god wasnt fair in kicking adam and eve out of eden

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by juggla, Jan 25, 2005.

1. juggla

juggla Member

The test in the Garden of Eden myth, was not a fair test considering it requires the knowledge of good and evil to not do something evil, yet this is what eating the fruit was supposed to give to the couple.

(Gen 2:25 NRSV) And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed.

(After eating the forbidden fruit)

(Gen 3:10-11 NRSV) (Adam) He said, "I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself."

(God) "Who told you that you were naked?

Not knowing good from evil (Gen 3:5), they did something evil so God punished them...

2. dutch_diciple

dutch_diciple Member

they didn't know good from evil. So they also had a clear conscience. They didn't now good from evil, but there was one thing, only one thing, that they did know: don't touch the fruits on the tree.

3. juggla

juggla Member

^even so if they didnt know good or evil it can be assumed they didnt know right from wrong, then they couldnt have known disobeying god was wrong.

4. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Why does God have to be fair? That is a human judgement call, and may not apply to deities. Was it fair for John the Baptist to get his head chopped off?
    Or for Able to be killed by Cain?
    The bible is full of unfair things.

5. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I'll tell you what my father used to tell me:

"Fair!? Life ain't fair, honey!"

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Actually, you could argue that God was more than fair, because He originally told Adam he would die on the day he ate the forbidden fruit. Instead, he only gets banished from the garden of eden, and eventually, Christ dies in his place.

7. juggla

juggla Member

genesis 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

according to that passage man gained gods knowledge of good and evil, and fairness is directly linked to goodness, so man and god have the same judgement on what is fair.

8. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

i like to view the garden of eden as a lovely playground.. god is the caregiver who watches after his children (adam and eve) he tells them not to play on one swing, but all others are open to them. if they are obedient they will live happily ever after, ignorant and blissful for ever and ever... but they were told by somebody else that that swing was fine and that they should play on it anyway... so they thought, "hey, what if this new kid is right?..." so they try it out and get punished for it.

it's not really fair, in my opinion, but no creation myths are. i mean... there has to be an explanation as to why evil exists right?... why are we in this shit hole? because we fucked up in the very beginning and there was only way to redeem ourselves, by believing in jesus christ... god sent him down so that we wouldn't be damned for all eternity, but only for our brief existance on earth.. hehe, wow i'm kinda cynical sometimes... i think life isn't so bad here on earth and honestly, could we ever appreciate the beauty of the garden of eden or heaven, or whatever, if we didn't know the hell that can be seen here on earth? (taoism, balance.. "evil" balances "good") everything seems to work out in the end i think...

oh blah, i don't know anything, so don't listen to me :p

9. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

To say the had no knowledge of good and evil means simply that they humbly trusted in God's generous provision for all their needs. In other words, God was all they knew. Seeking to define good and evil on their own terms was essentially a "declaration of independence" from their Creator.

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

If he created them why didn't he make them obedient?

11. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

it's so weird that god seemed to want us to be obediant, trusting dependant children... and yet we see maturity as being achieved only through declaring our independence.

i think it was missfontella who said in another thread that there is no real feeling of pure joy after you grow up... then again, do robots feel?... if we were made obediant we probably would be similar to programmed robots... it's all so confusing. i can learn the bible inside and out and still not understand.

12. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

If their obedience were programmed instead of chosen, it would be meaningless.

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

That just means god lied to them, as well as unfairly testing them. Just as the serpent told Eve, if she eats it, she won't die...she'll become like the gods.

The point is, how could Adam or Eve have known it would be wrong to disobey God until they had disobeyed and eaten the fruit (and thereby gaining knowledge of good and evil)?

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I see what you are getting at. The point is I think, that all they were supposed to do was to obey God's order - not that they needed to have a sense of right and wrong to do so. At least thats the orthodox view.

But the story is a myth, and there are different versions and interpretations.