god, i'm so frustrated

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by HippieAdrien, May 2, 2007.

1. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

so here's the deal. i get my dreads done. they get fragile and half of them come out completely. so i start over with backcombing and i put band around the roots and tips to keep them from falling apart like they did last time. it kinda worked. as some are getting tighter, they are only getting tighter at the tips and now are just completely loose hair at the roots. and others have just turned into loose hair completely. so long story short, i need help. the lady who originally did my dreads said i have great hair for it. but so far, nothing has worked. maybe i'm just being too impatient. but they are seriously falling out and not working. any advice?

2. egle

egle Member

Keep going, mine are doing that,, some hair came out at parts, then went lose and i cant dread that any more, so im letting it grow and catch up with my dreads and see if it naturaly dreads or if in a few months il have to back comb it. Some of roots are dreaded and not the tips some of my tips are but the roots arnt, I supose you got leave it and let time do its work, they will dread but if its falling out to much let it dread naturaly, but stop them going into each other to much

btw im quite new to dreads, these being my first 1s, so i dono if this advise is perfect and problerly some1 might post here saying "but this is better" but that seems t be working on mine

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

adrien , didnt you just have them done for you like a couple weeks ago.... and used wax n been trying to get that out desperately since you had them done?????....how can you not have issues with them at this stage.... they are kinda a pain for the first few months anyway without all the issues you have had with them...Dreads are not like goin n gettin yer hair colored n automatic ... they take time no matter how you do them.... they are gonna look like ass for awhile , then look cool then look like ass again... n eventually be great... but not if you keep screwing withum and trying n hurry the process..... backcombing doe not really know your hair.... just makes it a mess to start with and hopefully give them a jump start....... if speed n beauty were part of your plan a couple weeks into it all then you should have gone and gotten a perm...patience n time are what you need

4. oilymoily

oilymoily Banned

it is an excellent exercise in patience. if you want to, give your hairs a pep talk. tell them to go mad, just the ones on top, let them spread the word while you're sleeping. that's what I did, it seems to be working :) just relax and enjoy watching the changes. it is so worth the time and the frustration, because one day you'll wake up and say holy fuck when did these happen?!! and you'll be dread sexy ;) peace

5. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

talk to my hair....?

6. oilymoily

oilymoily Banned

yeah! just try it. if it helps, get drunk first :)

7. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

i'm up for that! hey, does anyone think i should take out the rubberbands. they seem to be helping. but i dunno

8. oilymoily

oilymoily Banned

yeah, take the buggers out. they "seem" to be helping now, but soon they'll only be eaten up by the dread monster and do you no good. they're all around pretty useless :)

9. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

take the bands out, take the wax out, stop back combing, put a hat on for 5 months and relax :) forget about the image of it and the hair will do itself :)

10. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

yeah i'm hesitant to do the hat thing. i ahve no problem with hats but it's almost summer here in alaska. and right now it's like, 56 degrees!(very hot for me) i would swet buckets with a hat on and i've heard lots of sweat can undo your dreads

11. BigBongRips

BigBongRips Member

is that true sweat can undo your dreads I figured the salt would help your hair get tighter

12. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Sweat's good for your dreads. Just be sure to rinse them before they get their stank on.

Dude...chill out, okay? Your dreads are babies. They're not even babies yet...they're newborns. Stop freaking out, you shouldn't expect ANYTHING at this stage.

Dreads usually take about a YEAR to develop. Even then they probably won't look how you picture them. You haven't even had them for two weeks and you're already worried about what they look like?

Leave them alone. All the stuff you're doing to them is just going to retard the process. They're going to be pretty fragile for a few months, so just do some rolling and separating once or so a week...other than that...

Just time. :)

13. Guest543

Guest543 Member

This worries me a bit. I've had my "dreads" since 3AM on Sunday, and I'm scared to give'em their first wash, which will probably be this upcoming Sunday. I can count at least 3 right now that I know for a fact will come out, and as much as I hope only those 3 come out, I know my entire head will probably come out.

I have lots of loopies too, I don't know if they're good or bad, but hopefully they're gone soon, lol.

Adrien, fear not.. I will probably go through the same thing as you are. You aren't alone, buddy. You should see how POOOOFFFYYY my hair is. It looks horrible, not even like dreads.. like a big frizzball of unbrushed hair, lol... but I'm gonna hang in there 'till the end. Don't give up, man. Let's do this together! =P

14. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

haha. all right man. hey, i'll add you to my buddies and keep you posted on how mine go. and to everyone else who's telling me not to freak out: your right. i'm just being impatient and stuff. but bear with me here. i love having long hair and i really love my dreads but it was kindof a big leap for me. and ya know when you go on a roller coaster for the first time and your all freaked out that it's ganna roll off the tracks or something? well, thats kindof how i feal. i'll get over it. thanks guys

15. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

It's all good. I think everybody feels like you're feeling the first week or so.

You two are going to have awesome dreads, I promise. :)

16. knotty rye

knotty rye Member

i was pretty bummed at the progress of my dreads in the first month and then i decided to chill. i've started wrapping some thread into a couple of them and rolling/separating them whenever i'm bored, but other than that i'm not sweating it anymore.

17. egle

egle Member

mine are 4 months old and going along ok. Some patches of lose hair where it went rong and got cut, which im letting grow out

But i waxed at first but when i snowboarding a week l8er and the ice and snow kill it all :D

18. lol yeah how long have you had them? like 2 seconds?
    they arent even dreads and wont be for ages. just chillllll

19. sped

sped Member

Lol I don't know if it even gets to 56F here in WINTER!!! In our summer it gets up to around 42C which I think is 108F. But its coming into winter now so I think Ill be wearing a hat (when im not wearing a headscarf). Maybe you could wear a hat when you sleep? I find that helps with mine, I just tuck them all in. and it works like an extra pillow!

20. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

yeah i was just thinking about the sleeping thing. i'll give it a try. along with giving them a "pep talk" lol