Gods of Today

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Chodpa, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Chodpa

Chodpa -=Chop_Chop=-

Yesterday's Gods and Goddesses are primarily invisible now, except where they are idolized. Yet today we think of some apparent and ubiquitous objects as higher powers, for instance the internet. A few generations already will live their entire lives with the net as a resource. I wonder if Hermes or Thoth use something like the internet up there wherever they are? However, down here imagination is becoming very facile. We are able to create almost as fast as thought. With smartphones you can change blueprints, and power up the factory. Facility. Isn't that why we want deities? To make things easier? What are some of the more common household devas now?

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

A fundamentalist would google it.

3. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

we want gods because they help explain the unexplained. as we grow as a species and discover the mysteries of our planet (why the sun rises and sets, what rain is, what gravity is, what sickness and disease is, what germs are, etc.) we don't need any invisible friends to make us feel better.

4. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I love science, I fully support the growth of science....
    AND
    I acknowledge that there's still much we don't know yet.... we don't have it figured out yet.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There has been a twist in the Western mythos of supernatural beings in the past couple centuries. As where prior to the enlightenment, mythic beings often represented the saviors and destroyers of mankind due to their own accord, now supernatural beings are mostly bound by their circumstance relative to their relationship with humans.

Where as Hades or The Devil seek to punish humans to boast their own supremacy, Frankenstien's monster and The Terminator seek to harm humans due to human creativity gone astray.

The new mediums of movies, comic books and video games often represent supernatural beings differently than the supernatural beings of the past, most notably there is a separation between them and overt religious understanding. However, many of these beings still are tied to concepts of morality and 'ways' that could be argued as parallel to spiritual concepts, such as Yoda teaching 'the Force' in Star Wars, Neo honing skills to become 'The One' in The Matrix.

So the supernatural beings found throughout these mediums are the equivalent versions of many of the gods and goddessess of myth in the past. Due to the ability of many more people being able to perpetuate modern day supernatural beings and myth, the idolization factor of them has dwindled, however clearly many people do still get quite fanatical about certain modern day supernatural beings.

6. The fact that there are 'yesterday' gods and 'modern' gods should tell religious people something.

7. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Humans love a good metaphor.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment

Wouldn't the modern God for most people be money?

9. At least those gods exist.

10. I'm muslim.

Let's just say that I'm not a fan of the today's *idols*

11. What does you being Muslim has to do with anything?

12. You said "those *gods*" are real and implied that there was no such thing as God

13. Show me a god and I will believe there is one. In the meanwhile I will show you Google.

14. Good is not something you can experiment on or ring up on the telephone.

In order for God to be God...
    God has to be something that is so beyond our comprhension that it can only be seen from within.

If God could be found any other way then regardless of how awsome and powerful.. It wouldn't be God. In other words God is absolute and anything less is not God.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

As I pass through my incarnations in every age and race,
    I make my proper prostrations to the Gods of the Market Place.
    Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.

16. Chodpa

Chodpa -=Chop_Chop=-

How the fuck did you wanderinto my thread? You're not Muslim, you're just a poseur without any real identity.

17. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

And what exactly do you gain by insulting and belittling another?

So much anger on this forum lately :(

18. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

barely. since about a week ago. Go back and actually understand what you're doing and what Islam is instead of trying something "nonconformist". there's a reason people pick on you, there's a reason nobody takes you seriously. Look in a mirror and be willing to take criticism and understand you and we are still young.

19. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Well, fucking is one avenue toward our appearances.