Goat Milk?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by honeyhannah, Sep 30, 2006.

1. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I have a ridiculous allergy to things like cow's milk... especially cheese, which gives me an immediate migraine.

And cooked eggs as well.

But a few months ago, I was trying to eat as much raw foods as I could, and to help keep grounded and full I was eating raw goat cheese, and I had no bad side effects from it at all.

I was wondering how you feel about goat milk, nimh, or if anyone knows anything about it's properties... I think I remember reading something about it being unique in some way, once. But I don't remember.

Also raw gruyere cheese(though I didn't eat much) didn't seem to have a bad effect on me either.

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I am highly allergic to skimmed milk -it give me haemorrhoids. Butter on th other hand is really good for me. Kinda of ironic the two products derive from the same base product.

Anyway,have you tried coconut cream? So far I have found it is a good cooking substitute for milk and cheaper and less processed than soy milk.

3. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Oh yeah... I definately use coconut milk(cream), coconut oil, and nut and seed milks... it's not a problem I don't miss cheese or milk... I just wonder about goat milk and cheese... I need to gain some weight is really the deal. I figured if I could eat raw goat cheese more often it might help me out there.

4. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

I was raised on goats milk....but I dont recall waht it tastes like...instead of formula when I were a baby...I were given goats milk, karo syrup and water all mixed together

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

hm, well when my kiddo started drinking cow's milk, he got horrible earaches. i went thru years and years of the same kind of thing when i was a kid, so i was doubly determined to make sure that my little guy didnt have to endure the same fate. we switched him over to goatie milk. he was still breastfeeding too, didnt fully wean until he was well past 4! human milk for humans! anyways, when we got him off the cow dairy and put him on the goat dairy, the earaches cleared up. obviously, i also quit cow dairy at that time since he was getting everything i was eating too.

goats are usually free ranged, where sometimes milk cows are kept in stalls and fed grains. free ranged animals have a better healthy fat ratio~more omega 3's. goat milk has much smaller proteins which are easier for us one stomached humans to digest than cow milk. and goats just arent factory farmed the same way cows are, so it's better environmentally, etc

july 2005, we went off of dairy altogether. dont really miss it most of the time. the thought of cheese makes me want to hurl, honestly. i've thought about adding raw goat's milk yogurt back into the household diet for the probiotics, but honestly, there are other ways to get healthy bacterial cultures (ie fermented veggies), so i dont really see the point. my kiddo is much better able to function in a non-autistic world when he's off of dairy, so we keep it out of our household diet.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

if i needed to gain weight, this is what i'd do: i'd check into the 'best diet ever'. my ex is a tall lean kind of guy and he bulked up on muscle mass eating that way

7. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Thanks for your story...

As for that diet... I definately agree that whole foods are the way to go... meat is just not something that I can eat however, I can do fish, but I can't do the other types of fish. I also can't eat cooked eggs, they block me up for days. But it should be easy for me to do the rest of that... especially with this move.