Going on an adventure.

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Orsino2, May 17, 2007.

1. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Mathews - Old House Woods - These stories have been passed down for a good 200 years. These instances have been recognized as the most bizarre psychic phenomena ever recorded. Anywhere from swash buckling pirates burring stolen gold; A ghost ship hovering over the woods; British soldiers hiding colonial treasure during the revolutionary war; A full Spanish galleon which vanishes in thin air; Skeletons in knight’s armor wielding threatening swords; Mysterious groups of shovelers digging furiously late at night; to ghost horses and cows appearing and disappearing before your eyes. All of these and more have been seen at different times of the year. There has also been a rumor going around of a witch that lets off a green light flying through the trees. - February 2004 addition: 4 Eye-witnesses have vowed never to return to this area of land. The woods got their name from an old house that was in the center of them. The story behind the house is unknow at this time. The house caught on fire and then put its self out. Then a few years later it caught fire again and burned to the foundation. There is one spirit that comes up out of the water and walks along the beach towards the road. At first glance it is a rather grey glowing figure dressed in worn pirate style clothing if you are able to catch the face it is that of a skeleton. The Spanish Galleon that comes in from the water hovering over the beach and then above the woods. If you are on the beach and face the woods you can see the grove in the tree line as to where the ship docks. You can watch the ship hover there above the trees and watch as figures of men get off the ship. The whole wooded area lights up and you can hear digging and clanking of shovels.. There are 2 black headless dogs that will come out of the woods and chase you. As well as jump onto your vehicle or in the bed of your truck. The green light is truly astonishing. It is more like a ball of light. That is so intense it lights up everything it flashes 3 times for brief periods of time. but doesn't distort your night vision when it passes.. Usually when you see that light it is time to go. You have worn out your welcome on the beach. If you remain things will start to attack your vehicle. There are also accounts of people vanishing in those woods. They say that if you get too close to the treasure you never return. Various people over the years have gone in searching and never made it back.

I'm going for a hike... Matthews is the adjacent county, East of here.

I'd always read about those woods in local books but I've never hiked through there... So I'm bringing cameras and whatnot.

http://ghosts.meetup.com/451/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=2627215

I feel like being outside today... though I'd rather be working. I have no work to do till next week.

[​IMG]

Ectoplasms eating a Dodge Durango?

There isn't a great deal in Matthews County now except woods. Or, at least, that's how it appears when you're driving through there. It's hard to imagine it as the bustling port it was during the pre- Revolutionary, Revolutionary and Civil War eras. According to locals, you don't have to use much imagination to catch glimpses of Matthews County history. The ghosts and other strange apparitions take care of that. It is more reportedly haunted than anywhere else in Virginia I've heard of, with the exception, perhaps, of Beaver Dam Creek Battlefield.

Tales of buried treasure and sights of the wood ablaze with lanterns of diggers abound. It is said that it's the ghost of a band of pirates who landed here. According to the legend, they buried their treasure in the woods and set out to acquire more. They were killed in a storm before they could ever retrieve it. Perhaps theirs is the phantom ship reputedly seen both in the woods and in nearby White's Creek.

Another story possible source for the diggers with lanterns is one that takes place after the Battle of Worcester in 1651. At this time, Charles II of England was going to move Virginia. He sent chests of money to Jamestown in preparation.

Instead of reaching their destination, however, the crew & money ended up at White's Creek near Old House Woods. The men were attacked by robbers while unloading the chests. These got away with some of the treasure and buried the remainder of it in the woods. They planned to return for it, but their ship capsized in a storm.

Some have seen a woman with long, flowing hair rising over the trees when a storm is coming. Others claim an army of British soldiers, killed long ago by American Calvary, still march through there. Perhaps the eeriest story is of a man whose car broke down on the road that goes through the woods. As he walked in search of help, he encountered a man in Spanish armour. The driver claims the man raised his sword upon seeing him, asking, 'Is this the King's highway? I've lost my ship.'

2. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

And what exactly are Echo Plasms?

3. Orsino2

4. wave owls not flags

wave owls not flags is not interested

echo plasm:D awww that's cute

5. Orsino2

That day, my friend's car ran off into this marshy area and we couldn't get it unstuck... :eek: It got jerked off the road, she said, but I don't know what to think of it. I kinda get chills now when I think about it.

We called some people and we all eventually pushed/towed it out, but it was some pretty weird shit. It got foggy around the creek area as soon as we got near it :confused:... but it wasn't like it was ectoplasmic or anything. I don't know, sometimes. I was a bit too frantic to even get the 35mm out of my trunk.

To be honest, I'm not always sure if I believe in the sort of thing, but I've seen some pretty weird shit with all the history around here... I just never know what to think of it.

6. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

Yay. Well, "Echo Plasm" is what he originally had on there, then he edited it. In any case, I like "echo plasms" better. Sounds more far out than "ectoplasm". I think I'll rechristen it to "echo plasms" in my own honour, lol. :)