert sands they roll,
    trying to get out of that ole dust bowl,
    looking for a sugar bowl,
    But this is what they find,
    The police at the port of entry say,
    you're number 14,000 for today,
    and if you aint got the doe ray me, Baby,
    if you aint got the doe ray me,
    you better go back to your beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.

California is the garden of edan,
    paradise to live in or to see,
    but believe it or not,
    you wont find it so hot,
    if you aint got the doe ray me.

Maybe you want a house or farm,
    wont do no body no harm,
    take your vacations by the mountains or the sea,
    don't sale that old cow far car, you might wanna to say right where you are,
    take a little advice from me,
    cause I read the want ads everyday,
    and the voices in the paper always say,
    if you aint got the doe ray me, boy,
    if you aint got the doe ray me,
    better go back to your beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.

It's a long, long way to run,
    it's a long, long way to run to California,
    it's a long long way to run from Oklahoma.
    It's a long, long way to run.
    It's a long, long way to California."

Ani Difranco covering Woody Gutherie's "Doe Ray Me."

7. Harvest

Harvest Member

Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive, however if you look around you can find good deals on housing.I'm in chula vista, just south of sandiego and my roommate just found a new place renting a room from somebody in a nice house with a pool for $200 a month. Hard to find but it can be done. I've seen a lot of people rent rooms around here from $300-500 a month. If I were you, I'd check out craigslist.org in whatever area you're going to be looking in~great place to find rooms for rent. Arcata is beautiful~I'd love to move there, but I'm going to be buying a house soon and it's a little too expensive for me to purchase there. Good luck on your move!

8. LivingLegends

LivingLegends Senior Member

i moved from cali to texas (tomball, right near houston i think?) when i was like 5 then i moved back to cali in 2nd grade. u can ask me stuff if u want

9. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

hows the weather in CA. its to my understanding its perfection hahaha. im so tired of being in heat every day of the year over here. and how expensive is the gas in CA. in texas its at 1.89 a gallon for reg. unleaded. also are there any laws that are different than texas. im sure you have to have auto insurance over there too correct. id just like to know everything about everything. thanks

10. Rockstock2004

Rockstock2004 Member

Brother , or Sister, , whatever gender you may be, California is great. I live in a City Called Ontario, in Southern California. You asked about weather. Well Southern California weather is 100+ starting in Mid June, and lasting till about Early September. From November to March is when winter storms come in, and hit us. Northern California is much the same, except more rain, less sun. Gas prices in California right now for regular are $2.30/gallon, so i'd rather pay your prices. spots in California have up to $2.50/gallon for regular. Overall, California is an awesome place. Ill miss it when i move. Im moving to Central Florida near the end of summer most likely.

The California Weather Saying is.........

"If you don't like the climate where you are living, you can just move a few miles down the road to another climate."

Means that California climate varies in location in a small distance. from fog, to clear skies, from beach breezes, to dry desert air, to mountain snow, its everyone, and such a short distance.

11. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

cuz honestly. i want to be able to walk outside and have a cool breeze with no humidity everyday of the year as well as winter. i hate heat. i hate it! hate it hate it hate it! plus ive been growing out my hair for about 2 years no and its really thick...which makes me sweat 24-7 every day of a texas year. it sucks. i want cool breezes and snow! snow i tell you! ahhhh i havent seen snow since i was 12 and that was on a trip to washington dc. btw im a guy

12. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

If you don't want humidity, you'll love southern California. San Francisco (where I'm moving in August, btw) on up does get alot of rain. San Francisco's the best place if you ask me, but it does get alot of fog. Elswhere in the Bay Area it's not so bad, but Cali's so big and diverse you're sure to find someplace. My grandma lives in Humboldt county, so I can tell you anything about that place. Personally, I would stay away from Los Angeles--it's a polluted bung hole filled with bitchy plastic people. But that's just my opinion. If you're looking for the "golden fields" type of land, try just north of San Fran. Right after you pass the golden gate bridge it's nothing but golden hills until you reach the mountains in the north.

-Kate

13. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

that sounds so beautiful. i wish the gas prices werent so expensive. plus i want to get a larger vehicle so i can live in the back of it and wouldnt have to worry about housing and such. but newer vans get somewhat poor gas milege. i know that the hondas and the new toyotas get very good gas milege like 30 somthing to the gallon but they are so tiny. i once drove with my mother and sister to florida in a 99 honda civic coupe and boy oh BOY was it cramped and very clousterphobic! agh! but anyways id LOVE to drive my upcoming new 70 sumthing vw bus down there but its not the most reliable vehicle to do so as well as the gas milege beeing poor as well. anyways. i plan on bringing a tent so i can camp in nice grounds and such to keep things interesting with my sleeping habits hahah. anyways. any vehicle,bus,trailer ideas?

14. lilfriendlysocal

lilfriendlysocal Guest

The Beach in Southern Cali is the way to go. The sun is always warm and the breeze from the ocean is always cool. I think of the 2 years I lived in Hermosa Beach, there were maybe 2 weeks that got 90 or above. Usually it was 70-80 most of the year with an on shore breeze in the day. In the winter it's the rainy season and the fog tends to hang around more. I loved the beach weather, it was awesome everyday. It doesn't rain much but when it does, stay inside because it's nasty. When it doesnt rain for 9 months in such a populated place the grime builds up and when it rains the streets and beach came become toxic. After the rain there is red tide, not safe for swimming. The micro organisms inthe water feed on the toxic wash off, breed rapidly and at night in a dark place you can watch the waves glow red when they crash. I spent nearly every sunset on the beach when I was there. I would walk out of my door and say aloud with a life styles of the rich and famous accent, "Another beautiful day in Hermosa Beach, California." In California there is everything you want, anytime, and nothing you need.