Go Ask Alice

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by ekoostikhookahchick, May 20, 2004.

1. ekoostikhookahchick

ekoostikhookahchick Member

I reccomend everyone to find and read the book "Go Ask Alice"
    It is a diary about a young teenage girl going through oh!what so many of us went thru!.drugs-sex-homeless-school issues-much more true life situations all wrapped up into one!....the end is a big shocker
    please please get and read it!!=)
    Thank you!!!

2. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

I hated that book. It's not true, it was put together by a bunch of adults to make sure kids never used drugs.

3. mjoda

mjoda Member

I always wondered if that book was as it says inspired by a true story or a bunch of bunk to deter teens from drugs, just out of my own personal curiosity, do you know of any website or literature stating that this book is bunk or where did you learn this?

hehe
    although, I used to read the part where they got the store over and over--cause it was so cool lol

4. DiffKettleOfFish

5. serra

serra tentacle girl

hehee, i liked that book. sure didn't deter me from wanting to do drugs though... probably made me want to do them more, because acid sounded cool!

6. stone

stone Member

Whether this book is true or not, its good. Its a definate classic.

7. God

God Member

That book is a joke. The manner of writing and speaking she uses is quite eloquent for a 15 year old, especially one that is homeless and drugged up on crack.

It's a piece of propaganda, and it's a very humorous book too, once you realize that it is just a tool. It's good for a laugh, sure.

8. mimosa

mimosa Banned

I read this book when I was about age 15, still have my original copy, and when I read it now, I do realize it was probably a manufactured piece of writing.

Still it is hard to put it down, interesting to read, but I doubt it deterred many kids from trying drugs.

I often wonder now, what exactly did she OD on? Too many unanswered questions.

I do remember for me and my friends, we were more interested in her using paper towels as Kotex, when she ran away that one time. Sorry if that's gross, but that's what I remember as our most relevant reaction. We didn't really question the sex and drugs too much.

9. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

i read it when i was in tenth grade and my friend started doing drugs then 9i didn't know much about them then) and tried to get him to read it so he'd stop. but he just tossed it in his locker and laughed at me. and now i do drugs, so i guess it didn't really do anything. haha.

10. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

yep. I was 14 when I read that book and after reading it I was sure I wanted to try acid. I was sorta disapointed to find out that the book had been fabricated.....I enjoyed it very much, but on the basis that is was all true. I wouldnt have read it had I known otherwise. Oh well. It was still good.

11. granola.kiss

granola.kiss Member

I love Go Ask Alice & I always finish it in one sitting. I recommend it to a lot of people, regardless of whether or not its true. To be completely honest with you, it makes me want to do drugs even more after reading.

xoxo
    cortnee

12. a feeling of wierdne

a feeling of wierdne Member

I checked it out on amazon and its looks like a pretty lame book. If i want to be scared out of doing drugs, i'll go to an A.A. meeting.

13. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

i thought a.a meetings were just for alcohol.

14. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

it seems as though the things designed to scare people away from drugs will usually just encourage people more.

i seem to remember being a little sceptical of the truth of the book when i first read it.

15. DandelionPrincess

DandelionPrincess Member

i read go ask alice when i was in 9th grade. before i read it actually i was totally against drugs, knew they were bad for me and would never do them. i still dont do drugs, but this book actually did kind of make me want to try. the book is rather cheesy writing and seems kind of impratical and thought that when i read it...not a surprise to hear it was actually fabricated. but that book made being on drugs sound so cool, i still kind of have a part of me that wants to try, but i wont b/c i like my brain...i'll just wait till i'm old :p

16. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

The first few chapters SEEMED real enough, but once i got half-way through the book it was all too obvious that it was fake. The one line "she" wrote, "anyone who says marijuana isn't addictive is a fool" just reeked of propaganda. And the fact that the entire school was trying to kill her because she was trying to "get clean"....HAH!

What sealed it was the very last paragraph....something along the lines of the chic was found dead. It then goes on to say that it didn't matter that she had died, because thousands of other children like her had died that year.

I'm telling ya, if anyone like that has EVER existed, there's something else wrong with them besides the drugs.

17. Pablo

Pablo Member

you are in denial. Its posible to do drugs without screwing up your life, but the book is not unrealistic, drugs can definetly fuck up your life

18. DiffKettleOfFish

I'm not in denial. That book is a worst-case scenario but it tries to play it off like if someone uses pot, they WILL get addicted to acid or coke or whatever when actually most pot users don't.

19. AlteredOrgan

AlteredOrgan Member

i was reading through it one day at borders and it was the most superficial sounding shit ive ever read....RL stein (author of the Goosebumps series) writes more sophisticated stuff than that. :$

20. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i've only read one of rl stein's books before. not that bad.